INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [FR] Video crossfade (audio only)  (Read 44076 times)

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
[FR] Video crossfade (audio only)
« on: April 27, 2015, 07:15:47 am »

Would it be possible to implement video-to-video / audio-to-video / video-to-audio crossfade for audio signal only? I can understand that crossfading video signals would require decoding on MC side, however crossfading the audio signals only should not be that much complicated task, right?
When playing at parties I do mix music videos with audio only content (Replay Gain rocks) and this would be a huge helper in order to achieve complete seamless performance.

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
Re: [FR] Video crossfade (audio only)
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 01:41:42 pm »

bump

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 04:24:43 pm »

Unfortunately that is not possible without a major architecture shift. Video and Audio use quite different playback engines inside MC, so that they cannot interact easily.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 04:30:34 pm »

...so that they cannot interact easily.
...even if it would be only the audio segment of the video file? I mean Replay Gain for instance can already be applied to video files (e.g. audio segment of the videos) therefore I thought it could be achievable.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 04:40:06 pm »

If I'm not mistaken, it might already just work when you play video files as audio files (ie. change their Media Type to Audio), because that runs through the plain audio engine.
But if you play video files as actual videos, with visible video, thats not going to work, sorry.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

ScottTheGrue

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 07:51:39 pm »

play video files as audio files (ie. change their Media Type to Audio), because that runs through the plain audio engine

I tried this and couldn't get it to work. :(

I'm evaluating MC 21 and I'm more interested in doing something like a Gapped Fade of videos  (rather than a crossfade).   I think the enhancement I'd like to see is to have Track Change options for the Video Player  similar to what exists for the Audio Player.   Specifically,  I'd love to have Gapped Fades (audio portion and video portion) during track changes and a Gapless feature for video files.

My goal is to create a playlist of video tracks where I can select specific songs from multiple concert dvds and nicely transition at the end of a song (to fade out the crowd applause).

Anyone have alternative techniques for this?

fooze

• Junior Woodchuck
  • TURN IT UP
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 06:59:41 am »

Looks like this might be what you're after:

http://www.vmix.com/

ScottTheGrue

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 05:54:25 pm »

thanks for the idea fooze.  I tried VMix (which is impressive for mixing multiple video sources and is targeted for live video production).   Indeed,  it does have the ability to re-encode my video file of concert footage and introduce a fade-out right where I'd want one.  And the price is right (free version avail).   However,  the version of VMix I trialed could not preserve the multi-channel audio from the original source.  It  down-sampled the audio to 2-channel stereo without much selection for controlling other audio characteristics).

For MC 21,  I got this far...
1) rip Concert DVDs with multi-channel audio (AC3 / DTS)
2) import into MC 21 library as a 'whole' concert
3) divide the video concert into individual songs using Particles  (see  http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Particles )
4) add some of the particles to a "Multi-channel music" Playlist containing a mixture of different video concerts and audio files

Then I set my Player | PlaybackOptions | Audio | Track Change  to the "Gapped Fade 5 seconds" setting.   (There's no such setting for Video Playback).

Currently,  when I play the playlist,  the audio media gets a nice face to silence before the next track plays.   But if the track is a video,  the video media doesn't fade and ends sharply at the end of the Playback range.

So,  my quest to have a way to fade out  a video file without having to hard-edit the track itself.

My quest continues....
Pages: [1]   Go Up