INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WDM is gone  (Read 1476 times)

borges

• Recent member
WDM is gone
« on: May 18, 2015, 05:24:40 am »

I just installed 20.0.108. WDM is gone. I re-installed and rebooted twice. Still gone. Before I installed '108 I believe my system had recently audio-installed '103.

Any suggestions?

Børge

borges

• Recent member
WDM is gone
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 05:29:34 am »

OK, I found the explanation at http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/WDM_Driver

IMHO, the WDM is a major selling point for MC. Now I'll have to explain this procedure to users of my DAC. Any chance of getting it back into the default installation?

Børge

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
WDM is gone
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 05:34:38 am »

IMHO, the WDM is a major selling point for MC. Now I'll have to explain this procedure to users of my DAC. Any chance of getting it back into the default installation?

Not at this time. The majority of people don't know what it is and what it does, and it can be very disruptive to them, which is why we decided to let people "Opt-in" when they know what it does and they want to use it.
Enabling it is not a huge procedure, its selecting one option in the MC settings. All the other setup steps have to be taken in any case.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Re: WDM is gone
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 10:03:06 am »

Not at this time. The majority of people don't know what it is and what it does, and it can be very disruptive to them, which is why we decided to let people "Opt-in" when they know what it does and they want to use it.
Enabling it is not a huge procedure, its selecting one option in the MC settings. All the other setup steps have to be taken in any case.
I agree that opt-in is the right thing to do with the WDM Driver.
Though that is currently causing me (and anyone else using a standard user account) some problems right now, I'm sure they will be fixed eventually.

I do still think that making the whole WDM process to be far more descriptive rather than using confusing/cryptic names/terms for it would go a long way to making it easier for people to use.

Code: [Select]
JRiver Media Center 20  →  JRiver Virtual Audio Device
WDM Driver              →  JRiver Virtual Audio Device
Ipc                     →  System Audio Playback via JRiver Virtual Audio Device

And only replacing the driver when truly necessary, or finding a way to update the driver without resetting its configuration to the default 2ch 16/44 output would really improve the usability.
Every time a new version of MC is installed my configuration is reset to the default settings, the currently active sound device is changed, and the device itself often changes position in the device list meaning that some applications need reconfigured to output audio to the correct device.
It's very disruptive, and I understand why people find it confusing, or have given up on using it.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: WDM is gone
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 11:23:22 am »

I made a new thread to discuss the "losing settings" issue:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=97680.0
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up