INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Microsoft Windows 10 question  (Read 3285 times)

DanoJ

Microsoft Windows 10 question
« on: May 05, 2015, 11:37:31 am »

I am currently using Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. I have an HDMI cable going from my EVGA GEForce GTX 750TI video card in my computer to my TV, and I use Windows Media Center to play DVD movies I own that I have ripped to my hard drive (it beats having to switch DVD's all the time in my DVD player). The DVD's I have ripped to my hard drive are in standard DVD format, they have not been converted to any standard format like MP4, WMV, MPEG, etc. I have also ripped some Blu-Ray discs to my hard drive.

Since Microsoft stopped support for Windows 7, I will be upgrading to Windows 10 64 bit when it comes out, and Windows 10 does not have Media Center built in. I am considering purchasing JRiver Media Center to use in Windows 10.

My questions are:

1. Will my existing IR receiver and remote work with JRiver Media Center? The IR receiver and remote came with my HP Media Center computer.

2. Will JRiver Media Center still allow me to play my DVD's and Blu-Ray discs that I have ripped to my hard drive to my TV through the HDMI cable?

I apologize if someone else has already asked these questions, there are so many posts to go through :-)

Thank you for any help and information,
Dan Jolley

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Microsoft Windows 10 question
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 11:50:11 am »

I wouldn't worry about win7, not for another 5 years or so http://www.pcworld.com/article/2462643/what-happens-when-microsoft-ends-windows-7-mainstream-support-next-year.html

as for your questions I can't speak for JRiver, but I can't see why your HP won't work ... if it doesn't most remotes in the world won't work either :D

as for number two if it works now for you, they'll make it work for 10. Not sure how they can support XP any longer though - I see that it is still supported. I wouldn't jump the gun to Windows 10 until it becomes stable or you are into geeking and tweaking personally. I'm so happy I skipped Win8 reminds me of Vista.  ;D

kensn

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 11:58:06 am »

A lot of this depends on driver support for your hardware in Windows 10.

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

DanoJ

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 12:38:53 pm »

Arindelle, thank you for the reply and info! Since I am eligible for a free upgrade to Windows 10 within the first year after it comes out, I would rather upgrade for free than have to pay for Windows 10 later on. Yes, I am going to wait until it's stable, but it could turn out to be another Vista or Win8 :-)

I am currently beta testing the Win10 Preview using VMWare, but it is limited because it emulates the computer hardware and does not use the real hardware in my computer. The first preview release was pretty good, but recent releases seem to be getting worse especially in VMWare. I wish I had a spare computer I could install Win10 preview on so I could get a better idea how good (or bad) it works on a real computer.

LOL, I definitely agree with you about Win8 and Vista, those are the two worst operating systems that Microsoft has come out with.

I hated to see XP go, especially after they got all the bugs worked out, it was a very good OS. I know Win7 still has some years to go and I really like Win7, but sooner or later I'll have to upgrade to Win10 anyway. Who knows, I may change my mind and keep Win7. I'll wait and see how the Win10 preview releases go in the future.

Ken, thank you for the reply. I will be using the HP IR receiver and remote in my new computer I built last year. It has a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 motherboard with 16GB of memory, a 4.00 gigahertz AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core processor and a GTX 750TI video card. Since the hardware is fairly new, I shouldn't have a driver problem (I hope) :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up