INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Media Center 21.0.90 for Debian (Wheezy) ARM  (Read 39415 times)

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver Media Center on BeagleBone running Debian Jessie
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2016, 04:56:48 pm »

Well........perhaps I was a bit too optimistic.  If I am a glutton for punishment (and you appear to be more correct about that than I was willing to consider), my current device seems more than up to the task.  Last night, I put a fresh Jessie image on a 64G card, booted the 'bone right up, expanded the file system on the card to its full size, and installed JRMC21.  The MC window still opens as a white patch, although it does have the blue strip across the top now.  So I went into /etc/X11/xorg.conf and changed the default depth from 16 to 24 in the "screen" section, resulting in brick city once again.  A web search reveals many such posts, so it's not just me or my device.  It appears that changing that value really messes something up.

Yet another fresh image on a fully reformatted card brought everything back to life with a white MC window once again. I haven't yet left it open and looked on my main MC PC or JRemote to see if the 'bone's instance is working.  If it is, I'm fine running headless and will leave it alone. That's tonight's entertainment.   ;)
There has to be somewhere other than the X11 conf file where you set the depth. The hardware has to boot with 24 bit support or the conf file won't be able to make it work.
That's the point of the parameters in the Rpi's boot.txt file.

newbluesman

• Recent member
Even though the MC window is whited out, it works!
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2016, 09:23:11 am »

As expected, it shows up as a zone in MC on my primary PC, and it's controllable both from there are from JRemote. So I'm not even going to bother trying to find the configuration file that will allow me to change the default bit depth for the display to 24.  If anyone lets me know what it is and where it is, I'll go in and give it a shot - but I run the 'bone headless anyway, so this isn't a problem. In fact, it may have been happening all along - the HDMI output didn't work when I first got it, so I never put it on a display. There were apparently a lot of early problems with the video drivers that have been fixed in recent software updates.

Thanks for the input!!

David

newbluesman

• Recent member
New insight into the 16 vs 24 bit display problem
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2016, 02:37:23 pm »

From Robert Nelson on the Beaglebone Black forum and one of the most experienced authorities on the 'bone in the universe:  "This is a hardware limitation of the beaglebone black in it's default state... The HDMI framer chip used is only wired to the am335x in 16bit mode" - 'nuf said!  That's why it won't boot when the X11 conf file is changed to 24 from 16.

So I'll set MC on the Beaglebone Black with TightVNC and run it headless (which I did without difficulty last year). We live and learn.  :D

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: JRiver Media Center 21.0.85 for Debian (Wheezy) ARM
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2016, 02:12:02 pm »

Bob, is there an .88 build coming for arm?  I only ask because my pi's are still back at .83 due to the library server bug in .85.

bob

• Administrator
Re: JRiver Media Center 21.0.85 for Debian (Wheezy) ARM
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2016, 09:36:34 am »

Bob, is there an .88 build coming for arm?  I only ask because my pi's are still back at .83 due to the library server bug in .85.
Yes, it just takes longer to build and we found one more thing we want to change first. I'm thinking later today...

bob

• Administrator
Re: JRiver Media Center 21.0.89 for Debian (Wheezy) ARM
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2016, 12:01:03 pm »

Ready to DL.
See the comment in the top build about the calling of external programs...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up