INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio Streaming Error in JRemote  (Read 25265 times)

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Audio Streaming Error in JRemote
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2020, 05:35:32 pm »

It is the cover art size and it's failing in the stream open to play to the device with a file format error.
I'm checking to see if the ones I have will play natively on the device to try and narrow down where the fault is, update they work as files on the device.
Looking into it more...

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2020, 07:15:38 am »

Last time I saw this issue, it was simply that the cover art box was too big. But it occurs to me that the order of the boxes in an m4a file is not formally fixed, so it might be that having a large cover art box at the start of the file might cause the audio box to run out of space to play. So I would look at reducing the size of the art, and or moving it to the end of the file...
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

xeroian

• Recent member
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2020, 11:05:17 am »

I don’t believe it should be incumbent on me to resize embedded artwork since the albums I have problems with have all been purchased from HDTracks and downloaded using JRiver written software! I have never noticed this problem with Qobuz downloads.

I always buy the ALAC version for compatibility with my iDevices but often I find that JRemote gives me the streaming error and refuses to play. If I convert the album to FLAC using JRiver it works okay. If I convert it back to ALAC using JRiver it bombs again.

My latest example of this is Robbie Robertson’s Sinematic purchased last weekend.

The crazy thing is that if I have JRiver running as a server on one Windows machine and have JRiver on a second machine accessing the DLNA server then I can use JRemote to play music via the second machine and it works perfectly.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2020, 11:15:40 am »

I don’t believe it should be incumbent on me to resize embedded artwork since the albums I have problems with have all been purchased from HDTracks and downloaded using JRiver written software! I have never noticed this problem with Qobuz downloads.

I always buy the ALAC version for compatibility with my iDevices but often I find that JRemote gives me the streaming error and refuses to play. If I convert the album to FLAC using JRiver it works okay. If I convert it back to ALAC using JRiver it bombs again.

My latest example of this is Robbie Robertson’s Sinematic purchased last weekend.

The crazy thing is that if I have JRiver running as a server on one Windows machine and have JRiver on a second machine accessing the DLNA server then I can use JRemote to play music via the second machine and it works perfectly.
The problem appears to be in the library we are using. I've sent a test file to the author.
I also noticed that FLAC with the same cover art works, the path is different because it has to get converted by a plugin first then it goes to the same library.

The reason it works through the chained servers is that you are not in that case using the original cover art. It might not actually even be a ALAC file by that point.

xeroian

• Recent member
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2020, 11:51:07 am »

Bob, Thanks for confirming. This forum needs a thumbs up button.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2020, 12:42:16 pm »

Got it. It will be fixed in the next release.
If anyone wants to beta test it drop me a PM.

yenibahar

• Recent member
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2021, 03:23:34 pm »

I have the same problem. Until recently I always used iTunes to rip my CDs into ALAC, discarding iTunes' cover art and instead appending manually one cover art in the 900x900 pix dimensions. JRemote never had a problem reading these files when streaming from Media Center.

However, I recently switched to a bit-perfect ripping solution EAC (Exact Audio Copy) to improve the quality of my rips. Now for the first time ever JRemote is not playing my ALAC files that have been ripped with EAC software that uses FFMpeg as external encoder for ALAC. After the ripping/ALAC conversion, I embed in the files the cover art manually using iTunes, in a 900X900 size (typically ~300-350kb). The files play perfectly fine on my PC in JRiver Media Center (and any other PC audio app) as well as PlexAmp on my iPhone but JRemote gives the streaming error. I even tried to reduce the size of the embedded cover art into 600x600pix. No change. It's a pity. Unless there is a fix for JRemote, I think I am retiring JRemote and switching to PlexAmp for streaming onto my iPhone... :-(

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2021, 09:04:02 am »

I have the same problem. Until recently I always used iTunes to rip my CDs into ALAC, discarding iTunes' cover art and instead appending manually one cover art in the 900x900 pix dimensions. JRemote never had a problem reading these files when streaming from Media Center.

However, I recently switched to a bit-perfect ripping solution EAC (Exact Audio Copy) to improve the quality of my rips. Now for the first time ever JRemote is not playing my ALAC files that have been ripped with EAC software that uses FFMpeg as external encoder for ALAC. After the ripping/ALAC conversion, I embed in the files the cover art manually using iTunes, in a 900X900 size (typically ~300-350kb). The files play perfectly fine on my PC in JRiver Media Center (and any other PC audio app) as well as PlexAmp on my iPhone but JRemote gives the streaming error. I even tried to reduce the size of the embedded cover art into 600x600pix. No change. It's a pity. Unless there is a fix for JRemote, I think I am retiring JRemote and switching to PlexAmp for streaming onto my iPhone... :-(
The cover art size limitation was fixed quite a while ago. Are you running the current version of JRemote?

yenibahar

• Recent member
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2021, 12:10:44 pm »

I suspect it is not the cover size issue since I have already tried with smaller cover size. In fact, just in case, I upgraded yesterday from my v.26 to 27 and unfortunately the problem with JRemote continues.

yenibahar

• Recent member
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2021, 12:18:33 pm »

Is there a way to send one of the non-working music files for review/diagnosis?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2021, 03:23:23 pm »

Is there a way to send one of the non-working music files for review/diagnosis?
You could email one of the smallest ones you have to bob (at) jriver.com.

I expect that something weird is being added to the tags somewhere along the way.
You could test by adding the cover art in MC as opposed to iTunes.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up