INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC20 MAC version doesn't work with DAC Benchmark DAC1 USB  (Read 2849 times)

robera

MC20 MAC version doesn't work with DAC Benchmark DAC1 USB
« on: August 28, 2015, 03:04:01 am »

MC20 MAC-version doesn't work with my DAC Benchmark DAC1 USB, however the same Benchmark DAC1 USB works nicely with MC20 Windows version.
Is there any setting I need to apply to the MAC version of MC20 to allow my Benchmark DAC 1 to work with my MAC Book Pro retina as well?
Thanks from Italy! Roberto

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC20 MAC version doesn't work with DAC Benchmark DAC1 USB
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 09:42:39 am »

What happens when you try to play a song with this DAC?  Can your Mac make sounds through this DAC using the Sounds preference panel in Mac System Preferences?

Brian.

robera

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 01:58:58 pm »

Thanks for your attention, Brian.
The sounds from the sounds effcts play normally through the Benchmark DAC1 USB. Also Itunes plays nicely.
Instead when I try to play JRiver I get the messsage: "Something went wrong in the reproduction. The reproduction cannot be started on the "Core Audio" output, using the format 44,1 kHz 2 Channels (or 48 kHz, depending on the song, etc.). It suggests to modify DSP Studio, but Iam not playing DSP files and I don't know which values to utilize within DSP studio.
Thanks for your help.
Kind regards
Roberto

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 02:39:34 pm »

Let's start at the beginning.  First, here's a link to the Wiki entry on sound setup in JRiver MC.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Setup#OSX

There's a lot of good info there; it's a good reference to look through.

But let's turn to your setup.  Go to:

Tools > Options > Audio > Audio Device

What device do you have selected there?  It should say the name of your DAC with "Core Audio" at the end.  If that's not already selected, select the right device.  Then, in that same window, click on Device Settings.

In the box that pops up, I recommend the following settings as a safe baseline:

Exclusive Access:  Unchecked
Integer Mode:  Unchecked

Channel Offset: 0

Buffering:
Software:  250 mS
Hardware:  Hardware Default

*Most* of those settings should be the default, but double check them and change them if necessary.

When you're done with all of that, click OK on all of the dialog boxes until you get back to MC.  Then quit MC and restart it.  Now test audio again.  Try a simple file like a CD rip (44.1kHz) or something.  We can move on to high rez audio or DSD later.  Let's get the basics working first.

Let me/us know how you do, and good luck!

Brian.

robera

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 03:04:16 pm »

FANTASTIC!!!!
It works perfectly!
Many, many thanks for your help!
And the sound of JRiver seems to me even better than Foobar 2000, which I used until now from my Windows based PC.
I will also read the link you sent me, but the issue I had is solved with complete satisfaction.
By the way I don't think that my Benchmark DAC1 USB is capable of reading DSD, but the sound is very good already, even without DSD.
Thanks again from Italy,
Roberto

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 03:38:37 pm »

Really glad your DAC is working with MC!  :)

Regarding DSD:  My DAC doesn't play DSD natively either.  But MC converts DSD to high resolution PCM on the fly.  Go to:

Player > DSP Studio... > Output Format > Sample Rate (lower middle of the dialog box)
Now look for 352,800 Hz in the INPUT column.  That's the sample rate of single rate DSD.  Set the output for that rate to something that your DAC can handle.  It looks to me like that DAC tops out at 96kHz (96,000 Hz) on the USB input.  You can set the Output column to 96,000 for input of 352,800 and it will convert on the fly. 

If you have other high resolution files ABOVE 96kHz, you probably should configure the rest of the INPUT columns above 96,000 to OUTPUT at 96,000.

VERY IMPORTANT:  Make sure to check ON the check box next to Output Format (in the far left of the DSP Studio interface), or none of these conversions will be applied.

Good luck and enjoy JRiver MC. 

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up