INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sending JRiver Music to Sonos Devices  (Read 14368 times)

rockitdoc

• Junior Woodchuck
Sending JRiver Music to Sonos Devices
« on: August 12, 2015, 06:35:43 pm »

Is it possible to play music from JRiver through Sonos devices?  I have a CONNECT and a PLAY1 showing up as zones but can't figure out how to send my music to them at the same time as my 'main' player.  This would be very handy to be able to stream my hi def files everywhere.
Thanks in advance as usual.
S

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Sending JRiver Music to Sonos Devices
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 06:56:07 pm »

If you see them under Playing Now in your left side Navigation Pane, you should be all set.  Click on one of them and it should open a blank playing now, just for that device.  Add some files to it and press play.  It should play. 

If that works, you can do "link zones" to make the main player zone and one of your Sonos zones play the same thing.  Just right click on one of the Sonos zones, and go down near the bottom and select Link Zone.  It's pretty self explanatory from there.

Good luck.

Brian.

rockitdoc

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 07:28:02 pm »

If you see them under Playing Now in your left side Navigation Pane, you should be all set.  Click on one of them and it should open a blank playing now, just for that device.  Add some files to it and press play.  It should play. 

If that works, you can do "link zones" to make the main player zone and one of your Sonos zones play the same thing.  Just right click on one of the Sonos zones, and go down near the bottom and select Link Zone.  It's pretty self explanatory from there.

Good luck.

Brian.

Im on a Mac.  Do you know what the 'right click' equivalent is?

rockitdoc

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 07:45:37 pm »

Good luck.

Brian.

Under 'playing now' I have three zones under the linked category.  Only two show 'green'.  When I click on one of the 'gray' zones, it turns green, but then, one of the 'green' zones goes gray.  Can I only play two zones at a time?

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 08:22:56 pm »

I don't have tons of experience with zones, especially DLNA (network) zones, but I've played with it some.

To link more than one zone, just link each one individually.  First right click on your first Sonos device and link it to the main player.  Then click on the second Sonos device, and link it to the now joined player and Sonos1.

They should all end up grouped under a "link" container, and all playing.  You can unlink them if you want, but you'll need to individually press stop on each zone after you unlink them.  Otherwise, when linked, they should all play, pause, and stop together.

Good luck to you.

Brian.

rockitdoc

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 08:47:23 am »

I don't have tons of experience with zones, especially DLNA (network) zones, but I've played with it some.

To link more than one zone, just link each one individually.  First right click on your first Sonos device and link it to the main player.  Then click on the second Sonos device, and link it to the now joined player and Sonos1.

They should all end up grouped under a "link" container, and all playing.  You can unlink them if you want, but you'll need to individually press stop on each zone after you unlink them.  Otherwise, when linked, they should all play, pause, and stop together.

Good luck to you.

Brian.

Well, I got all the zones playing.  Hooray!  Thanks.

But.....

Now, the main 'Player' and the Sonos PLAY1 are not playing the same music as the Sonos CONNECT!

All zones are getting the music from the same files on the Mac Mini.  Weird.

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 09:05:22 am »

Right click on the Connect and go to Link.  You should see an option to link it to Player and Sonos1.  That should do it.

Brian.

rockitdoc

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 12:43:22 pm »

Right click on the Connect and go to Link.  You should see an option to link it to Player and Sonos1.  That should do it.

Brian.

Got it done.  All three locations now play the same music.  It took linking the CONNECT to the PLAY1 in Sonos.

Now, a different issue.  There is a lag between the music playing in the different zones.  My connections are as follows:

MacMini output to Peachtree Grand (hardwired music room in house).  Sonos CONNECT output to Integra 30.3 (hardwired music on deck/basement).  Sonos PLAY1 (wireless music in garage)

JRiver has Peachtree linked to CONNECT and PLAY1.  Weird thing (maybe) is that the music first shows up out of the wired speakers in the basement and deck from the Integra-Sonos, then the Peachtree wired to the MacMini.  The lag is about 2 seconds.

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 02:16:24 pm »

The timing issue is well known.  I have a little experience with it, but mostly just as an experiment; I haven't lived with it day to day.  You can adjust the timing between linked zones.  Right click on one of your Sonos Zones and select "Adjust Link Timing".  Move the slider left or right to adjust.  The text above the slider will tell you which direction is which for sound before or sound after.

Hopefully you can get it really close with this adjustment.  Adjust one zone at a time and you should be able to get very close.  Let us know how you do!

Brian.

rockitdoc

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 08:17:05 am »

The timing issue is well known.  I have a little experience with it, but mostly just as an experiment; I haven't lived with it day to day.  You can adjust the timing between linked zones.  Right click on one of your Sonos Zones and select "Adjust Link Timing".  Move the slider left or right to adjust.  The text above the slider will tell you which direction is which for sound before or sound after.

Hopefully you can get it really close with this adjustment.  Adjust one zone at a time and you should be able to get very close.  Let us know how you do!

Brian.

That worked!  Thanks a lot.  It took a -3 adjustment and got very close.  Hi def music and large playlists at last!   ;D

rockitdoc

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 11:57:16 am »

That worked!  Thanks a lot.  It took a -3 adjustment and got very close.  Hi def music and large playlists at last!   ;D

Well, I got the zones pretty well configured last night.  Today, they are all screwed up again.  No sync for any zones.  I hope the zone timing process doesn't have to be done each time the system is switched on!   ?

blgentry

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 03:53:54 pm »

Like I said, I don't have a lot of experience with this, but I'm pretty sure the adjustments stay in place.  But something you said makes me wonder:

It took a -3 adjustment and got very close.

There are two different adjustments on Adjust Link Timing.  There's a slider near the middle with a numeric box on the left.  That's the pure time delay difference.  If you have just an offset (one plays before the other) then this is what you want to use.  It's the adjustment I've used myself.  The number is in milliseconds of delay.

Below that, there's a check box for "enable playback rate control" and a numeric box you can type in.  *This* area adjusts how fast playback happens.  It speeds up or slows down the music based on a percentage you type in.  I'm guessing this is where you made your adjustment because "-3" as as percentage of speed would be noticeable, but -3 in milliseconds would be nearly impossible for a human to detect.

Try adjusting the slider instead, which will give you a fixed offset (delay).  I hope that will get your sources synced up.

Brian.

rockitdoc

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2015, 05:58:16 pm »

Like I said, I don't have a lot of experience with this, but I'm pretty sure the adjustments stay in place.  But something you said makes me wonder:

There are two different adjustments on Adjust Link Timing.  There's a slider near the middle with a numeric box on the left.  That's the pure time delay difference.  If you have just an offset (one plays before the other) then this is what you want to use.  It's the adjustment I've used myself.  The number is in milliseconds of delay.

Below that, there's a check box for "enable playback rate control" and a numeric box you can type in.  *This* area adjusts how fast playback happens.  It speeds up or slows down the music based on a percentage you type in.  I'm guessing this is where you made your adjustment because "-3" as as percentage of speed would be noticeable, but -3 in milliseconds would be nearly impossible for a human to detect.

Try adjusting the slider instead, which will give you a fixed offset (delay).  I hope that will get your sources synced up.

Brian.
I just typed in the number '-3' instead of using the slider since the finest adjustment on slider is 20 and that wasn't fine enough.  Sync doesn't stay sync'd.  This is irritating.  Almost not worth using the zones.

blgentry

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2015, 06:58:55 pm »

I've had sort of odd behavior trying to sync zones too, but I've only played with it as a test.  I only have one network device and a couple of local ones. So it's just for fun for me.

I'm sorry hear you haven't gotten it working to your satisfaction.  It's no fun when me absolute favorite media player isn't able to do everything perfectly.  No sarcasm here; I'm serious.  :)

You might get more help on this subject in the Media Network forum here instead of the Mac forum.  Very few people read the mac forum compared to the others.  Here's the Media Network Forum:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=7.0

I almost always say good luck to close out my forum posts.  In this case, I mean it even more than usual.  Good luck!

Brian.

jmrdc

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 11:29:54 pm »

Sorry if a solution has been posted, but I have had success listening to my MC on a Mac with no lag or timing issues with a simple fix. Mind the fact it isn't hi-rez, but the Sonos doesn't play HR anyway.  Solved it by hooking up the Connect to analog inputs on my integrated amp, selecting the Connect as the source on MC...it should play fine (not high rez), but, honestly, none of our friends are audiophiles so who cares.  As long as it plays my MC playlists, it's all good. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up