INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Collation of letters with accents  (Read 1317 times)

aysil

• Recent member
Collation of letters with accents
« on: June 21, 2015, 04:09:15 pm »

Names starting with letters with accents, like É (eg Édith Piaf) go to the end of all items starting with that letter in MC. Édith Piaf is listed at the end of all names starting with E, just before F.

Afaik, in English, modified letters (such as those with diacritics) are treated the same as the base letter for alphabetical ordering purposes, so Édith Piaf should have been listed among other artists starting with E, irrespective of the accent (before Eduardo Delgado). It would be the same in French.

JRiverMC seems to have felt safer by treating all modified letters with diacritics as separate letters and collating them after their unaccented counterparts. This may be because there are different extra letters in different languages and thereby different conventions for alphabetical order.

I think this treatment of modified letters by the windows version of MC is fine. What do you think?

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Collation of letters with accents
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 04:35:10 pm »

I would be prefer that they were treated the same as the "regular" character for sorting purposes, rather than being unique.
I suspect that other people would prefer that they are treated as unique characters for sorting, so it might be best for it to be a preference - perhaps even in the language menu?

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Collation of letters with accents
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 06:12:55 pm »

+1
Pages: [1]   Go Up