INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: File structure when transfering tracks to portable  (Read 4634 times)

kosmicken

• Junior Woodchuck
File structure when transfering tracks to portable
« on: August 13, 2015, 07:14:55 pm »

On my PC and any portable device, I want the file structure to be [main music folder or device root directory]\Artist Name\Album Title\Track Title.extension.  I've got the settings in MC17 set up to rip CDs to my hard drive this way and for transferring tracks to a portable this way.  However, if in the library, the Album Artist field is blank, then tracks are written to the portable device in [root directory\Album Title\Track Title.extension. (The artist name is skipped altogether.)  It doesn't matter if the Artist field is populated (it always is); Album Artist must be populated for my preferred file structure to remain intact. Why is this?  And is there a way to get MC17 to auto-populate the Album Artist field when ripping CDs? Basically now I am having to fill it in manually for every album, and that's annoying.  And of course if I forget one, it won't transfer properly when transferring files to my flash drive.

kosmicken

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: File structure when transfering tracks to portable
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 07:21:47 pm »

Well, I THOUGHT it was configured properly, but another check through the settings revealed it was not.  I changed the file path for the portable device from [Album Artist]\[Album]\ to [Artist]\[Album]\ and sure enough it now works properly.  Yep.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 09:22:49 am »

Well, I THOUGHT it was configured properly, but another check through the settings revealed it was not.  I changed the file path for the portable device from [Album Artist]\[Album]\ to [Artist]\[Album]\ and sure enough it now works properly.  Yep.

[Album Artist (auto)] might be what you are looking for. It will create folders by Artist unless it is a compilation album, thereby which it will use the [Album Artist] tag. This is helpful in keeping compilation albums together.

kosmicken

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 12:24:57 pm »

The problem is the [Album Artist (auto)] field is blank for most albums in my library.  What is the purpose of this field (how does it differ from [Album Artist]?) and how is it normally populated?
Pages: [1]   Go Up