INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote not working after upgrading to Windows 10 [Solved -- antivirus problem]  (Read 7055 times)

jdeaton0622

• Recent member

I absolutely love this app on my iPhone and iPad.  It worked perfectly until yesterday when I upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10.  Media Center continues to work fine.

When I attempt to connect I get:
WOL sent to MAC-address 'xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-x6,00-1d-92-xx-xx-xx'
Connecting to saved addresses
Connecting to IP: 192.xxx.xxx.xx Port: 52199
Timed out
Connecting to IP: 97.xxx.xxx.xxx Port: 52199
Could not connect (Error: ConnectFailure (Connection refused)
Connecting to IP: 97.xxx.56.xxx Port: 52199
Fetching updated addresses from jriver.com using access key 'xxxxx'
Response received 2 addresses found (192.168.0.xx - xx.xxx.xx.xxx)
No new IP-addresses found. Updated addresses identical to current.

Have been scouring the boards and have tried:
•   Downloading and inputting a new Access Key
•   Rebooting my entire network and computer
•   Numerous attempts

I sure hope I can get this issue resolved.  I would gladly purchase another copy of JRemote if it would fix my problem.
Any help will be greatly appreciated

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRemote not working after upgrading to Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 08:52:28 pm »

When you captured that log, were you on your local network with the iOS device, or outside of it?

The Timeout error when connecting to your LAN IP indicates that your computer probably has a Firewall that is silently dropping the connection sent by JRemote. The Firewall settings probably weren't preserved through the upgrade. You can test this by disabling the Windows firewall, or whatever third party software suite you have installed. Windows Firewall instructions haven't changed for Windows 10, I believe:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/open-port-windows-firewall#1TC=windows-7

Here's a YouTube tutorial specifically for Windows 10:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AcqibSJ8ng

You need to allow inbound TCP traffic on port 52199.

If you are using a third-party suite, often disabling them isn't enough, and the best test is to uninstall it (temporarily) to see if the issue goes away. If so, then you know the cause and can look at how you create exceptions in it.

If you are outside of your local network with the iOS device (on cellular or away from home), then it looks like your home router is refusing the connection (which is odd, it should probably also silently drop, but whatever).

Read my post here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=99089.msg685925#msg685925

The other possibility if you are trying to connect from outside the LAN and you are positive you have port forwarding set up correctly on your router is to make sure you have the proper Username and Password entered into JRemote.  The connection refused could be an incorrect password (I don't know for sure how MC responds in this case).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 08:57:20 pm »

PS. Purchasing a new copy of JRemote won't help. The issue is on your network side.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jdeaton0622

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 09:30:32 pm »

PS. Purchasing a new copy of JRemote won't help. The issue is on your network side.

Thanks a bunch!  I really appreciate having some direction.
I'll work on it tomorrow and report back.

jdeaton0622

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 06:27:12 pm »

Work prevented me from spending much time with my JRemote connection issue with Windows 10.

BTW this is a LAN only situation.

I watched the Windows 10 Firewall Video, thanks for the link.

I went briefly to “Control Panel” > Windows Firewall and saw the line below.
“These settings are being managed by vendor application McAfee Personal Firewall".

With McAfee in the mix only the “Advanced settings “option was available.  (Clicking on “Allow an app or feature” for example did nothing.)

From the YouTube Tutorial I did create a “New Inbound Rule” to allow inbound traffic specifically for TCP port 52199.  I named it JRemote.

My new inbound rule showed up in the inbound rules list.

I thought I might have a Bingo, but after attempting to connect I incurred the same exact “Timed Out Connection Failure/ Connection Refused” message I listed above.

So, tomorrow, I will uninstall McAfee and try again.

I’ll keep checking the boards to see if this is a unique problem for me and Windows 10 or if it may be a more common issue.

Really appreciate the help!

Moseng

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 02:34:42 am »

Thanks a bunch!  I really appreciate having some direction.
I'll work on it tomorrow and report back.

Have you worked on it so far? If yes then why you did not updated it.

jdeaton0622

• Recent member
Re: JRemote not working after upgrading to Windows 10 (Solved)
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 05:33:34 am »

Success!!!

Uninstalling McAfee worked. 
My new “Inbound Rule” created in the McAfee controlled firewall set to allow TCP Port 52199 was still in the Windows Firewall list.
Don’t know if I would have needed the new rule or not.

Now my question is do I really need McAfee?

If the choice is the safety of McAfee or the joy of using JRemote I’ll live with the risk.

I can’t thank you enough!

Media Center combined with JRemote is an absolute brilliant way for me to enjoy my growing library of high resolution HDTracks downloads.

I think I’m going to like Windows 10 BTW.

Mus1c-l0v3r

I had the same problem and the mcafee engineer seems to sort it quite easily.

Uses your mouse and right click the "mcafee" icon. Then hover the mouse over changing setting. This will open another small menu with other options. Select "firewall"

A new window will open with many options. Look for "My Network Connections". Look for your router. Select it and hit edit. Scroll down until you see "Network Type:". To the right of this you will see an options box. Select "Home" and then "Save".

Test the JRemote app to see if it works. If you're as lucky as me it worked right away.

If you are still having issues then make sure you have created a port opening within the router and mcafee.

Regards, Music-Lover
Pages: [1]   Go Up