INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Guide for tablet streaming - EOS is crushing my CPU  (Read 2022 times)

eezetee

• World Citizen
Guide for tablet streaming - EOS is crushing my CPU
« on: June 10, 2015, 11:29:58 pm »

I most likely missing some settings but I've got a Google Nexus (Android) tablet using EOS software to view content directly on the device.  The theatre views and all work perfeclty and i'm super happy with both!

The problem is that when I was a higher definition mp4 file,  all 3 CPU's (yes, an odd number, i'm running a VM)  spike to 100% and the video pauses.    It basically becomes unwatchable as the freezes feel to become more frequent although are probably not.

Is there some settings somewhere that I can adjust. Maybe it's transcoding the mp4 ?

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Guide for tablet streaming - EOS is crushing my CPU
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 04:24:26 am »

Streaming to mobile Android devices will always use transcoding, which does require quite a bit CPU performance.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

eezetee

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 08:32:59 am »

Hi Hendrik,

Is there any way to lessen this burdon?  My server spikes to 100% during the time.   Is my own option to throw more CPU at the problem?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 08:51:03 am »

Hi Hendrik,

Is there any way to lessen this burdon?  My server spikes to 100% during the time.   Is my own option to throw more CPU at the problem?

You can try lowering the video quality setting in Eos, my experience is that changing that setting can slightly improve playback performance with the kind of bottleneck you're seeing, but video transcoding is a very CPU intensive task no matter what.  It will spike to 100% for some amount of time regardless of the CPU power available, it's just a question of how long it stays at 100%.  My server runs virtualized on 3 cores of a 4790S, and when Iw atch video on a device with gizmo or eos it pegs the CPU for five or ten seconds and then drops down to a lower utilization.  It will periodically spike at intervals after that, but playback is generally smooth.

If your utilization goes to 100% and never leaves, you need more CPU power.  If you plan to transcode multiple streams at once you need even more.  Unfortunately, adding more cpus to a virtual machine won't necessarily actually help.  Setting more than the number of actual physical (not virtual) CPU cores available will lead to worse performance, not better.  So if you're running a normal quad-core i7, you only have a little more room before you're effectively capped out.  Bare metal will, of course, typically work much better.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 09:01:32 am »

We do plan to offer some more flexibility with this in the future, and allow using encoding hardware in the GPUs to lessen the burden on the CPU - however if you're running in a VM, making use of the GPU encoder is probably not going to help you.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

eezetee

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 08:11:26 am »

That's for the info mwillems.  The current server is an i5, but i've only allocated 3 cores to the VM and it's doing another task as well that's somewhat (20%) expensive to perform.

I've got a need 6C/12 i7 beside me for the new house that is exactly for this purpose but I haven't moved the data over.  I guess this is a great reason for buying some beer on a Friday and doing data migration.

I was thinking it was because the android tablet was only connecting at 54/65 mbit,  but then I looked at the CPU.  It stays pegged from the moment I click play.  Maybe it'll stop.

Is there a way to adjust the pre-buffer or toy with any of those settings?

Certain file types should be streamable without transcoding no?
Pages: [1]   Go Up