INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote and IOS9  (Read 30048 times)

bennyd

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Project Leader
JRemote and IOS9
« on: August 14, 2015, 01:23:08 am »

I've installed beta3 of IOS9 on my iPad Air 2 and when starting up JRemote, it immediately shuts down again, only the logo appears for a few seconds.

Is this a known issue or do I have to wait for the official IOS9 launch ?
may U live 2 see the dawn

bennyd :-)

bennyd

• Project Leader
Re: JRemote and IOS9
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 01:09:20 am »

Nobody using IOS9 yet ?

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 01:10:53 am »

bump

Pale Rider

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 04:15:05 pm »

For me, it's not just iOS9. I am running iOS 8.4.1 [12H321] on my iPhone 6, and JRemote 3.10. All worked well until yesterday [20150825] evening. I played hours of music through JRemote, and then last night, it just stopped. It briefly starts up, shows a "Connecting" screen and then quits. I even wiped it off and the phone and started with a fresh install. Same problem. Interestingly, the identical configuration on my iPad mini continues to work fine.
Mac mini | PS Audio PWD MKII | BDP-105 |Decware Ultra Preamp | Decware Torii MK3 Amps | Decware ERR sextet | Taboo & Liquid Fire Headphone Amps |Audez\'e LCD-2 & JH13 Pro

dpippel

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 01:12:06 pm »

I'm experiencing the exact same behavior on my iPhone 6 running the iOS 9 public beta, latest update. When started, JRemote briefly flashes the logo screen then shuts down. I've removed JRemote and done a clean reinstall but it does the same thing every single time.

Is anyone at JRiver aware of this? Will there be a fix forthcoming? I sure do miss accessing my FLAC library on my phone from work!!

Arindelle

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 01:59:27 pm »

euh my phone runs IOS 7 ... won't let me up grade to IOS8 so don't know what to say :'(

latest version of 8 works fine on my ipad 4 though for info .... not that that helps you guys any, but thanks for the tip. I will not change to the next OS any time soon.

dpippel

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 01:01:12 pm »

JRiver folks? Any input on if or when this problem might be corrected? Please?

Tim-Ann

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 09:51:29 am »

JRemote now working for me on iPhone and iPad Air both using iOS 9 Beta and MC 21.0.8 not sure what has changed.

Tim.

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 10:04:16 am »

JRemote now working for me on iPhone and iPad Air both using iOS 9 Beta and MC 21.0.8 not sure what has changed.

Tim.

Where do you see version 21.0.8 ?

For Windows I can only see 20.0.5 and for Mac 21.0.6

robertus3

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 10:28:15 am »

Hi,

Am also using iOS 9 public beta 3 on iPhone 5s and iPad air and M21.0.8 on a Mac Mini.

JRemote doesn't work on both idevices. It's my number one app, so I'm hoping this will be corrected as soon as possible.

Keep up the good work guys.

Gr, Robert.

robertus3

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 12:46:49 pm »

Hi again,

Just updated my iPhone to iOS 9 Beta Golden Master, and the remote app still crashes after a few seconds. Just to let you know.

Gr, Robert.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2015, 10:34:05 pm »

I confirmed this issue, and I think I tracked down the cause and reported it to JRiver.  They should be able to fix it fairly easily. Thanks for the updates.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Tim-Ann

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2015, 05:38:18 am »

Hi there,

Sorry I'm using it with my Mac gear and now we have iOS 9.1 brilliant iPhone still working but iPad Air not lets hope we have a fix by Sept 16th iOS 9.1 release date.

But at least I have one device working.

Tim.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2015, 07:22:27 am »

iOS 9.1 is not due out until November when the iPad Pro ships. The very first beta only came out on Wednesday.

When running pre-release software you should expect issues. If you aren't prepared for this, do not run beta OS versions. In many cases, the developers can do nothing to help you:
https://www.macstories.net/stories/on-negative-app-store-reviews-during-betas-of-ios-and-os-x/

dpippel

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2015, 12:24:03 pm »

Yep, iOS 9.0 however will be released next Wednesday the 16th. Thanks for hopefully finding the cause of this problem and reporting it to JRiver. I hope a fix will be released soon.

Arindelle

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2015, 12:37:33 pm »

Yep, iOS 9.0 however will be released next Wednesday the 16th. Thanks for hopefully finding the cause of this problem and reporting it to JRiver. I hope a fix will be released soon.
yes that's a confirm. They, Apple, announced it yesterday. Doesn't look like a beta to me.

This might help if you want to roll back to 8 .. didn't think it was possible http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/mobile-phone/how-downgrade-from-ios-9-ios-8-3618122/ Some people here mentioned bugs with the 8.4+ versions btw. 8.3 runs fine for me. This is for phones, but looks like it should work for ipads too.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2015, 03:58:31 pm »

Right. iOS 9 GM is out now, and will release to the public on Wednesday.

iOS 9.1 beta 1 was released on the same day to the Dev channel, and is not due till November (with the iPad Pro release).

I was commenting regarding the user above who mentioned iOS 9.1.

robertus3

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2015, 11:16:14 am »

One last piece of extra info regarding iOS 9 GM: jremote is working on my (wife's) iPhone 4S. So the old ones aren't the bad ones! Good for her.

Tim-Ann

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2015, 03:10:36 pm »

Hi, glynor, well I am running iOS 9.1 on my iPhone which oddly is working JRemote on my Mac Mini running Yosemite and MC 21.0.8, but my iPad Air running 9.1 does not want to work.

Tim.

sdmarquart

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2015, 01:06:07 pm »

So, since IOS9 comes out tomorrow, should I wait to download until we have confirmation that JRemote works on it?

I use JRemote more than any other app so I'll definitely wait - but would like to know asap once it's working!!

Thanks,
Spencer

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2015, 01:31:07 pm »

So, since IOS9 comes out tomorrow, should I wait to download until we have confirmation that JRemote works on it?
Yes.

dpippel

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2015, 12:34:51 pm »

Jim, could you possibly give us some idea of when the JRemote fix might be released? Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2015, 12:50:42 pm »

Probably by the end of the week, but these things sometimes don't go as expected.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2015, 01:30:31 pm »

but these things sometimes don't go as expected.

Especially when it comes to getting approval through the App Store.

scubarob

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2015, 01:57:16 pm »

Was there any effort put into resolving the issues prior to the official release of IOS 9 ?
Seems there were several users of the app identifying problems, but little from the JRiver developers.
I too use this app, every day and am very disappointed with the lack of ongoing support.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2015, 02:04:32 pm »

Was there any effort put into resolving the issues prior to the official release of IOS 9 ?
Seems there were several users of the app identifying problems, but little from the JRiver developers.
I too use this app, every day and am very disappointed with the lack of ongoing support.
We don't blog about everything we do.  We're aware of the problem and we believe we have a fix, but it takes time to do these things.

ccahoon

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2015, 02:23:30 pm »

This only appears to be an issue on newer iOS devices....as I have installed iOS9 on an iPad 2 and a iPhone 5 and have no problems with JRemote.  But on my iPhone 6, I am having the same issue as everyone else....it immediately shuts down.

sdmarquart

• World Citizen
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2015, 02:41:12 pm »

We don't blog about everything we do.  We're aware of the problem and we believe we have a fix, but it takes time to do these things.

The beta for iOS 9 has been out for months now. As paying customers of MC & JRemote I would expect this to be resolved by the actual IOS release date. What are you guys doing over there? A lot of us use this app throughout EVERY day yet still want to be able to use it when IOS updates. So, I have a software update waiting on JRemote to update before I can download it.

Pretty poor service for such a generally terrific product.

Hope y'all learn something from this!

Spence

ccahoon

• Recent member
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2015, 02:46:52 pm »

Calm down.

sdmarquart

• World Citizen
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2015, 02:52:34 pm »

Calm down.

That is calm. I think paying customers should be able to voice their concerns. Answers like "we think we found the issue" things like App Store approval taking forever are kinda lame. This app rules, but when I am getting updates today for weather apps and stuff and not the one app that I actually use kinda throws salt on the wound.

This isn't iTunes we're talking about. I just expected better..

fritsveer

• Recent member
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2015, 03:19:31 pm »

FYI: JRemote not starting up in IOS9

Just installed iOS9 on my ipad air (no beta, the real deal).
JRemote crashed upan start-up.
Re-installed JRemote and restarted iPad, still no luck.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2015, 03:22:09 pm »

Apple broke it.  Often during the dev cycle, they break and then fix something, so we don't work on a fix until the new OS is available.  We think it's fixed now, but it will take a few days.

fritsveer

• Recent member
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2015, 03:27:50 pm »

Hi JimH

Thanks for the heads up.
will be patient.

Claude Lapalme

• World Citizen
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2015, 03:42:43 pm »

Is it broken for both iPhone and iPad? There was info about that it worked with iPhone

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2015, 03:43:14 pm »

That is calm.

Dude. The upgrade to iOS came out like 4.5 hours ago.

If you upgrade on day one, or especially if you run the betas, expect trouble. Period.  Until last week, developers were not allowed to submit apps targeting iOS 9.

It is also crazy to waste a bunch of time doing development on beta software that might change and make all of your work irrelevant on the day of release.  Sure, some folks do it, but plenty don't because they don't have the spare resources.

I can see being frustrated a month or so from now, but 4 hours after launch is a bit rich for all the hyperbole.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2015, 03:44:26 pm »

Is it broken for both iPhone and iPad? There was info about that it worked with iPhone

It works for some 32-bit only devices, which includes iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 and similar vintage iPads.  Though, while those devices don't crash-on-launch, there could be other bugs.

Claude Lapalme

• World Citizen
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2015, 03:45:03 pm »

Thanks

sdmarquart

• World Citizen
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2015, 03:51:53 pm »

Dude. The upgrade to iOS came out like 4.5 hours ago.

If you upgrade on day one, or especially if you run the betas, expect trouble. Period.  Until last week, developers were not allowed to submit apps targeting iOS 9.

It is also crazy to waste a bunch of time doing development on beta software that might change and make all of your work irrelevant on the day of release.  Sure, some folks do it, but plenty don't because they don't have the spare resources.

I can see being frustrated a month or so from now, but 4 hours after launch is a bit rich for all the hyperbole.

I guess that was a little harsh. I'm certainly not a developer and have no idea how much work goes into it..

It sounds like there may be a fix later this week which would be fine by me. I've never bad-mouthed JRiver before and was just showing my displeasure here.

Sorry to be so rash about it all. If nothing else it shows my undying love and addiction to this app. 😜

scubarob

• Recent member
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2015, 03:55:17 pm »

I'm not entirely convinced there has been full disclosure here on the effort put forth to ensure compatibility. I suspect there is much not being told.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2015, 03:59:48 pm »

I'm not entirely convinced there has been full disclosure here on the effort put forth to ensure compatibility. I suspect there is much not being told.

What? There's a vast conspiracy or something?

That's nonsense. Some underlying 64-bit code broke. Jim said that they do not work on updates targeting beta OS versions and wait for the GM or final version before making changes. This always been JRiver's policy, and the same applies to all Windows and OSX beta OS releases as well. This is reasonable for a small shop and a policy built on experience (I know, personally, a whole bunch of iOS developers who have wasted months of development time burned down that exact hole).

They think they have it fixed. There is a built-in lag for Apple to approve it. What part of this do you not understand?

scubarob

• Recent member
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2015, 04:14:29 pm »

I understand that that the last time this app received any type of update was Nov 24, 2014. Looking at the calendar this was quite some time ago. Don't get me wrong here. I love the app. Hence the concern and feedback.Users are either currently without the use of their beloved JRemote, or are patiently waiting for the updated app before updating their IOS devices. What kind of chaos would have occurred if Windows 10 broke the ability to use JRiver ?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2015, 04:20:51 pm »

I understand that that the last time this app received any type of update was Nov 24, 2014.

I agree it has been a while. Hendrik explained a long while ago that they were focusing for some time on developing JRemote for Android and would return to iOS after that calmed down when they could move them along in lock-step.

What kind of chaos would have occurred if Windows 10 broke the ability to use JRiver ?

They treated the Windows 10 release basically the same way.

And, since you brought it up, Windows 10 is a perfect example of why doing something else is a recipe for disaster. Five days before the Windows 10 GM release, there were two builds of Windows 10 where MC was completely broken. The day of the GM, it was fixed, by Microsoft.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2015, 04:50:16 pm »

I understand that that the last time this app received any type of update was Nov 24, 2014. Looking at the calendar this was quite some time ago. Don't get me wrong here. I love the app. Hence the concern and feedback.Users are either currently without the use of their beloved JRemote, or are patiently waiting for the updated app before updating their IOS devices. What kind of chaos would have occurred if Windows 10 broke the ability to use JRiver ?
Don't you have piano practice or something?

scubarob

• Recent member
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2015, 05:11:40 pm »

Ballet

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2015, 05:29:54 pm »

;)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2015, 05:50:01 pm »

I guess that was a little harsh. I'm certainly not a developer and have no idea how much work goes into it..

No problem. I know how it is to be excited. I've been running the iOS 9 betas on my main phone for about a month now, and living without JRemote has been... Less than awesome.

While you wait, read this:
http://www.stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks
Websites that are glorified shopping carts with maybe three dynamic pages are maintained by teams of people around the clock, because the truth is everything is breaking all the time, everywhere, for everyone.

blgentry

« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2015, 08:32:01 pm »

http://www.stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks

I've never done programming as a primary job function, but I've done programming as part of my job.  I'm assuming this guy is using more humor than reality, but he really seems WAY overly dramatic.  "So says the guy who doesn't program for a living."  :)

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2015, 08:42:56 pm »

This is good, really good:
Every programmer occasionally, when nobody's home, turns off the lights, pours a glass of scotch, puts on some light German electronica, and opens up a file on their computer. It's a different file for every programmer. Sometimes they wrote it, sometimes they found it and knew they had to save it. They read over the lines, and weep at their beauty, then the tears turn bitter as they remember the rest of the files and the inevitable collapse of all that is good and true in the world.

This file is Good Code.

Sky King

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2015, 06:35:00 am »

JRemote is not working on my iPad Air with iOS9 installed yesterday.  I will use Lumin or Kinsky until there is a fix.

sorepinky

« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2015, 06:46:20 am »

I don't install betas of anything, but my iPad mini 2 just did its own upgrade to iOS9 and JRemote is crashing immediately.  Looking forward to using it again big time.  JRemote is the ONLY reason that I purchased an Apple product in the first place and it's the only app that I ever use on the iPad.  Please hurry. ;) ;D :o
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up