INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver vs nch  (Read 3089 times)

busterbrown

• Recent member
JRiver vs nch
« on: August 18, 2015, 11:30:36 am »

Do you see any trouble on a Mac Yosemite combining jriver 20 with nch wav pad or their CD burner program?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: J river vs nch
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 11:45:14 am »

I've read your previous post about this.  I don't own any of the software you are talking about, so I can't directly answer the question.

If you suspect a System Volume conflict, like one program "stealing" system volume from the other or something, you can switch JRiver MC to use it's own Internal Volume, which is independent of System Volume.

Tools > Options > Audio > Volume > Volume Mode

Otherwise, maybe if you describe the problem you've seen and how to reproduce it, we might be able to give you more advice.

Good luck.

Brian.

busterbrown

• Recent member
Re: JRiver vs nch
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 12:35:51 pm »

I loaded jriver first. Later I added nch wave pad and their burner. I noticed that I had to stop the song I was playing on jriver, not just pause it, before I could play a song in wav pad (which I use to balance my volumes to my balance song which is playing on jriver). After the trial period I purchased av pad. The next day Yosemite crashed and I had to load a fresh copy and reload jriver for Mac. I'm using nch switch for changing file extensions without any trouble, but it doesn't have volume controls. It just changes from slant wav and 16 bit to 24 bit.  

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 03:16:49 pm »

I loaded jriver first. Later I added nch wave pad and their burner. I noticed that I had to stop the song I was playing on jriver, not just pause it, before I could play a song in wav pad (which I use to balance my volumes to my balance song which is playing on jriver).

That sounds like JRiver is using Exclusive Access mode for the audio device.  This "locks" the audio device when JRiver is using it, so no other program can use it for playback.  See the option at:

Tools > Options > Audio > Device Settings > Device > Open device with exclusive access

Turning that option off will allow all programs to see the audio device at the same time.

After the trial period I purchased av pad. The next day Yosemite crashed and I had to load a fresh copy and reload jriver for Mac.

Ok, so you had a serious computer problem that required you to completely reinstall the Operating System (OS X) ?  If so, that's VERY abnormal for Macs.  It is usually indicative of a hardware problem.  Have you replaced any hardware?  Hard drive, motherboard, etc.  I would be very suspicious and would dig into the logs to see if they indicate anything abnormal.

Brian.

busterbrown

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 01:24:33 pm »

I'M NEW TO APPLE COMPUTERS. HOW DO I DIG INTO THE LOGS TO LOOK FOR ERRORS. I'VE HAD TO RELOAD 4 TIMES NOW. I KEPT THINKING IT WAS J RIVER CONFLICTING WITH NCH SOFTWARE, BUT MAYBE IT'S A HARDWARE PROBLEM. LET ME KNOW THANKS  BRIAN

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 04:34:23 pm »

Hi Buster,

First a small point of etiquette:  Online, typing in ALL CAPS is considered the same as yelling.  I'm sure you didn't mean that.  Just letting you know.

I'm not sure how technical you are and diagnosing this stuff can be pretty technical sometimes.  You can try looking through the logs with the Console log viewer if you'd like.  It's in Applications > Utilities > Console.  It's kind of a "busy" interface with a lot of stuff to look at.  You may see something or you may not.

You say you've had to "reload 4 times".  Do you mean reinstall OS X ?  That's definitely not normal.  Is your machine new?  If so Apple support should be able to help you figure out what's going wrong here.  What has happened to require you to reload?

It's probably a good idea to run Apple Hardware Test:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201257

If your machine is newer than July 2013, you'll want to use the new Apple Hardware Diagnostics instead:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731

Good luck with your Mac.  :)

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up