INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Double Playcounts (Samsung/AVI)  (Read 1819 times)

paulsalter

• Recent member
Double Playcounts (Samsung/AVI)
« on: April 26, 2015, 04:15:37 am »

Hi,
I am using the Samsung DLNA profile, which I have made one change and that is to send the original format so no transcoding is done, this works perfectly for playing my files, they all play without issue

However I have noticed the play counts are wrong when I play AVI files

I have a play list for unwatched so I know the play counts start at zero before I do anything

When I play an AVI file, after it has finished playing the play count gets set to 2 when I have only played it once
If I do the same with an MP4 file the play count correctly gets set to 1

Is this something you have seen mentioned before and is there a fix for it?

This is using my Samsung player, browsing files on it and then playing

Thanks

paulsalter

• Recent member
Re: Double Playcounts (Samsung/AVI)
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 05:28:31 am »

Is this just me or has anyone else seen this?

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 06:40:16 am »

It may be a quirk of the way your renderer is functioning...

When a UPnP Control Point (like MC) wants to play a track, it commands the renderer to download that track using an HTTP GET command; and (I think) the MC play counter is measuring how many such GETs have been received for every track.

However I have seen cases of renderers which, depending on the type & manufacturer, and the type of media file, make more than one GET to download a track file. In such cases, the first GET is either a) to check if the file even exists, and/or b) to check for meta data in the file, or c) to check if the server supports byte-range seeks. And the second GET is to actually fetch the media stream. In such cases the MC play counter would register two play counts for each actual play.

Because this depends in a very variable manner on the renderer type & manufacturer, and on the media type, it would be very hard for MC to solve this with an easy rule. Perhaps a new version of MC could be programmed to ignore duplicated GET's for the same track, from the same renderer, within a certain time window. Just an idea...
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

paulsalter

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 05:41:45 am »

Thanks for the info

Just seems odd that it only seems to affect my avi files

When I play an MP4 file it increased the play count once (cant remember if when starting play or near the end)
When I play an AVi, it increases the play count when it starts playing, and also again a few minutes before the end
Pages: [1]   Go Up