INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Set up streaming from MC to iphone  (Read 4186 times)

Nimogel

Set up streaming from MC to iphone
« on: July 30, 2015, 11:26:34 am »

I downloaded MC trial for my PC and imported my library. Initially, I only want to listen to my music on my iphone 5s using headphones. Have attempted set up of remote under tools options but this did not work...no idea if I am in the right area. Any help in advising the right path / apps and how to set up are most appreciated.
-Peter

adamt

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Set up streaming from MC to iphone
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 12:09:32 pm »

JRemote is the app typically used for listening on iPhones.  Have you installed it?
Adam Thompson, JRiver

Nimogel

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 12:28:38 pm »

Not yet, I wasn't sure that was what I would need. Guess I need to buy the app....was hoping to ensure JRiver met my needs prior to spending any cash on apps or the MC membership. The MC works well so far so I will take the jump and buy the app.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 12:38:24 pm »

You can test things out with webgizmo first.  JRemote offers a nicer user experience, but webgizmo is free and should work on any device that has a browser.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/WebGizmo

Nimogel

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 01:50:24 pm »

Thanks, will give that a try.

Weirdomusic

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 06:15:27 pm »

Not yet, I wasn't sure that was what I would need. Guess I need to buy the app....was hoping to ensure JRiver met my needs prior to spending any cash on apps or the MC membership. The MC works well so far so I will take the jump and buy the app.

It's well worth your money, I can highly recommend it.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 06:21:11 pm »

To stream from MC to your iOS device when you are away from home, you will generally need to set up Port Forwarding on your home router, to forward MC's port through the firewall on the router to the computer that runs MC.

The best bet is to get streaming working first while at home (with the iOS device connected to the same network as the PC that runs MC).  Only then try to set up streaming over the Internet.

How you do this is specific to your particular router and home network setup, but with typical home routers, it usually involves:

1. Setting up the computer that runs MC with a static (unchanging) IP address on your home LAN.
2. Opening up the administrative web page served by your home router (often https://192.168.0.1 or something like that) and logging into it with the administrative password (this is different from your Wifi password, or very well should be).
3. Finding NAT or Port Forwarding settings in the router's admin interface, wherever they hide it.
4. Forward the port used by MC (found under Tools > Options > Media Network > Advanced > TCP Port) from the Internet to the internal static IP address you defined in step 1 for your MC-running computer. I believe it is port 52199 by default, but check the setting in your copy of MC to be sure. If it gives you the choice, you only need to forward TCP traffic and not UDP.
5. If you have a software firewall enabled on your home PC, you may also need to set it to allow inbound connections on the same port.
6. Set up JRemote to connect to MC using the Access Key set up in MC under Tools > Options > Media Network.

That should do it.  Advanced network setup is a bit outside of the scope of this forum. Here's a how to guide that goes into more detail:
http://www.howtogeek.com/66214/how-to-forward-ports-on-your-router/
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Nimogel

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 06:30:03 pm »

Webgizmo is up and running and working well. Doubt i will need 30 days to decide to purchase MC rights and the remote app. Many thanks!
-Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up