INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: MilkDrop2 Visualization Install Pack  (Read 50694 times)

William-NM

• World Citizen
MilkDrop2 Visualization Install Pack
« on: August 18, 2015, 03:52:00 pm »

*** Some Newer Presets for MilkDrop2:
It appears that some our fellow MD2 enthusiasts are continuing to create new presets and tweak and morph others, so I scraped what I could see into a .rar file, cleverly named 'Newish-Milkdrop2-Presets.rar' and available for your downloading pleasure here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=16GupAFz3SghlXxS6ou_eSAI9-1nivplr

Some are pretty cool, here's a teaser:
OOH, big teaser.
It sounds like some dj's have managed to layer MD2 output with other video to do some cool stuff- find them on youtube. Sadly, they, like us, are hoping for a kindly programmer to update the code, to no avail.  :'(
Oh, I didn't mention that these were on the old winamp site, made by flexi and other smart people who can comprehend the MD2 preset code. I think we can say that even today, "[product name here] whips the Llama's A$$".  :D

[Newbies]
By the way, if you like, you can make a folder in the presets folder ie: Presets/New/ and dump these in there while you see which ones you like. To open them, with MD2 running, hit the "L" key. Then, use the numpad '8' key to navigate up to the new folder (or to go up a level, go to the very top;  "[ ..] Parent Directory". When you have the highlight where you want it, hit numpad '5'. Same to navigate to any directory, just get the highlight where you want it and hit numpad "5" on any preset to start playback.
Number ROW '1' for help.
You can also hit 'a' to do a random 'mashup' and see what you get.

Enjoy the non-productivity!

*** note: I made a small file on how to migrate MilkDrop2 when you upgrade Media center. This doesn't have all the presets and program files, just directions & .reg files needed to get MD2 working. (3rd link below) ***

While we wait for some smartie to put together a one-click installer for the MilkDrop2 Visualization Engine, I thought I'd pull together all the steps and files, as they were scattered far & wide. All credit to the original authors, especially Paul1970 for the original port and Doof, on whose write-up this readme is based.

I put the files up on GoogleDrive. I made the ReadMe a separate file, so you can download it first. The main file is about 160MB and includes the appx. 50K presets originally uploaded by Arcturus, as well as the main plug-in and the support files mentioned in the ReadMe. The additional presets are in a separate folder, so you can install some or all of them at a later date if desired.

Here is the ReadMe File:       https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_sgqMslW6DkY3BuRF9iYlJNbkE
Here is the main file:            https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_sgqMslW6DkWXdFYWlKOW5SUmM
Upgrading MC? Just get this: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_sgqMslW6DkY1I5aENCU0ZPT28

That's all I can think of at the moment-- I hope this helps someone and please post if you notice omissions or errors. I'll attach a screenshot of a few of the presets for kicks.

William-NM

wombat66

• World Citizen
Re: MilkDrop2 Visualization Install Pack
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 04:53:24 pm »

This is great! Thanks for doing this. The step by step instructions in the ReadMe file are much appreciated!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 01:12:29 am »

William-NM,
Thanks for taking the time to do that.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 11:43:42 am »

Thanks very much! I never installed Milkdrop2 on MC 20, but had it on MC 19, because it was too much hassle. I really appreciate this.

William-NM

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 01:00:38 pm »

Thanks, Guys!

sKiZo

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 04:39:23 pm »

To quote a wise man ...

Error compiling Ps_2_0 warp shader... Your  hardware sux!
  ;D

Went through all the steps in the readme (with good succcess messages along the way), and this is what I ended up with when trying to start Milkdrop2 in MC19 ...

Drat ... shut down MC, rebooted cold, same thing. I did verify that the regedit took (Looks good to me anyway):

... and I should be good on .NET 4 Runtime ...

Double drat!

Ideas? I'll run through it all again later, but wondering if someone else has seen the same? Running Windows 8 Pro on this machine. Also, doesn't matter if I run it in Admin or a user account.

PS ... I also changed permissions on the .INI files in the main Milkdrop2 directory, but that shouldn't be an issue until I start trying to save settings ... which might be a while ...

William-NM

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 05:44:56 pm »

Darn it!
I can verify that the registry entries look identical to mine.

What about DirectX? Did you DL the  "dxwebsetup.exe" file from the Microsoft link & run it?

When you look at the top MilkDrop2 directory (*"C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 21\Visualizations\Milkdrop2" (in my case), do you have 3 files (milk2.ini, milk2_adapters,txt, & vis_milk2.dll, plus another MilkDrop2 folder.

In the 2nd MilkDrop2 folder, there should just be 4 folders: data, docs, presets, & textures.

That's a new error message to me. Has anyone successfully installed the package on their machines? It would be good to hear that nothing is 'broken' in it.

I'll do some poking around on my end, and maybe you can give it one more run through?

Let's hope one of the brainiacs on the forums has a suggestion!!

sKiZo

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 06:26:39 pm »

Darn it!
I can verify that the registry entries look identical to mine.

That's sorta why I posted up that reg dump so you could look see. Worth a shot anyway.

What about DirectX? Did you DL the  "dxwebsetup.exe" file from the Microsoft link & run it?

Yup. Full install using your link. One point worth mentioning ... the progress bars are worth a shite on that installation. They both hit 100% about halfway through. Note to the wise ... be patient!

When you look at the top MilkDrop2 directory (*"C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 21\Visualizations\Milkdrop2" (in my case), do you have 3 files (milk2.ini, milk2_adapters,txt, & vis_milk2.dll, plus another MilkDrop2 folder.

Yup. Went through the directory structure completely and it matches what's in the README. Vis_milk2.dll was successfully registered, and both milk2.ini and milk2_adapters.txt have had their read/write privileges modified as per your suggestion. Once again, that shouldn't be an issue until I actually get it running and try to save preferences.

In the 2nd MilkDrop2 folder, there should just be 4 folders: data, docs, presets, & textures.

Yup. Yup. Yup. Yup.

That's a new error message to me. Has anyone successfully installed the package on their machines? It would be good to hear that nothing is 'broken' in it.

I'll do some poking around on my end, and maybe you can give it one more run through?

Let's hope one of the brainiacs on the forums has a suggestion!!

Keeping my fingers crossed here. I had Milkdrops installed on a prior player at one point and really loved it. You mentioned earlier looking for a way to trash presets you don't like - you can set Milkdrop to show the preset name (upper left corner I believe) and note the ones you don't like, then just delete those from the preset folder, or move them to another folder outside of where Milkdrop looks.

Plan is to give it another go (reset to a prior RESTORE point probably the best way as that should make it like a pre MD virgin) but hoping it's something easy, like "Oh, just click this and yer good ta go!!" ...

PS ... new error? Just don't name it after me!! <G>

EDIT > > Wondering if I need a newer version of .NET installed? Check yours and see wotcher got. Maybe I got that cornfused with something else and I don't even need that.

** SPEAKING OF great heaping steaming piles of drat ...

Just notice NONE of my visualizations were working! Got the same error message even with the built in vis selections, and ditto for Aeon, GForce, etc ...

- Tried RESTORING the system to the point created by the DFX installation - same thing. That happened after the Milkdrop was installed on the system, so it's not a DFX issue.

- Restored to the last point saved prior to trying this. Basically undid everything Milkdrop related and made it like it was. Everything's working again ... except of course Milkdrop ...

I'll give it another go maybe tomorrow, checking things out after each step, and at least try to figure out what's breaking the other visualizations.

- Huh ...

Elric

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 03:01:43 pm »

Thank you for this William-NM.

There are some extra steps for windows 10 users.

You need to right click individually on milk2.ini, viz_milk2.dll and then everything in the data dir, and select properties and check unblock and then ok/apply.

I learned this by trial and error.

If one doesn't do this MMC crashes fairly quickly every time milkdrop2 is used.

- Elric
PC > JRiver > Schiit Modi Multibit > Schiit Magni 3 > HIFIMAN HE-400i (also FIDUE A83, UE 900s, ATH M50x, or the new HIFIMAN Sundara)

PC > JRiver > Schiit Modi Multibit > Kenwood VR-507  Reciever > Pair of Polk Audio RT 10

PC > JRiver > FiiO X7 mk II > FiiO K5 > Kenwood VR-507  Reciever > Pair of Polk Audio RT 10

sKiZo

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 04:34:56 pm »

He steps up to the plate, taps the inside corner, then the outside corner, awaits the pitch ...

And yet another mighty whiff!!  

Restored to a point prior to the Milkdrop2 install (which fixed all the other visualizations as well) and tried again from scratch. This time, I also installed the C++ runtime library, as that's what was giving me error messages and breaking everything. No luck.

Restored to the same point, and retired my bat ... I suppose I could try uninstalling all the SoundSpectrum visualizations and see if it's a conflict with those, but those are tempermental enough on their own without tempting the fates.

Fun for a rainy day though. For a while ... then not so much.  :-\

PS ... I also caught the note in the install of trying the "hive" registry hack and tried that ... to no avail.

William-NM

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 10:15:06 pm »

Elric:
Thanks - I've added your tip to the Install ReadMe. Glad to hear that it's working for you!

sKiZo:
<sigh> I tried installing the zipped file on my system, just to make sure nothing got messed up, but all was well.  I checked my .net framework versions;  I have 2.0.50727.4927,  3.0,  3.5 &  v4 (as opposed to 4.0, which is deprecated. Gotta love that Microsoft.)

I was really hoping that a bit of tweaking would get you running, but it sounds like there may be a conflict with your other visualizer plugs. Maybe the long awaited mystery developer will materialize and work some magic...

_mulder

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2015, 10:52:09 pm »

Thanks William-NM and Elric,
 I've installed this on windows 10 and MC21 and everything works really nicely. It's great to see this in action again since the winamp days!

William-NM

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 11:37:02 pm »

Glad to hear that it's working for you!  It's too good a viz to let it fall by the wayside.

TheSacredSoul

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2015, 02:17:21 am »

Thank you  for the concise instructions! Easily installed!

William-NM

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2015, 08:51:39 pm »

Excellent.  8)

TheSacredSoul

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2015, 11:49:46 pm »

Excellent.  8)

Just a headsup. On the latest MC21 beta 21.0.7, MilkDrop causes MC to crash as soon as play is pressed. Attached the log files to this thread : https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=100224.0

Hope that helps!

theoctavist

• World Citizen
  • a bad liver and a broken heart.
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2015, 12:44:18 am »

works fine here

William-NM

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2015, 10:46:51 am »

Still working fine under MC 21.0.7 here, too. Sorry to hear that it's not playing nicely with your system. I'm on Win10, too.

sKiZo

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2015, 03:35:00 pm »

Just a headsup. On the latest MC21 beta 21.0.7, MilkDrop causes MC to crash as soon as play is pressed. Attached the log files to this thread : https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=100224.0

I also have problems, but with v19 (latest stable)

Took a peek at your log files and I see one similarity to my system. Wonder if it's a problem with AMD video drivers? Maybe worth checking out ... here's a link to their handy dandy utility that detects your current drivers and offers updates if available ...

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

Mine are a couple years old and came with the computer. Currently downloading the updated install and keeping my fingers crossed. And I WILL set a new restore point prior to giving it a click, and I DO have a current full backup ... not that I don't trust either MS or AMD ... no sir, not in the slightest! <G>

Oh. And I WILL try reinstalling Milkdrops afterwards, and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

PS ... come to find out, the AMD control center is apparently a .NET application. That keeps coming up in conversation here ...

UPDATE > > New drivers loaded, same error ... no joy here in mudville ...

AMD Catalyst also installs a version of MS C++ runtime ... I guess that's required for a .NET app ...

TheSacredSoul

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2015, 10:08:21 am »

I also have problems, but with v19 (latest stable)

Took a peek at your log files and I see one similarity to my system. Wonder if it's a problem with AMD video drivers? Maybe worth checking out ... here's a link to their handy dandy utility that detects your current drivers and offers updates if available ...

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

Mine are a couple years old and came with the computer. Currently downloading the updated install and keeping my fingers crossed. And I WILL set a new restore point prior to giving it a click, and I DO have a current full backup ... not that I don't trust either MS or AMD ... no sir, not in the slightest! <G>

Oh. And I WILL try reinstalling Milkdrops afterwards, and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

PS ... come to find out, the AMD control center is apparently a .NET application. That keeps coming up in conversation here ...

UPDATE > > New drivers loaded, same error ... no joy here in mudville ...

AMD Catalyst also installs a version of MS C++ runtime ... I guess that's required for a .NET app ...

Thanks for attempting to find out the issue. Thing is, MilkDrop was working fine on the same system up to 21.0.6. Only in 21.0.7 that it crashes. Oh well!

sKiZo

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2015, 10:54:04 am »

Be interesting to see if rolling back to '06 would make it work again, or if something else got installed that's getting in the way ...

I suppose that would all depend on whether the latest and greatest has any new features you can't live without. I personally haven't found any reason (yet) to upgrade from where I'm at, and I'm happy enough (for now) that I don't much care to play with MC versions ...

(Although I DO have MC18 loaded up on the XP side of my machine. I kept that for legacy support of my old version of SoundForge, but XP doesn't have the killer audio of WASAPI for my DAC ... major improvements in playback there ... )

Ah, well.

PS ... if it helps any, this time around I didn't do a Windows Restore ... just deleted the Milkdrop2 directory from MC's vis folder. Everything else is working again WITH the milkdrop registry entries AND still has the DLL registered as well, AND the new .NET and C++ support installed along with the ATI video upgrade.

** Also, is there another version of the Milkdrop vis that's known to work with MC that might be worth trying?  This install does a nice job of organizing the details, and maybe a simple swap of the DLL or other support modules might do the trick here?

EDIT > > Something else I might try. Milkdrop IS written for WinAmp ... I might just go ahead and install the latest version of that on my machine, making sure to uncheck any file associations that could screw with MC. The WinAmp install includes MD2, and I might end up with a registry entry or three that helps. Do the WinAmp install, then copy the working files into your directory structure, then re-register the DLL and see wot hoppens ... at least check and see if it installs a different DLL that might work. Plan would be to do minimal tweaks the the MC directory. I'd also probably want to check the WinAmp and MC registry sections to see if there's any differences.

Another thought ... I see WinAmp recommends using a WHQL (Windows Hardware Quality Labs) version of the ATI video drivers. Something else to check if the WinAmp install fails to get MD2 working.)

William-NM

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2015, 09:54:35 pm »

Hey, sKiZo
The only other versions of MilkDrop that I know of are the ones for IOS and Android, both named projectM. They're available in their respective app stores. I also see a 2014 MediaMonkey port at www.mediamonkey.com/addons/.../item/milkdrop-2-mediamonkey-port/, but I don't know anything about it. (I hope that's OK to mention...)

It also looks like someone is trying to get a repository going at milkdrop.tk .

The WinAmp idea is interesting, let us know how that turns out.
It's a real pain not knowing what dependencies the plug has - we just have to rely on you hardy souls trying various tweaks until something works.  :-\

re: AMD - could be, though my old HTPC was a HP laptop with AMD graphics and it ran fine. The current one is a cheapo HP laptop with IntelHD graphics.

Keep on chooglin' (as John Fogerty would say, heh)

baniels

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2016, 11:17:55 am »

Thanks a million for the info in this thread. It's great to have Milkdrop running again.

Strangely, however, I get a momentary stutter every 10-15 seconds. The display just freezes for half a second or so then resumes. I have tried decreasing the mesh size, and it makes no difference. I think my computer is powerful enough.

To be certain, I tried running Milkdrop 2 in Foobar2000 on the same machine. It runs smoothly even with the highest mesh size.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this?

sKiZo

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2016, 11:31:41 am »

May seem counter-intuitive, but try increasing your audio buffer size ...

I had some frame drops with the Sound Spectrum visualizations, and that fixed it ...

PS ... I've yet to get a good install on MilkDrops here ... Granted, I haven't tried in a while. I've finally got a decent internet connection (no more 5gig a month cap!) so I've been using theater mode a lot now that I've got the bandwidth to play with.

Still running MC19 (latest stable) as well. My setup is exclusively audio, and it's doing everything I want it to do.

William-NM

• World Citizen
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2016, 07:08:09 pm »

Hi, baniels - glad to hear that MilkDrop is working for you. Let us know if the buffer increase doesn't help. I'm not seeing any stuttering on my low-end HP HTPC laptop. If it's running smoothly in Foobar, I guess that rules out the graphics drivers, though I'd see if there are any updates available if the buffer increase doesn't do the trick.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2016, 01:21:13 am »

If it's running smoothly in Foobar, I guess that rules out the graphics drivers, though I'd see if there are any updates available if the buffer increase doesn't do the trick.
I would never assume that.

sKiZo

• World Citizen
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2016, 08:22:55 pm »

UPDATE ... success ... finally.

Ended up rolling back my AMD video drivers to 14.1 - just the drivers, after uninstalling that bloatware Catalyst thing. Reinstalled the DirectX (yet again) from the link provided in the installation notes of the zip, and tada! It works!

That was only like pulling teeth. <G>

beats_works

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2016, 06:04:03 pm »

I have everything working (with occasional lockup) but the milk2_adapters.txt file has incorrect video card information and when I try to configure in options under Windowed the drop down menu for video card selection is blank.  Anyone experience this? 

-I did change permissions on ini/txt files
-Renamed milk2_adapters.txt thinking it might redetect - but did not  (Oddly it runs without error so is this a legacy file which isn't even referenced?)
Warning: May contain trace amounts of sarcasm known to the State of California to cause irritation.

sKiZo

• World Citizen
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2016, 12:05:59 am »

Truth be told, I've never gotten any of the menus to work. I just fire it up and let it do it's thing.

So, how exactly does one access the configuration menus on Milkdrop from within JRiver?

beats_works

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2016, 12:33:24 am »

Truth be told, I've never gotten any of the menus to work. I just fire it up and let it do it's thing.

So, how exactly does one access the configuration menus on Milkdrop from within JRiver?
Click the window so that it has focus then keys 0-6. 0 brings up config menu. I think 1 was main menu.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Warning: May contain trace amounts of sarcasm known to the State of California to cause irritation.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2016, 06:35:45 am »

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
Please remove the Tapatalk ad.  It's under the settings for Signature in Tapatalk.

William-NM

• World Citizen
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2016, 11:09:42 am »

Click the window so that it has focus then keys 0-6. 0 brings up config menu. I think 1 was main menu.

Just a reminder that the number row and number keypad (numpad) have different functions in MilkDrop ; )

beats_works

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2016, 06:22:09 pm »

Tip:  If in doubt - cheat.  I installed Winamp (Milkdrop is included) and configured to my hearts content then copied necessary files out of C:\Users\YOUR_ACCOUNT\AppData\Roaming\Winamp\Plugins\Milkdrop2  to C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 22\Visualizations\Milkdrop2  :P

sKiZo

• World Citizen
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2016, 09:18:24 pm »

Come to find out, my problem is the mini keyboard on my HTPC. I have to hot key between the number pad and standard keys and that seems to be confusing MilkDrop.

Time for Plan ... er ... what am I at ... uh ... J! <G>

I've got a USB keyboard with the standard layout. Be giving that a try soon, long enough to see wot happens.

PS ... any way to view a single preset? I figure, find something I don't much like, just move it to a "hold" folder somewhere so MD can't find it. Seems that would also make it a lot easier to set moods.

beats_works

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2016, 11:32:35 pm »

Trouble is, the ratings won't stick in the installed folder. I think I fooled around with trying to change permissions (fail) and even tried putting them all under my user folder (outside of the 'Programs' area). The issue with that was that every time you open MC you had to navigate a zillion directories away. So, what I ended up doing was creating a duplicate 'presets' folder under the c: root. When I'm in the mood to rate presets, I navigate over there and do a bunch, then copy them over the ones under the MC directory.
Maybe one of you smart people have a simpler method - if so, please post it! 

William-NM

Not sure what issue you encountered but I changed permissions on Presets folder and can change ratings by hitting 6 then +/- and the ratings stick.

* In Windows Explorer, right-click the Presets folder and select "Properties..."
* Click on the "Security" tab.
* Click on the "Edit" button.
* In the list of group or user names, click "Users".*
* Down below, in the list of Permissions, click "Modify". "Write" will also become checked.
* Click "Okay" to close the "Permissions" dialog, then "Okay" in the "Properties" dialog.

beats_works

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2016, 12:37:33 am »

PS ... any way to view a single preset? I figure, find something I don't much like, just move it to a "hold" folder somewhere so MD can't find it. Seems that would also make it a lot easier to set moods.

L should invoke load module for specific preset and F8 should change preset directory. Cheers.

William-NM

• World Citizen
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2017, 12:41:31 pm »

Yep, I just adjusted the permissions again and it stuck this time. I thought I'd tried everything.

Thanks, beat_works - that makes 'fine-tuning' a lot more fun!
William

Not sure what issue you encountered but I changed permissions on Presets folder and can change ratings by hitting 6 then +/- and the ratings stick.

* In Windows Explorer, right-click the Presets folder and select "Properties..."
* Click on the "Security" tab.
* Click on the "Edit" button.
* In the list of group or user names, click "Users".*
* Down below, in the list of Permissions, click "Modify". "Write" will also become checked.
* Click "Okay" to close the "Permissions" dialog, then "Okay" in the "Properties" dialog.

William-NM

• World Citizen
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2017, 01:51:23 pm »

sKiZo - glad you got it working!
You can put your favorites or moods into separate directories if you like. You just hit "L" (load) to bring up the navigation menu. Then use the numpad 2,4,6,8 to move to your directory ("parent directory", i.e. <..up>, is at the top). Hit <numpad 5> for <enter>. Once you're in your directory, just go the first preset or whatever one you want to load & hit <numpad 5>. It will play through the presets from there.

If I'm organizing presets into directories, I just hit <number row 4> (so I can see the name) and alt-tab to a dual-pane file explorer (I use 'FreeCommander' or 'Directory Opus') and it isn't TOO much of a pain...
Or, you can just rate (<numpad -> <numpad +>) presets that you don't like '0', and they shouldn't display.

Some of the keys mentioned in the Milkdrop2/docs/milkdrop.html file are different or conflict with MC keys.
Function keys F1 - F9 are just plain <number row> 1 - 9 in MC. <esc>, <space>, <enter> don't work, at least on my system.

Milkdrop2/docs/milkdrop_preset_authoring.html has all the info on creating / editing presets. My hat is off to you if you can 'grok' all that stuff!

Sorry if you already knew all this!

William

Come to find out, my problem is the mini keyboard on my HTPC. I have to hot key between the number pad and standard keys and that seems to be confusing MilkDrop.

Time for Plan ... er ... what am I at ... uh ... J! <G>

I've got a USB keyboard with the standard layout. Be giving that a try soon, long enough to see wot happens.

vulture_g7

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2017, 01:28:55 pm »

So, guys, is it working ok on v.22? I run the latest 22.0.77 and it just crashes with this:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   APPCRASH
  Application Name:   Media Center 22.exe
  Application Version:   22.0.77.0
  Application Timestamp:   58b6ff95
  Fault Module Name:   KERNELBASE.dll
  Fault Module Version:   6.3.9600.18340
  Fault Module Timestamp:   5736541b
  Exception Code:   e06d7363
  Exception Offset:   00014878
  OS Version:   6.3.9600.2.0.0.256.4
  Locale ID:   1032
  Additional Information 1:   5861
  Additional Information 2:   5861822e1919d7c014bbb064c64908b2
  Additional Information 3:   6ee2
  Additional Information 4:   6ee2432e64e99bdcea5e4be767a3b1a2

Read our privacy statement online:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=280262

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Any help, highly appreciated, thx!

sKiZo

• World Citizen
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2017, 02:16:16 pm »

Found this, which might be helpful ...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/programs-crash-error-fault-module-kernelbasedll/9fe5d2e7-79d0-42c1-b8dc-51ed8d70f749

(Keeping in mind of course anything you find or hear on the web is suspect)  8)

So ............

It's not an MC file - maybe worse, it's a core file in MS WindoHs ...

One potential fix ... try logging on as a different user. You should have an administrator account available for that. If you can get v22 to fire on that account, delete and recreate your usual account and that (should) fix it.

Or not ... be sure to report back.

All ears here ...

Really really like Milkdrops now that I got it to work, but still running MC v18 here. Just an audio server, and I've seen no need to upgrade as it's doing everything I want it to do gracefully.

PS ... not sure if you'll have any "rights" issues for accessing files from that point. The newer the version of WindOhs, the more hoops it makes you jump through in that regard. Not sure why, but JRiver also sets up a proprietary account when installed that can be a PITA to work around when making any changes. (mutter gripe) Then again, that seems to be a problem even working in the user account you installed it under ...(grumble mumble)

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2017, 05:06:31 pm »

Works fine for me on Windows 10 and MC 22 once I had installed the old DirectX runtimes from Microsoft.

vulture_g7

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2017, 12:26:39 pm »

Thx for the replies guys, I'll  try your suggestions and report back!

vulture_g7

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2017, 08:51:13 am »

So, I've tried both suggestions and they didn't help me :/ but thx anyway!

What baffles me most is that when I tried and got back to latest 21, it worked just fine!

sKiZo

• World Citizen
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2017, 11:27:47 am »

Another common thread for why this happens seems to be some sort of database corruption or incompatibility with whatever program you're using. What doesn't help is the number of copies (and versions) of kernelbase.dll you'll find on the average computer. I did a search here and came up with something like 30 copies scattered about, with assorted sizes and creation dates.

In your working copy of V21:

- Create a new restore point in Windows
- Manually back up your MC library
- Disable all addons
- Clear the library and restore that from the latest backup

Upgrade to v22 when you're sure all went well in v21 and keep yer fingers crossed. Not sure where JRiver stands on doing a complete uninstall before installing a new version. Anyone?

Last resort, sink or swim, you could try resetting MC to the default settings, and then rebuilding the library from a backup. Pretty sure that will blow up milkdrops and any other addons you've installed, so keep that in mind. Proceed at your own risk, and be sure to take copious notes on whatever tweaks you've done to the program, especially DSP settings and such. Feelin' lucky? Well are ya?  ;-}

vulture_g7

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2017, 11:19:23 am »

Somehow, after going to 22.0.81 the problem was resolved by itself!!! :)

I've backed up my system in case everything goes south later on and I'm a happy man!

Thx for all your help guys!

sKiZo

• World Citizen
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2017, 12:28:19 pm »

Maybe the gurus are reading this thread ... keep posting up, and maybe they'll build Milkdrops into the distribution package!!   8)

wombat66

• World Citizen
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2017, 05:34:30 pm »

Maybe the gurus are reading this thread ... keep posting up, and maybe they'll build Milkdrops into the distribution package!!   8)

The truth is, I haven't updated all of my PCs to the latest version of Media Center because I don't want to disrupt Milkdrop. Building Milkdrop into the distribution would be great. Additionally, I have friends that still use Winamp only because they don't want to not have Milkdrop and installing it into Media Center is too daunting or time consuming for them.

sKiZo

• World Citizen
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2017, 07:44:41 pm »

Biggest problem seems to be that MC insists on creating and installing to a new directory with every version. Not sure why that happens, but it manages to break a lot of addons every time. So far, I've managed to keep my SoundSpectrum visualizations (Whitecap, G-Force, Aeon) working - all good stuff that sort of supports MC, but only the version that was active when I downloaded their installation packages. I got lucky there and was able to just shuffle a few DLLs to the new MC directory. Another is the iMon LCD display on my HTPC ... whole nuther thread on some of the hoops you have to jump through to get that working. That also goes fubar on a version upgrade and is like pulling teeth getting it to work again once it breaks.

And as mentioned earlier, I had a helluva time getting Milkdrops to work here. Good news is, it's been consistently stable since first fire. Ditto with the SoundSpectrum visualizations and the iMon LCD. I've abandoned all hope on getting some custom visualizations using the original MC workshop to work on the newer versions. I notice the workshop is gone from the menus, so I guess the support for it went away as well.

William-NM

• World Citizen
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2017, 01:19:07 am »

I finally installed MC22 today, heh. Naturally, I wanted my MilkDrop2 fix & thought I might as well make a little 'cheat sheet' on migrating MD2 to new Media Center version upgrades, in case anyone had trouble. I added it to the first post, but thought I'd put it here, too.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_sgqMslW6DkY1I5aENCU0ZPT28

Let me know if I missed anything.
Wm.

sKiZo

• World Citizen
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2017, 03:15:07 pm »

Got it working just in time for MC23 ...   :-\

(Really starting to wonder about the number of version upgrades anymore. MC22 didn't even make it a year, did it? )
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up