INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playback thru a stack  (Read 974 times)

Cmagic

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Enjoying life with a little music....
Playback thru a stack
« on: May 11, 2015, 08:08:13 am »

Chers amis,

I don't know if this has been asked before - a quick search didn't return significant results - but here is the problem:

In the current situation (MC 20.0.103), when playing a stack of files with a missing top item (probably offline), MC throws a "Something went wrong with playback" error even if other files within the stack are online.
Is there a way to instruct MC to play whatever "online" file it finds thru a stack?

Say on my laptop I have a stack with a flac on top (located on my home NAS) and the mp3 version underneath on my local HDD. When I click play at home I want the flac to play, when I am on the go I want the mp3 version to play, using the same library. In order to do that I have to either 'expand stack' and make sure I choose the online version or set the one I want to play as "stack top".
I thought it might be convenient to just click play on a stack to playback whatever file is available.

What do folks think? Glynor, what's your idea on this?

Have a nice day,

Christian
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
Re: Playback thru a stack
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 01:58:01 pm »

Set up a play list that includes the files you want to have on the road, but limits the file types to include those files that you want (like .mp3 only for example).  Then use the 'Modify Results' feature to 'Limit Database to 'All''.  There is some default limiting that is always included, you can use the 'limit to' options to further restrict what you can see or set it to 'All' to see everything in your database including stuff that is normally hidden away.

Using "Limit Database to All" will look inside your stacked files and see the .mp3 version. 

I do something similar for my 5.1 versions of tracks.  Normally I want to play back the 2ch version, so I stack the 2ch and 5.1 versions together and make the 2ch version the top of the stack. Then I have a 'Surround Versions' view that just shows items > 2 channels and use the 'limit to all' feature to see the otherwise hidden tracks.

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
Re: Playback thru a stack
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 03:07:39 pm »

Hi Bart,

Of course the power of smartlists associated with stacks can do the trick.
Thanks for the idea.
With smartlists we're kind of breaking stacks apart, this is about the same as expanding them which I currently do.
It also requires a certain level of discipline in knowing which playlist to chose according to the situation home/road.

Anyway thanks for the tip,

All the best,

Christian
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)
Pages: [1]   Go Up