INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver does not 'see' Apple TV devices....  (Read 6509 times)

Scoobie

JRiver does not 'see' Apple TV devices....
« on: July 02, 2015, 05:29:58 am »

Hello all,

I am a new convert to JRiver coming from iTunes.
I am loving JRiver, but have some problems, most pressing of which, JRiver does not automatically 'see' my Apple TV devices (1 in the living room, 1 in the bedroom).
JRiver automatically 'saw' my Marantz NA6500 streaming device but not the Apple TV units, which I just want to use as Airplay speakers.
I have searched the forum, there are lots of results for Apple, but not this issue.

May I ask for help please?... Any ideas?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver does not 'see' Apple TV devices....
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 06:02:43 pm »

MC does not directly support AirPlay, as a Zone. So, I'm not sure what you're after, exactly. The devices that show up automatically as Zones are DLNA devices (like your AVR), but it does not support Apple's proprietary AirPlay functionality.

You can use AirPlay mirroring to an AppleTV, though, or route your audio to it, and this works fine. I do this regularly.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 06:06:51 pm »

Actually, I think I might be a liar.  AirPlay does show up as one of the available Audio Devices under Options > Audio.  I don't know what it does, as I've always directly selected it in System Preferences > Audio or via mirroring when I've used it.

Dunno. You could try that, and that could be a Zone.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Scoobie

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 05:20:24 am »

So it seems there is no way for JRiver to see my Apple TV devices or Airport Express as a destination for Airplay.
This is disappointing, I guess it is proprietary Apple software that does this. 

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 08:42:40 am »

I don't have a complete answer for you, as I don't own any of these devices and I haven't  played with them myself.  But I've done a little research in the past and found this piece of software which says it allows audio to be sent to airplay devices from ANY program.  It's called AirFoil.

https://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/mac/

It's got a free trial mode (limited to 10 minutes of audio), so you can try it to see if it works with no risk.

Let us know how this works out for you.

Brian.

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 02:05:38 am »

I found that you can get it to work.  You have to select an AirPlay device for your main system output.  Once this is done, you can set your system output back and MC will still use that selected AirPlay target.

I'm hopeful that Apple has provided support for developers to access airplay devices directly and then we can just specify them as zones.

jtconte

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 11:31:35 am »

Yes, I too have some Airport Expresses and it would be great if I could easily select them within MC!

RCFlyer

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2015, 12:23:40 pm »

Sorry but I'm still confused by the posts. I'm running MC21 on a MAC Book Pro with the new and old versions of the Apple TV with the latest updates. I can get the movie to play by selecting the Apple TV from the AirPlay (Mirror) but when doing so, I do not get any audio sound. Sound preferences has the output selected at AirPlay for the selected Apple TV.
If MC21 does indeed support Apple TV, then could someone please post the MC21 settings? Is there a workaround?
I also have Samsung Speakers connected via Blue Tooth and if I reroute Apple to use the Samsung BT AND the Apple TV via airplay, it still does not allow sound.
If I only have the Samsung BT and play music, it works fine (without the Apple TV connected to the MAC).
Pages: [1]   Go Up