INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio hiccups only with certain combination of settings  (Read 3132 times)

justsomeguy

• Citizen of the Universe
Audio hiccups only with certain combination of settings
« on: August 18, 2014, 02:24:14 am »

I believe last couple builds I've noticed an audio playback issue but only happens under certain settings. From a stopped state I can start a song and it will play through fine, the song ends and it proceeds to the next song. At this point I will get audio hiccups and glitches. If I stop and restart playback of that song it plays fine but same issue after it switches to the next song. I've narrowed this down to a certain combination of settings.

1st: I must be resampling (All songs tested with are 44.1khz and were being resampled to 96khz, the audio hiccups get worse the higher the resample)
2nd: Switch Tracks setting must be set to Standard (gapped). Gap setting doesn't matter, i tried from .5 to 5 seconds.
3rd: Do not play silence (leading and trailing) is checked.

All 3 setting above must be set to reproduce this.
If I disable resampling in DSP it doesn't happen or if I switch to Crossfade, Gapless or uncheck Do not play silence it doesn't happen as well.

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: Audio hiccups only with certain combination of settings
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 02:25:51 am »

Please make sure you're using 19.0.163 from the top of the board, it should've fixed a lot of audio problems.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

justsomeguy

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 02:30:40 am »

Thanks for the quick reply. I am actually on 163.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 11:22:10 am »

Try increasing buffering in Options > Audio > Device settings...
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

justsomeguy

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 02:27:24 pm »

The buffer was set at 100ms, I changed it to 500 but the problem still happens. I'm using WASAPI and tried exclusive checked and unchecked also tried directsound  but still happens. I noticed when the track changes and the problem starts MC cpu usage about doubles, goes from 6-7 to 15-16%. Stopping and restarting playback cpu goes back to normal.

justsomeguy

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 12:03:26 am »

Thought I'd update with what ended up being the problem. Since no one else had responded confirming my issue I looked into other potential causes as it must be isolated to my system.

In the end it was the latest Intel RAID ROM v13.2.0.2134. I modded my bios back to v13.1.0.1058 and the problem went away. I didn't think that would have been the problem since the MC on this computer streams it's media from a different server. It's not reading off any drive connected to the raid array on this pc and I hadn't had any issues with anything else on the system. Anyways something to keep in mind if anyone else is into modding their bios with latest RAID ROM's.

Arindelle

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 04:10:09 am »

Nice that you posted that. Yes, that might help someone else. Thanks for them :)

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 04:22:12 am »

Thought I'd update with what ended up being the problem. Since no one else had responded confirming my issue I looked into other potential causes as it must be isolated to my system.

In the end it was the latest Intel RAID ROM v13.2.0.2134. I modded my bios back to v13.1.0.1058 and the problem went away. I didn't think that would have been the problem since the MC on this computer streams it's media from a different server. It's not reading off any drive connected to the raid array on this pc and I hadn't had any issues with anything else on the system. Anyways something to keep in mind if anyone else is into modding their bios with latest RAID ROM's.
Checking DPC latency in LatencyMon can be useful for identifying these sort of problems.
A few months ago Windows silently updated my LAN driver with one which started to interfere with audio playback for example, and the DPC latency made it obvious what was causing the problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up