INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Id2 (Imaginary Device, generation 2)  (Read 3028 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Id2 (Imaginary Device, generation 2)
« on: May 13, 2015, 04:26:27 pm »

Imagine a device that you can use as a server or a player or a backup.  That's essentially what the JRiver Id is now.

Then imagine an improved Id that can discover other Id's and pair with them. 

Scattered around a home, they can discover each other.  

Any Id can play to any other.  Any Id can serve files to other Id's, other computers, tablets, and phones.

Any can be controlled by JRemote or Gizmo or another MC remote.

Start up playback in one location, and finish it in another.  Channel hop from one to another.

They will automatically back up their media files to another Id and restore them when needed.

This is where we're headed.  It's not a device -- it's an infrastructure.  It's an easier-to-use extension of the current Media Network.

The current JRiver Media Center will evolve to support it and work well with it.

The original Id will update itself to become an Id2 so it won't miss the party.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
Re: Id2 (Imaginary Device, generation 2)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 04:53:04 pm »

That sounds great!
Does that include synced playback?

dean70

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 05:12:28 pm »

Take a look at Microsoft HoloLens technology. JRiver Media Center projected Holographically would be the ultimate Media Player.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 05:16:48 pm »

If the ID2 becomes more like Sonos and other competition, while retaining the power of JRiver, it will be a game changer in my eyes.  The "like the others" stuff for me is:

1.  Playback sync (already mentioned)
2.  Easy setup for integration with the infrastructure.
3.  A big part of #2 is the remote integration.  In Sonos (for example), one remote automatically has access to all devices and can control playback on one or more, with a touch.  This is very consumer friendly.

I'm EXCITED to see what happens!

Brian.

csimon

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 05:18:03 pm »

This sounds much better!  For me, the key thing here is the fact that MC itself will be doing this, a pre-configured PC with MC on it is secondary.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 04:16:13 am »

Great Stuff - Looking forward to how Sync Playback between instances will work!
JRiver CEO Elect

Hilton

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 11:29:48 pm »

Looks like a pretty "sound" plan. :)

JRemote as a zone too I hope!
Syncronized playback is still the killer feature missing. (fingers crossed)

Here's another couple ideas while your thinking ease of use, it's tied to your channel hopping concept.

1.  Playdoctor/smartlist memories - A JRemote, MC & Id Feature

Ala car radio buttons (channel hop - like changing radio station genres)
Make it available as a 3x4 or 3x3 grid of buttons that popup on JRemote when you "press-hold-albumart for 1second"

2. Playdoctor enhancements -  "more from this" artist/album/genre - A JRemote, MC & Id Feature

Good for when your in random shuffle or play doctor and hear something you want to hear more of. (similar to playdoctor but more deliberate)
Make it available as a drop down under the shuffle icon on JRemote which then gives you a pop up button grid or list.

3. Playdoctor enhancements - "more like this" - "Playdoctor remote" - A JRemote, MC & Id Feature

Currently playdoctor only works for local playback on Id/MC20, it doesn't work when playing back to a JRemote device. (JRemote as a zone might fix this by default?)
Even if you don't make playdoctor work on a JRemote, make it available as a drop down under the shuffle icon on JRemote. (currently you have to change views to list view and use the action button)

Notice a trend here?  Making more use of the touch friendly JRemote and Playdoctor. :)

Pages: [1]   Go Up