INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Increase Volume  (Read 5304 times)

l8mdl

• Recent member
Increase Volume
« on: June 10, 2015, 09:11:45 am »

I would like to increase the volume on a ripped CD and then transfer the file to my Pono with the increased volume present without altering any other files on the device. Is there a way to do this in JRiver Pono software?

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Increase Volume
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 03:33:29 am »

There are various ways you could do this:

Using PMW, you could use Library Tools->Convert Format with DSP options (eg Adaptive Volume) to permanently alter the files for a louder volume. (Not recommended)

OR you could use the DSP options during Sync to do the conversion only during the transfer, leaving the originals intact.

Or, using JRiver MC (which can also write to the Pono) you could use the DPS Parametric Equaliser to boost volume, which isn't in PMW.

One of the things I do for car transfer is use the DSP to Volume Level everything (using R128 data from Analyze Audio) and then boost by +6dB.  This levels all tracks and then restores 6dB of volume.  This does risk clipping on some tracks, but for the car I find it's better to have volume encoded as my volume knob runs out of "power" otherwise.  Similarly with the Pono, I find myself running near full volume often enough that I'd not want any extra attenuation in the source files.

Anyway, PMW/JRiver gives a huge amount of control over volume options such as this.  It's just a case of exploring the software to uncover everything :)

l8mdl

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 12:39:36 pm »

Thanks for the tips  :)

BrianKW

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 03:36:18 pm »

There are various ways you could do this:

OR you could use the DSP options during Sync to do the conversion only during the transfer, leaving the originals intact.

Or, using JRiver MC (which can also write to the Pono) you could use the DPS Parametric Equaliser to boost volume, which isn't in PMW.

What is JRiver MC?
Is it free to Pono owners?

Right now I load songs into Audacity to boost or reduce volume (and do a little EQing if needed for certain Headphones.)
I obviously make sure to keep an accurate folder of the unmodified music.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 03:59:30 pm »

You can read about JRiver Media Center here:
www.jriver.com

It's $49.98.

MC has very good DSP features.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 04:04:51 pm »

PMW is a subset of JRiver Media Center with a Pono layer added.  MC is not free but is worth every penny IMO.  

BrianKW

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 06:27:25 pm »

Thanks, guys!

Edited a few days later.

Wow...the EQ in PMW is miles better than what is used in Audacity.
Is it even better in MC?
Pages: [1]   Go Up