INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: debian stuttering  (Read 2843 times)

aslefnad

• Recent member
debian stuttering
« on: September 03, 2015, 10:36:53 am »

hi,
i hope you can help me.

i was running river 21 on ubuntu and it ran very smoothly but overall a bit unstable and crashed quite often.

so i decided to switch to debian 8 jessie and all seems a bit more stable but overall much slower and when i scroll through my library it stutters extremely. a little bit like scrolling through screenshots.

i guess it has to to something with debian and i already installed the nvidia drivers for my system but that did not help.

thanks very much for your help.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: debian stuttering
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 10:44:13 am »

What desktop environment are you using?  What kind of system is it (what's your JRMark)? It sounds like your hardware graphics acceleration is misbehaving.

aslefnad

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 10:57:39 am »

i'm running it on an old ASRock Ion 330 with SSD.
http://www.asrock.com/nettop/NVIDIA/ION%20330/

i got a JRMark score of 435

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 11:08:20 am »

That JRMark is quite low (significantly lower than even a Raspberry Pi 2 https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=54396.msg658407#msg658407).

Based on my experience running JRiver on the Raspberry Pi, I would expect quite significant user interface slowness with a system with that benchmark, so a certain amount of trouble may be unavoidable.

You might be able to improve performance a bit though through system tweaking.  Again, what desktop environment are you using on Debian?  If you're trying to use the debian default (Gnome) that would definitely make things worse on a system that slow; you might want to switch to XFCE or LXDE if you're not already using one of those two desktop environments as they have a much smaller CPU and memory footprint and might leave more headroom for MC.

I'm kind of surprised Ubuntu ran smoothly (unless you were actually running Xubuntu or Lubuntu or something).

aslefnad

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 11:23:38 am »

i'm using the cinnamon environment. before i was running LXLE which is a lightweight ubuntu distro.

so i guess i could use LXLE again or get another raspberry :)

thanks very much for your help.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 11:35:14 am »

i'm using the cinnamon environment. before i was running LXLE which is a lightweight ubuntu distro.

Cinnamon is a gnome fork with an even heavier CPU and memory footprint than Gnome; that's why you're getting worse performance.  Debian offers LXDE as another desktop option, which is the same desktop that LXLE uses.  You don't have to switch back to Ubuntu, you can just install LXDE on your existing debian install (or you can reinstall debian, LXDE is one of the desktop options available during installation). 

Try switching to LXDE and see if you get better performance.
Pages: [1]   Go Up