INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC for Mac and MC for Windows Compared  (Read 41899 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC for Mac and MC for Windows Compared
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2016, 04:10:51 pm »

IMO, WDM driver shouldn't be mentioned on Mac or Linux since it does nothing there.

There are a ton of things in the list that also "aren't relevant" on non Windows platforms (such as COM Automation support), but the point is that there is no equivalent function.

In other words, the Mac or Windows versions can't have COM support obviously, since they have no COM. But the OSX port could have Apple Event support allowing AppleScript and other applications to automate it. But it doesn't. Now that particular thing they won't ever add, because COM Automation is deprecated even on Windows (MCWS is the "new way" and the Mac and Linux versions support that just fine).

But, same rule applies for "audio driver functionality". No, it obviously can't have a WDM (Windows Driver Model) driver included, but it could have a similar OSX or Linux driver function. It doesn't.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2016, 08:56:40 pm »

I'm not clear on the details of how this works on Windows either. I don't think this has much (if anything) to do with the WDM driver support, which is about playing audio from other applications through MC. But, I haven't ever used the Line In support, and frankly, last I knew, this was discontinued in MC some time ago. I think there might be some kind of sideways "hacked" way to pull it off with either the ASIO or WDM driver support, but I don't remember all of the details.

In any case, I don't think this is a "fully supported" area on the Windows version either, and therefore isn't appropriate for this list. If you can find recent links that prove me wrong, I'll add it.

The line in is still fully supported (as far as I know, I use it all the time), and there are two methods: ASIO line in and live loopback (which uses WASAPI insteaa).  Maybe you were thinking of the recording functionality on Windows which is definitely deprecated (and non-functional). In any case both the ASIO line in and the WASAPI loopback are effectively manual software loopbacks (similar in function to the WDM driver but not a driver, you have to turn them on).  Your entry already addresses this as it says "* WDM Virtual Audio Driver and Loopback System"  the "loopback system" referenced there is the ASIO line in and/or WASAPI loopback.

You could add the clarifying text, but the key take away is that there is no way to get a live audio input into Mac or Linux, whereas Windows supports at least three different ways of doing it.  I'm with glynor: It's definitely relevant to Mac and Linux users that this functionality doesn't exist because it's key enabling functionality on the Windows version that (some) folks will want to know is missing on other platforms.  You can essentially use JRiver for windows as a general purpose audio processor, and you couldn't do that with the Mac or Linux versions.

gtimbers

• Recent member
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2022, 10:47:32 pm »

Yes, it should be significant for Mac as well.  What I don’t understand is programs like VLC, Audacity and hardware such as the Scarlett 212 all accept audio in through usb. 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up