INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Video Support for Mac and Why it's Awesome  (Read 7822 times)

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
New Video Support for Mac and Why it's Awesome
« on: September 08, 2015, 07:24:58 pm »

Since shortly after MC21 was released I've been using the new and improved video support.  I've tried a few other video "managers" in the past, and was turned off by the interfaces.  It was really hard to get started and in most cases video managers for OSX want to be used as a server that talks to some other computer or set top box that displays video.  As opposed to watching video directly on the OSX machine.

Well, it turns out that pretty much everything I was looking for was right here in MC!  All of the power we've gotten used to with cataloging and displaying Audio, is right here for video.  MC finds most metadata about Movies and TV shows automatically, including descriptions, cover art, actors, and other details.  Browsing your video collection is a lot like audio:  You've got views based on looking at the Movie cover art, as well as Panes based views... essentially everything you can do for Audio, you can do for Video.

Tagging TV shows so they show up logically is really easy and very well set up:  Series name, Season, and Episode make it just super easy.  I've got a small collection of TV shows on DVD ripped into my computer.  Organizing them took a little bit of trial and error, but once I figured it out, the result is easy to navigate and very pleasing.  Organized media is wonderful.

So far, I don't think anything I've told you is new for MC21.  I *think* all of this was available in MC20 as well.  But I never used it in MC20.  Why?  Because video support in MC20 was pretty lack luster.  MC21 has made several major changes that have taken video support from almost unusable to absolutely workable for day to day use!

1.  Full screen support via the Display View (Command-3) is perfect now.  Mouse disappears after a few seconds.  The control and display bar at the top disappears and reappears on demand.  No more funny bars on screen.  No more mouse stuck on screen.  No more display hanging out up top.  It all works exactly as you'd expect it to.
2.  Support for multiple embedded audio streams.  This is very important as far as I'm concerned.  Nearly all of my movie files that came from DVD have more than one audio track.  Sometimes it's a stereo mix and a Dolby Digital 5.1 mix.  Sometimes there's a director's commentary.  Sometimes all three.  Or even more.  Now you can easily select what you want on the fly via:  Player > Display Options > Streams .  Even DTS seems to be natively supported.  I don't know why I'm surprised by this, but it's a very pleasant surprise!
3.  The long awaited Subtitle Support is here.  I don't have a lot of subtitled movies, but the ones I have are in languages I don't speak much of (if at all).  So this is essential.  It seems to work fine, though I haven't tested it beyond just a cursory look.

If you can't tell, I'm really excited about the new video support.  It's really changed MC for me.  It's not just the best Audio manager and player around.  Now it's also the best video manager I've seen.  I've gone from using VLC and Quicktime player for all of my video playing to using MC for more than 95% of my video viewing.  Pretty much the only thing I'm going to use an external player for are unusual files that have trouble in MC (like broken video files), or for "one off" videos I download that I'm not going to keep.

Having my Movies, TV Shows, and other videos organized, easy to navigate, with beautiful cover art, all the power of MC's Library, AND a player that plays just about everything I throw at it is AWESOME.  I'm loving it and I think if you try it, you will too.

Brian.

JohnT

Re: New Video Support for Mac and Why it's Awesome
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 10:46:51 am »

Thanks for the kind remarks Brian, all credit goes to Hendrik who does an amazing job with video playback (and everything else)!
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

jimwc

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 09:06:55 pm »

I agree that video performance has definitely been improved in MC21 for Mac.  However, there is one case where I always feel compelled to use VLC instead: de-interlacing. 

Several of the TV shows I have ripped from DVD are encoded with interlaced video (certainly appropriate for playing on my CRT TV, less so for my laptop screen). The BBC Planet Earth series is one example.  For these cases, the interlacing artifacts are very obvious and sufficiently annoying to compel usage of VLC.  I use Yadif (2x) with VLC, but do not claim to be any sort of videophile, and there may be other good deinterlacing algorithms.  If JRiver could automatically detect interlaced video and performed deinterlacing on the fly, I would probably use it for viewing all videos (as I already do for all audio playback).

OSX 10.9.5, MC21.0.8, 2011 MacBook Pro 15 inch (non-retina)

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 09:21:56 pm »

Interlacing is a horrible technology that I had hoped to be free of more than 10 years ago.  Yet it remains!  I have numerous TV episodes that exhibit rather horrible interlacing artifacts.  I've recently re-ripped several DVDs and de-interlaced them during rip.

I think I would be very happy to see de-interlacing support in MC.  But right now I'm dealing with it on a case by case basis outside of MC.  It would be a nice addition to MC for sure.

Brian.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 06:00:13 am »

Software deinterlacing with YADIF is planned to be coming "soon". It'll probably take a couple weeks though, as I'm preparing some other things first.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jimwc

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 11:07:39 am »

Thanks Hendrik, that's good news.

I'm fairly new to all of the intricacies of video encoding.  I spent some time last night reading about deinterlacing and decombing. From my limited understanding, it seems like decombing is slightly suboptimal for interlaced source material, but doesn't harm progressive source material like improperly applied deinterlacing.  It sounds like that might be a safer option.  However, I don't know if there is some kind of header encoded in the video file that would alert MC that the content is interlaced, thereby letting MC decide whether any deinterlacing needs to be applied automatically. Perhaps this depends on the file format or encoder used.

Thanks for your patience with my naive questions.

-Jim

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 11:50:00 am »

Software deinterlacing with YADIF is planned to be coming "soon". It'll probably take a couple weeks though, as I'm preparing some other things first.
I have about 25 concert Blu-rays ready for RMAF. I think all but a couple are interlaced. If you get this done by October 2, perhaps Matt could bring a Mac laptop and we could play some of the selected clips on a Mac.

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 05:38:22 pm »

Bumping this as I've been watching a lot of TV shows from DVD lately and they are all interlaced and all look not so great during motion, due to interlacing artifacts.

Hendrik, is this still "coming soon" or has it been deemed to be a lower priority?

Brian.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 05:57:14 am »

Deinterlacing will be in the next Mac and Linux releases.

If there was one missing key video playback feature you would want, what would that be? (Essentials)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 08:56:46 am »

I'm not using MC on Mac with an external display, so my ideas might not represent what everyone else wants.

The only thing really missing for me, after de-interlacing is added, is the ability to zoom in on non-anamorphic video.  You know, those videos that now appear with black bars on the top/bottom *and* on the sides?  I'd like to zoom until the sides have no black bars any more.

With an external monitor, I could definitely see the desire to do things like changing output resolution and, more importantly, process 24fps to 60fps.

Oh and I shouldn't forget to mention the ability to correct A/V sync problems (lip sync).  A simple adjustable positive/negative delay would do it.  The built in parametric eq can do positive delay, but not negative.

Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2016, 09:56:04 am »

The new deinterlacing support in 21.0.48 works great.  I noticed almost immediately that I thought the video looked higher quality than I was used to:  I had previously been using VLC to play video that was interlaced, since it has YADIF built in and does a good job deinterlacing.

MC now seems to produce more fluid motion and cleaner, clearer video.  I just did a couple of back to back tests and I can see artifacts in VLC, while I don't see the same ones in MC at all.  MC just plain looks better overall.  I was not expecting this.  :) :) :)

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2016, 11:09:18 am »

Good news.  Thanks.

adphil

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2016, 03:18:28 pm »

Unlike VLC, MC doesn't recognize ISO images, so that part of my collection won't show up under "videos". Or am I missing something?

blgentry

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2016, 08:22:41 pm »

^ ISO images of DVDs and BDs I guess?  Personally I don't know why you would choose to make these.  Compatibility is definitely a concern with ISOs of protected discs (like commercial DVD and BDs).

The Mac version of MC does not include any facility to play native protected DVDs, BDs, or images of them as far as I know.  The encryption is what stops MC.

I have lots of MKVs of my DVDs and they play correctly with MC for Mac.  If you were so inclined, MakeMKV can remove the encryption from your ISO images of DVDs and BDs, and save the result as a MKV files.  It runs very quickly on ISOs.

Brian.

adphil

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2016, 06:51:45 am »

^ ISO images of DVDs and BDs I guess?  Personally I don't know why you would choose to make these.  Compatibility is definitely a concern with ISOs of protected discs (like commercial DVD and BDs).

The Mac version of MC does not include any facility to play native protected DVDs, BDs, or images of them as far as I know.  The encryption is what stops MC.

I have lots of MKVs of my DVDs and they play correctly with MC for Mac.  If you were so inclined, MakeMKV can remove the encryption from your ISO images of DVDs and BDs, and save the result as a MKV files.  It runs very quickly on ISOs.

Brian.

Thanks for your input.

At the time when I moved my DVD collection onto my hard drive, making ISO images was the only way I knew how to. MakeMKV works very well indeed, but it will still take me some time to convert everything.

No pain, no gain . . .

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2016, 06:54:35 am »

DVD playback might work.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2016, 01:46:27 pm »

DVD playback might work.

I think it does on Windows, though I don't know for sure.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2016, 01:47:16 pm »

On Windows, definitely.  On Mac, maybe.

blgentry

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2016, 02:27:36 pm »

I just tried a commercial DVD (A Bug's Life, in case anyone cares).  MC does not see it as a device.  MC will not open IFO, BUP, or VOB files from File > Open Media File .

I would say MC for Mac definitely does NOT support Video DVDs, or Video DVD files.

Brian.

Paul S.A. Renaud

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2016, 07:18:13 am »

I am a longtime MAC JRiver user for audio. I just tried out the first video, so I am still learning. I have ISO's. The ISO get imported into a JRiver library but when I hit play, my other video player launches and plays the file from within JRiver but in the other player. How do I play ISO within the JRiver renderer?

blgentry

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2016, 07:23:01 am »

Look up to posts starting at #12 that talk about ISOs.  Unfortunately, they are not supported on the Mac.  You can remove the encryption from the ISOs and convert them to MKVs with MakeMKV or various other software.

Good luck.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up