INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver stops after each track from NAS to DAC  (Read 3762 times)

cheadrick

• Recent member
JRiver stops after each track from NAS to DAC
« on: June 13, 2015, 06:14:51 am »

Hello all,
I am testing JRiver MC20 to use in my stereo and have a problem I cannot seem to solve.

I have a:
PSAudio PerfectWave DirectStream DAC with a PSAudio Network Bridge installed
QNAP TVS-463 NAS holding my music files in FLAC format
Both devices are connected to my 1GB Ethernet home network through a switch
Lenovo T420 laptop running JRiver MC20, can be wired or wireless

I can add tracks to the Playing Now list for the DAC but the playback always stops after each track.
If I manually start the next track it will play.

Does anyone have an idea why I am having this problem?

Thanks,
Chip

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver stops after each track from NAS to DAC
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 07:15:44 am »

Are you using UPnP / DLNA ? If so then in MC right click on the renderer and disable SetNext support.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

cheadrick

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 08:16:12 am »

Hi Andrew,
I am using UPnP / DLNA and I have disabled Set / Next as you suggested already but it has not helped.
Chip

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 08:20:30 am »

Just to make sure, you don't have Stop After Each Item enabled under the "repeat" button, right?

"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

cheadrick

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 06:31:04 am »

I have just checked and I do not have 'Stop After Each Item' checked.

Any other ideas?
My trial is running out and I still can not get the system to play continuously.

Many Thanks,
Chip

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 09:59:47 am »

Sorry for the trouble.  If that is not enabled, then the issue would seem to be on the PS Audio's side.

Make sure you've enabled the DLNA Server as they recommend (which is basically just the Audiophile 24-bit DAC preset, I believe).  You may want to read through, or ask for help, on their Forum here:
http://www.psaudio.com/forum/

It looks like they have a whole bunch of users with similar setups, and there might be some kind of fiddly thing you need to tweak under Advanced in the DLNA Server setup to get it to work reliably.  They'd be the ones to ask with the best hope of providing an easy answer.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 11:23:57 am »

For the benefit of others reading this thread, the OP (Chip) had contacted me recently concerning the tests that he ran on the PS Audio device using my DMR analyzer tool (see the link in my sig below). And I think that it is fair to say that the PS Audio is (shall we say) rather exotic in its implementation of the UPnP / DLNA specification.

The following are my observations from the PS Audio test report...

• The renderer claims to support UPnP DMR v2 and DMR v3 specifications in addition to the usual DMR v1 specification. However I think that PS Audio is cheating a bit when they claim their device to support DMR v2 and DMR v3. All versions have exactly the same features. And indeed they all use exactly the same UPnP Device Description Document, and the same SOAP Control URLs etc. In other words, they do not offer anything new in their (so called) DMR v2 and DMR v3 than what their DMR v1 offers. I suppose that strictly speaking they are allowed to do that, since the v3 & v2 must be backward compatible with v1, but it would have been nice if they had actually added some new features such as SynchPlay (to name just one).
  • The PS Audio seems to have failed while playing the initial basic stereo MP3 test track (“Play test file result=Play failed => Start Ok / Time out”) – it reported that it started playing the track properly by reporting the START status, but it did not report the STOP status at the end of the track. Did you (OP) hear that initial test track actually playing? This tells me that the PS Audio is a bit buggy (perhaps it does not support UPnP status event reporting properly). However without running more tests (*), I cannot tell you much more.
  • The OP observed that the renderer fails to play M4A tracks. My test application is pushing M4A ALAC (Apple lossless) format files, which perhaps the PS Audio cannot play. Apple also has a M4A AAC (compressed audio) format that perhaps the PS Audio can play. Unfortunately the published mime type “audio/m4a” does not differentiate the two formats.
  • The OP observed that other format tracks were not playing, or not playing well. The test tracks are all left track, right track, so if you (OP) only heard the right track, that means the player is dropping the left channel beep. Also the click that you (OP) observed on some tracks implies a similar problem. Given the other observations above, I would say that PS Audio has not yet really mastered their UPnP implementation. You (OP) might want to give this feedback to them…

(*) If you (OP) are interested to find out more you could perhaps repeat the tests for me, but check the “Enable HTTP Logging” box at the bottom left of the screen before you press the “Select Media Renderer” button at the top right, and send me the HTTP log file as well..

EDIT: My comment above about possible problems with "Status Event Reporting" reminds me of something: In MC please right click on the renderer | DLNA Controller Options | and select "Ignore Transport Events for broken Renderers"..

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

cheadrick

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2015, 11:46:56 am »

Hi glynor,
I have started a thread on the PS Audio forums concerning this problem.

Hi Andrew,
Second Bullet
I did hear the initial MP3 introduction play through and it seemed to end correctly.
It also seems to have played through and when I select the MP3 test from the test list.

Fourth Bullet
I all cases where I indicated I heard the playback I heard both channels. The clicks were in addition to the Left / right channel playback.

I will try to find an evening next week and rerun the test with HTTP logging turned on and send you the results.

Thanks to both of you for your help and advice,
Chip

cheadrick

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 06:54:49 am »

Hi all,
After much frustration I think I may have finally found a work around for my problem on the PS Audio forums.
I signed on to the Web page of the PS Audio DAC and executed a Reset UPnP Server command.
Since the reset I have played more than a dozen CDs and mixed playlists without any interruptions.
The reset seems to have fixed my problem.
Thanks for all the advice and patience,
Chip

cheadrick

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 08:39:40 am »

Hi Andrew,
Emailed the log file to you Sunday afternoon. Anxious to hear what you think.
Chip
Pages: [1]   Go Up