INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WDM Driver question: always play in set zone instead of current MC zone?  (Read 2930 times)

mirdle

• World Citizen

Hello -

I have really enjoyed the new WDM driver feature.  This was unexpected but has been very nice.

One question:  Is there a way to force WDM to always play in a preset zone?  Currently, WDM plays to whatever zone is the current zone in MC 20 (i.e. the last zone that I clicked on).

Or, perhaps a better question, is there a way to keep the current zone from changing when clicking into another zone?

Thanks for any help.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver

Create a WDM zone.
Setup ZoneSwitch.
I use this rule for the WDM zone:  [Filename (path)]=[live:////ipc]
Make sure that your ZoneSwitch rules stop playback in other zones that are part of your playback group.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient

mirdle

• World Citizen

Thank you.  I got it to (mostly) work!

sirkus

• World Citizen

Is it possible to autoselect the active zone in the interface? And/or with a remote?

stewart_pk

Is it possible to autoselect the active zone in the interface? And/or with a remote?

Ctrl-T will toggle zones.

I use LMRemote Keymap and program the mouse to move to the right places and click the right buttons after clicking on a "PowerDVD" button on my Logiutech Harmony remote.

flac.rules

mwillems

• MC Beta Team

But what is you have several other zones, and want it to jump back to the last used zone?

It works best if you have zoneswitch setup for all zones.  I recognize that one can't always create mutually exclusive routing rules, but if you can it's pretty seamless.  If you can't, you'll need to switch the zone back manually when you want to use a different zone.

For example, I have an audio zone, a video zone, and a WDM zone (as well as a few other special purpose zones that don't have routing rules).  I have mutually exclusive rules for audio video and wdm, and I mostly never think about what zone I'm in.  I just play what I want, and it lands in the right place.  If I need to use one of the "special" zones, I just select it manually, but I made sure that there were frictionless routing rules in place by default so the family can use the HTPC without having to think about zones.

flac.rules

It works best if you have zoneswitch setup for all zones.  I recognize that one can't always create mutually exclusive routing rules, but if you can it's pretty seamless.  If you can't, you'll need to switch the zone back manually when you want to use a different zone.

For example, I have an audio zone, a video zone, and a WDM zone (as well as a few other special purpose zones that don't have routing rules).  I have mutually exclusive rules for audio video and wdm, and I mostly never think about what zone I'm in.  I just play what I want, and it lands in the right place.  If I need to use one of the "special" zones, I just select it manually, but I made sure that there were frictionless routing rules in place by default so the family can use the HTPC without having to think about zones.

Yeah, , but I have another setup, I have a speaker zone and a headphone zone for instance, its not really "unsolvable" as of today (just a bit more of a hassle), but it might be better(?) to have a "special WDM-zone", that all WDM sounds are routed to always. This might also make it easier to have som kind of "passthrough"-function with WDM, but that is a bit on the side of the topic.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team

Yeah, , but I have another setup, I have a speaker zone and a headphone zone for instance, its not really "unsolvable" as of today (just a bit more of a hassle), but it might be better(?) to have a "special WDM-zone", that all WDM sounds are routed to always. This might also make it easier to have som kind of "passthrough"-function with WDM, but that is a bit on the side of the topic.

I also have a headphone zone (that's one of my "specials").  The way to resolve your issue for now is to make multiple WDM zones each in mutually exclusive relationships with other zones.  When a group of zones have mutual stop playback rules with each other, they form a closed loop.  So you could have a headphone WDM and a speaker WDM zone, and they'd only get switched to when you were in the headphone zone or speaker zones respectively.  I've done that in some setups, so that I get autoswitching with a given output, but I can still switch outputs manually.  It works fine.

I agree that it would be better if the WDM driver re-routing were handled automatically and internally; the tools exist to fix it in the software, but it would probably be better if it worked like this out of the box.
Pages: [1]   Go Up