INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CalMAN, madVR, 3D LUT, and JRiver...  (Read 7399 times)

bluescale

• Recent member
CalMAN, madVR, 3D LUT, and JRiver...
« on: August 05, 2015, 12:58:58 am »

Last weekend I formatted my HTPC and reinstalled all my software on it, including JRiver and CalMAN.  I was poking around in CalMAN, and realized that the 3D LUT workflow now has built in options for madVR.  After a little digging in the SpectraCal forums, I found this document which makes creating a 3D LUT stupidly easy using CalMAN and madVR's Test Pattern Generator. 

http://www.spectracal.com/Documents/QSGs/madVR%203D%20LUT%20Calibration%20QuickStart.pdf

I did a quick test using the Lightening LUT option, just to walk through the process, and the results were pretty good.  I did need to download the standalone version of madVR to get the madtpg.exe file.  But after that, everything worked flawlessly as described in the article, and the 3D LUT was automatically applied within JRiver.  I plan to do a longer calibration this weekend, along with some critical viewing to make sure there are no problems.

I apologize if this has already been covered in another thread.  I did a quick search, and didn't find anything relevant.  I'd previously seen this older post describing how to use dispcalGUI, Argyll CMS, and the TI3 Parser Toolset to create a 3D LUT for madVR:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=78302.0

Last year, when I tried the process outline in the post I had unsatisfactory results.  As 6233638 cautioned in that thread, despite fairly good measurements, things looked horrible when watching content.  I haven't yet had the chance to properly evaluate the results of CalMAN and madVR, but my 5 minute calibration followed by 10 minutes of watching showed no obvious flaws.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: CalMAN, madVR, 3D LUT, and JRiver...
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 12:55:49 pm »

I own CalMan Professional and their workflow for creating a 3D LUT for madVR is really nice. The recent betas fix problems with not being able to do a 3D LUT with PC levels.

The reason you need the standalone version of madVR is because CalMan requires madVR 0.88.20 or newer and JRiver hasn't upgraded yet to the latest version. You can take the latest version of madVR and place in C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 21\Plugins\madvr and then run madTPG.exe from this location. I always add the location to C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 21 to my shortcuts so I can access it easily.

I am able to get near perfect color tracking, gamma, and grayscale with a 3D LUT and my Mitsubishi HC4000 projector.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 01:07:42 pm »

FWIW the dispcalgui workflow is now really slick as well, v3 of dispcalgui reduces it down to a few simple clicks and you're done. I think http://sourceforge.net/p/dispcalgui/wiki/3D%20LUT%20creation%20workflow%20for%20madVR%20or%20eeColor/ covers it

bhampster

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 12:50:46 pm »

Yes... I'm using DisplayCAL GUI and it requires the latest version of MadVR at all times...

I didn't have a lot of confidence in it till maybe the third time I worked through it but now the results are good.

The report is good and the movies look amazing and I have more confidence in my calibration than ever before.

Pages: [1]   Go Up