INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How can I delete a Read-only Library  (Read 4980 times)

digger

• Recent member
How can I delete a Read-only Library
« on: September 06, 2015, 12:52:01 pm »

Apologies if this has been covered, but I cannot find anything in the forum or wiki.

I am new to MC and just downloaded and installed it yesterday.

I unintentionally created a read-only library. I have been able to clear the files in the library, but cannot delete the library, which I would like to do. The delete option is grayed out when I right click on the library in the Playing From tree.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thank you

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: How can I delete a Read-only Library
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 05:21:15 pm »

I'm not sure how a read only library would get created... I don't think that's an option.  But there are always things about MC that I don't know.  :)

You probably can't delete the Library because it's "Main Library", which is probably the only Library listed.  I think MC has to have at least one Library to function.  So you'd need to create a new Library and switch to it.  Then, once you're switched to the new Library, you should be able to delete the old one.

Good luck.

Brian.

digger

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 12:13:59 am »

I'm not sure how a read only library would get created... I don't think that's an option.  But there are always things about MC that I don't know.  :)

You probably can't delete the Library because it's "Main Library", which is probably the only Library listed.  I think MC has to have at least one Library to function.  So you'd need to create a new Library and switch to it.  Then, once you're switched to the new Library, you should be able to delete the old one.

Good luck.

Brian.

Thanks for the reply Brian,
I believe that when I installed MC, and was trying to figure things out, I had a message pop up that told me the library I was attempting to open was read-only and did I want to continue (or something like that). I clicked yes.

There is also a library named Main Library, and it cannot be deleted as you mention. I can rename it if wanted to do so and add files to it or remove files.

The mystery library has no name and it will not allow me to rename it - "Rename" is grayed out.

I got brave and deleted the directory named Read Only Library in the JRiver/Media Center 20 directory hoping that would make it go away, but it has not.

So, is it possible to have two Main Librarys?

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 12:24:59 am »

I'm having trouble visualizing what you're describing. Would you mind posting a screen shot?

Thanks,

Brian.

digger

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 03:26:10 am »

I'm having trouble visualizing what you're describing. Would you mind posting a screen shot?

Thanks,

Brian.

Brian, see if these help clarify better.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 09:16:31 am »

Wow.  That definitely makes it pretty clear.  I've never seen anything like this.  I think I'm going to leave this one to someone with more experience.  Most of the things I'm thinking of trying are dangerous.  I would also just be guessing because like I said, I've never seen this before.

Brian.

digger

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 09:34:57 am »

Brian,
Thanks for looking at this. For now I'll leave it as is unless someone has a solution. It doesn't seem to do any harm that I can tell. I suppose another alternative is to uninstall and reinstall.

Arindelle

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 01:52:40 pm »

Hmm strange indeed

Just taking a long shot, but  I installed Plex to see it what it is about, and it in turn installed a sort of DLNA library that was then visible inside of JRiver -- it was just called "Mon serveur" (I live in France :P ) -- I was able to remove it with the right-click menu pop-up only after I had the MAIN library loaded.

I see you have this seagate wireless thing attached to your network .. would that be creating a DLNA library like the Plex server was doing on my machine? Its just a simple wireless storage thing, but I read you had to mess with an external site from Seagate to register a unique name to run it. Could it be running a DLNA server for remote access, something like PLEX did on my network ? ... just guessing though as I'm a real noob with Macs.

very curious

digger

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 02:12:04 pm »

Hmm strange indeed

Just taking a long shot, but  I installed Plex to see it what it is about, and it in turn installed a sort of DLNA library that was then visible inside of JRiver -- it was just called "Mon serveur" (I live in France :P ) -- I was able to remove it with the right-click menu pop-up only after I had the MAIN library loaded.

I see you have this seagate wireless thing attached to your network .. would that be creating a DLNA library like the Plex server was doing on my machine? Its just a simple wireless storage thing, but I read you had to mess with an external site from Seagate to register a unique name to run it. Could it be running a DLNA server for remote access, something like PLEX did on my network ? ... just guessing though as I'm a real noob with Macs.

very curious

Huummm - you may be on to something regarding the DLNA server on the Seagate NAS or the Synology NAS. They both have DLNA servers. I'll look into that further.

I did try to delete the No Name library when the Main Library was loaded, but no luck.

Thank you
Pages: [1]   Go Up