INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommended ipad for JRemote  (Read 2905 times)

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Recommended ipad for JRemote
« on: September 07, 2015, 09:43:17 pm »

A few days ago I played with JRemote at a friend's place using his Ipad 3 and my Macbook Pro running MC21.  NOW I see what all the fuss is about!  Holy WOW.  I'm strongly considering buying a used ipad *just* for jremote.

His ipad3 was fast enough to be an ideal interface experience.  No slowdowns or waiting that I could discern.  What is JRemote like on earlier hardware?  Is there much of a difference from i1 to i2, to i3, to i4?  Just asking about using it for JRemote; not other apps.

Thanks,

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Recommended ipad for JRemote
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 07:06:25 am »

The oldest iPads won't work.  This has been discussed on the forum.  I don't know whether it's just the first generation or not.

An Android would also work.  Samsung Galaxy Tabs, etc.

You could also try WebGizmo on most anything, since it uses a browser.

Arindelle

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 08:13:31 am »

Brian ... can't remember when this happened but there was a fork in the program where the dev had to choose -- I think it was IOS 7  So you'll have to check, on the apple site. I know there were some unhappy campers.  I'd go no further than ipad 3 to be on the safe side.

I bought an ipad4 off off ebay for 200euros awhile ago, works like a charm, although I haven't made the jump to the last version as I read there are some issues with it and JRemote

@JRiver -- if this "fork" thingy happens again it would be very cool at least to keep the "old" version available on the app store. If a new IOS is too powerful for the older machines at least one can always roll back that way. The way the appstore works your sort of screwed otherwise.

jjazdk

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 09:44:47 am »

I use JRemote on an iPad mini, with no issues (though I would like a bigger screen).

My iPad mini is 2 years old and I am on the latest iOS.
Working on my 12 channel JRiver entertainment center :-)

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 07:35:59 pm »

So if I understand correctly, there's a minimum version of iOS that's required to run JRemote.  That version doesn't run on the oldest ipads.  Anything ipad3 or later runs this version and should be good to go.  Do I have that right?

I wish I had more time to play with JRemote on the ipad.  Just seeing it in action was really nice.  Which reminds me:  Since I don't have an i-device, I've wondered what JRemote is all about.  I've looked at the web site a half dozen times.  The still pictures tell me some of the story but I kept wondering how it worked in terms of using it.

I've searched for videos 3 or more times, hoping I'll find something.  I can't seem to find any video showing JRemote in action.  I would think that there are a legion of people out there, that if they saw JRemote on video would be very interested in using it.  I wonder why there are no videos, official or other wise...

Brian.

Arindelle

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 06:05:37 am »

So if I understand correctly, there's a minimum version of iOS that's required to run JRemote.  That version doesn't run on the oldest ipads.  Anything ipad3 or later runs this version and should be good to go.  Do I have that right?

Hey Brian

Look do NOT want to steer you wrong on this ... this is what apple apparently has said ...  http://osxdaily.com/2015/06/10/ios-9-compatibility-supported-devices-list/ even if they say that ipad2 is supported for IOS9 - JRemote being forked at IOS8, I'd avoid it ... my ipad 4gen is much faster loading thumbnails and things ... and really shows up my friends ipad3 when streaming to the local pub.  However his Ipad3 works well locally once the server and thumbnails are loaded ... I wouldn't get less than a 4 if you want to use IOS9 (or you want to use the ipad for anything other than JRemote)

Also the very latest IOS 8 release seems to have broken something ... which is problematic for you as if you nuke a used machine you have to load the most recent IOS (sorry you'll have to search the posts to find this (have to go to lunch now)

HOWEVER, I guarantee you'll like it.  There are only two changes I think it is lacking -- ability to change the player window text is sort of a drag (for classical music mostly), and I'd like to limit the file info like you can in Theater View. I have friends that went to JRiver ONLY because of JRemote + iPad - they wouldn't use it otherwise.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 06:17:01 am »

My wife's iPad 2 runs JRemote just fine..

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 06:45:22 pm »

Thanks for all the info guys.  Extra thanks to Ariendelle for the details on ios compatibility and performance.

I'm undecided what to do.  This makes me want to learn a lot more about tablets.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up