INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Exiting a TV Show Episode back to Theatre View Menu  (Read 2525 times)

CharlieChaplin

• Recent member
Exiting a TV Show Episode back to Theatre View Menu
« on: May 31, 2015, 10:31:48 am »

Hi folks,

I have a noob question here about exiting an episode back into Theatre View.  I've noticed that once an episode that I'm watching ends JRiver just leaves me with a  black screen.  It seems JRiver doesn't know to return me to Theatre view.  The black screen will last indefinitely unless I manually return to JRiver.  The only way for me to get back to my episodes of the show I was watching is by hitting either 'Back' on my HP Media Center remote control or by hitting 'Escape' on my Keyboard. 

Is there a simple setting in JRiver to return me back to my episodes once an episode ends?

Thanks guys,
C.Chaplin

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Exiting a TV Show Episode back to Theatre View Menu
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 12:04:12 pm »

That's not normal.

Do you have anything oddball set up?  Can you describe any things you might have changed under Tools > Options > Theater View?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

CharlieChaplin

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 12:57:24 pm »

Hmmmm, I just thought of something, maybe I should elaborate.  I'm also using .iso extensions for all of my viewing.  I'm picky and when I look at an episode that has been converted to a  different format I can always see the integration of new artifacts and slight pixilation.  I want all of my tv shows to have as little degradation as possible.  Some of my old episodes look crappy enough as it is even on DVD    :-)

Could this be because of the fact that the .iso has to be mounted with VCD by JRiver?  Does JRiver not no how to return from playing an .iso file?

CharlieChaplin

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 09:49:09 pm »

Anybody have any ideas?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 10:24:18 pm »

There have been some reports of videos not stopping when they get to the end, and just sitting there at the last frame. Could this be what you are seeing?

What happens if you press stop when you see the black screen?

Recent report: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=97593.msg674210#msg674210
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

CharlieChaplin

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 11:29:32 pm »

RoderickGI,

Thanks for offering some feedback.  I just tested, and it appears that if I hit Stop on the remote at the black screen it sends me back to the episode selection screen, so does the Back button on my remote.  This isn't random however, this seems to happen with all of my shows.  This might appear to be isolated to an .iso extension issue.  Is there any way around this?  It would be a bummer if I we are stuck to having to hit stop after every episode in order to return to the episode screen in JRiver.

Thanks again for your response,
C.Chaplin

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 12:38:29 am »

I can't help you with ISO files, as I don't use any.  So, I'm only guessing here, but...

When you open an ISO, MC (and the OS) treats this identically to opening an actual optical disc in a disc drive.  When you play a "real" DVD or BluRay, they typically don't "end" when you finish playing the movie, they return back to the main menu of the disc.  So, how this behaves almost certainly depends on how the ISO file was authored: whether it is set to auto-end, pause at the end, loop playback, or whatever choice was made when the disc/ISO was created (in the authoring application).

I don't know how you made those ISO files, but therein might lie the rub. However, this sounds like it could also be the issue:

There have been some reports of videos not stopping when they get to the end, and just sitting there at the last frame. Could this be what you are seeing?

If you are ripping individual episodes to ISO, then you almost certainly should not be doing this. Instead use MakeMKV (or an application like it, but I'd strongly recommend using it) to rip them to standard media files.  MakeMKV, unlike some other similar tools, does not re-encode the video in any way and does not alter the quality of the video in any way.  It simply converts the "formatting" of the video from the IFO/VOB format used by a DVD player to the file-based format preferred by computers (MKV in this instance).

This also has the benefit that the rips are quick, because it isn't messing with the video in any way, just copying the existing streams onto your hard drive.  This is identical, conceptually, to ripping an audio CD to WAV.  It changes nothing, just puts it in a MKV "wrapper".

It is a fantastic tool, and you'll probably be much happier with your Library setup if you go with this system of storage.  For movies, if you want to preserve the menu system on the disc, then you might want to rip those to ISO, but otherwise, going to files is almost always the way to go.

Oh, and MakeMKV can convert the ISOs you already have (it can rip from those just like it can from actual optical discs).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

AVTechMan

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 12:59:01 am »

I've had some DVD's ripped as ISO's myself at one time, and hasn't worked very well when it comes to the very end. I had the same problem with Emby too with ISO files where it would freeze or crash at the end of the video.

Best to simply put it in MKV format.

CharlieChaplin

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 10:38:06 am »

Thank you very much for your advice guys, looks like MKV it is then  :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up