INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changing Tags on NAS from Id  (Read 3341 times)

philpit

Changing Tags on NAS from Id
« on: July 14, 2015, 08:45:37 am »

My Id's Main Library successfully imports from a public share on a NAS and plays without problem. However, when I try to change tags, it does not complete the change; the message including something about "changing tags" persists at the bottom of the MC window. If I close MC, it reveals an error window listing each file I tried to change on the NAS saying the file is locked. I click on "OK". Then when MC restarts, the changes have been successfully performed. I do have the option to save library changes in file tags enabled so that changes show up on both the Id and a Windows PC version of MC, but this problem persists even when the Windows PC is shut down. Can you tell me what is preventing the changes from taking place until MC on the Id is closed and reopened?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Changing Tags on NAS from Id
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 10:50:57 am »

Almost certainly the issue is that the Id lacks write permissions on the public share on the NAS.  I've seen exactly the behavior you're describing when I try to make changes to a file that I lack write permissions for. 

philpit

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 02:48:43 pm »

When you experienced this, did the writes complete by simply closing MC and reopening? That aspect of my situation does not seem compatible with a lack of write permission. In my installation, the NAS files are in a public folder where all users have read/write permission and the ID has the NAS share mounted with log-in and password and r/w access. Am I missing something?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 03:11:59 pm »

When you experienced this, did the writes complete by simply closing MC and reopening? That aspect of my situation does not seem compatible with a lack of write permission. In my installation, the NAS files are in a public folder where all users have read/write permission and the ID has the NAS share mounted with log-in and password and r/w access. Am I missing something?

The writes appeared to complete after closing MC (MC would show the tags as changed), but did not actually complete (the tags would not get written to the actual files).  MC does not just need access to the directories, it also needs access to the files themselves.  Find a file that doesn't work, and check it's permissions.

philpit

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 06:37:23 pm »

Yes, I see now that does seem to be the problem. Unfortunately, so far I can't figure out how to give MC the necessary permissions. I have the Id set to log on to the drive as a user that does have the required permissions, but still no access. I am unable to edit the folder/file permissions for Everyone from the Windows PC. I am learning much more about security properties than I ever wanted to know, but thank you very much for your help.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 06:56:32 pm »

There are two related issues that need to be addressed when correcting file permissions:

Actual file permissions (On Unix-like systems all files have an owner, a group, and a set of permissions intrinsic to them) and SMB/CIFS file permissions (the permissions given to users accessing the share).  They're not the same, and whichever is more restrictive wins. 

For example, if you configure the share to give read and write permissions to a given user, a user logging in will not necessarily have read and write permissions for all files if the files themselves have more restrictive permissions.

You won't be able to change the permissions on the windows PC through explorer in part because windows doesn't really "understand" Unix file permissions, but if you can log into your NAS somehow, you can change the permissions on the NAS.  Does your NAS provide a terminal interface?  Are you comfortable on the command line at all?  I know nothing at all about commercial NAS's, but if you can get to a command line on the NAS I can offer some suggestions. 

The short term "easy" fix is to chmod all the existing files to have global read-write permission, but that's not a great idea for security, and won't fix things going forward. 

The long term (and better) fix is to create an access group, change all existing files to be owned by that group, include both your windows and Id users in that group, set the permissions correctly, and then set the directories to use the new access group by default in the future.

Pages: [1]   Go Up