INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW: 3D Blu-ray and MKV 3D support  (Read 56096 times)

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
NEW: 3D Blu-ray and MKV 3D support
« on: March 22, 2016, 05:33:39 am »

Media Center 21 introduces support for natively playing 3D Blu-rays and 3D MKV files. This feature will be available in builds 65 and above.

MC21 uses the 3D decoding in LAV Filters and the 3D rendering in madVR to achieve this.
This will allow 3D Blu-rays and 3D MKV files to be played in full 3D on a 3D TV. Only unmodified 3D Blu-rays or MKV files created from 3D Blu-rays with MakeMKV are supported at this time, other 3D file formats, like Side-by-Side or Over-Under are not supported in this initial version, but may be supported later.

To use 3D playback in Media Center, you need to fullfill the requirements listed here, and follow the setup process outlined below.
If you have any questions regarding the setup, please ask them here, and we'll try to adjust the setup guide as appropriate to make it more clear.

3D video can be send to the TV in different ways. The most common and highest quality is using HDMI 1.4 3D support, otherwise known has HDMI "frame-packed". In this mode, the views for both eyes get send to the TV uncompressed and uncompromised.
For setups which do not support "frame-packed" output, madVR offers alternative options, including the well-known "Side-by-Side" (SBS) mode, "Top-and-Bottom" (also known as Over-Under), and line/column interleaved.

Note that all non-"frame-packed" modes output the image at a reduced resolution, which might compromise image quality or the 3D effect.

Requirements
  • Media Center 21 Build 21.0.65 or newer
  • Red October HQ and a system capable of running it
  • A 3D TV or Projector and matching glasses

Additional Requirements for frame-packed / native 3D output (does not apply to Side-by-Side output)
  • HDMI 1.4 and Windows 8.1 or newer
  • The system to recognize the TV as 3D (Stereoscopic 3D options in the systems Display Settings dialog)

Note that 3D Decoding is currently not hardware accelerated, so a decent CPU is required.

Setup
  • MC Options -> Video
    • Video Mode: Set Red October HQ
    • Enable 3D Blu-ray and MKV 3D decoding
  • madVR settings
    • devices -> <your device>
      • Set device type appropriately
      • properties -> 3D format: auto (for HDMI frame-packed, select any other modes as appropriate)
    • rendering -> stereo 3d
      • enable stereo 3d playback
      • set madVR to enable and disable 2d/3d mode as appropriate
      • (only relevant for HDMI frame-packed output)

If madVR is set to automatically enable and disable 3D mode, then simply playing a 3D Blu-ray should switch the TV into 3D mode, otherwise you'll need to switch manually.
Automatic switch is the recommended setup as you can just play a 3D movie without manual intervention, however it has caused issues with a few graphics drivers in the past.

Note that even though we've been working on this feature for a while, its still in a an early stage, and exposure to a large variety of hardware combinations will certainly expose new problems along the way.
Please do report them and we can then try to help resolve them, or make changes in MC, LAV or madVR to improve the playback, if possible.

Known Issues
  • On some systems, the 3D effect does not engage properly unless the MC UI is briefly shown, or exclusive mode is used in madVR
  • On systems with Intel GPUs, 3D frame-packed output can have the two eyes showing slightly delayed

Unfortunately there is no universal answer to which hardware works best with 3D output, all vendors (AMD/NVIDIA/Intel) have shown problems along the way.

The development discussion about this feature can be found here: Blu-ray and MKV 3D support [Under Development]

~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: NEW: 3D Blu-ray and MKV 3D support
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 05:34:03 am »

Notes
  • On NVIDIA GPUs, make sure to install the 3D Vision driver during the driver installation. No further setup of the 3D Vision features is required, only the driver needs to be installed.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 11:02:06 am »

~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 01:27:55 pm »

For anyone who may not know, Hendrik (as nevcairiel) is the author of LAV Filters, and madshi is the author of madVR.  LAV and madVR are an essential part of MC video's Red October HQ.

Congratulations and thanks to both.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 03:26:30 pm »

I have a couple of questions:

I have a lot of 3D BD movies where I ripped one 2D version and one 3D version (two disks come with the BD). Then I use the file extension "mkv" for the 2D and  "mk3d" for the 3D to keep them separated in my Theater View listings.

1) I was planning to have the mk3d format trigger an external program for playback but now I won't need to do this. Do I still need to use the mk3d extensions with the new LAV/madVR versions? Does it matter?

2) I have a couple of 3D movies where the 2D and 3D versions are on the same disk. Do I need to make two separates rips (one 2D and one 3D), or is only file is needed for both formats, and if one file is okay how do I tell MC which type (2D or 3D) I want to watch?

3) You say only "unmodified" 3D Blu-rays or MKV files will work. What is meant by unmodified (is a "movie only" rip still unmodified)?

Thanks for your great work!

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 03:58:57 pm »

1) I was planning to have the mk3d format trigger an external program for playback. Do I still need to use the mk3d extensions with the new LAV/madVR versions? Does it matter?

The extension makes no difference, although using mk3d will also tag that as such in the File Type column, which might allow categorization in MC.

2) I have a couple of 3D movies where the 2D and 3D versions are on the same disk. Do I need to make two separates rips (one 2D and one 3D), or is only file is needed for both formats, and if one file is okay how do I tell MC which type (2D or 3D) I want to watch?

At the moment you can't tell MC this, other than switching the global Enable 3D option in the Video settings. Still thinking about this.
In theory its fine though, you can just ignore the 3D parts during playback, but as said, not possible other than the global option right now.

3) You say only "unmodified" 3D Blu-rays or MKV files will work. What is meant by unmodified?

Well anything re-encoded or otherwise destructively modified will not work. Anything you can produce with MakeMKV should work, as long as you include the 3D parts in the rip, other MKV editing or muxing tools might not work.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

thorsten

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 04:16:21 pm »

For anyone who may not know, Hendrik (as nevcairiel) is the author of LAV Filters, and madshi is the author of madVR.  LAV and madVR are an essential part of MC video's Red October HQ.

Congratulations and thanks to both.

I also like to say thank you thank you for the great work! Awesome!  ;D ;D ;D

Ekpen

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 05:14:57 pm »

Thanks  to our CEO, Matt, Madshi Bob, and Hendrik.
Also thanks to all the beta testers.

George

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 05:49:22 pm »

I didn't have anything to do with it.  It was a Skunk Works project. 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 05:49:21 am »

Is there a 3D test clip that anybody knows about where the 3D is super obvious?

I'm playing it at home.  I think the 3D might be engaging, but I might also just be seeing the depth from the projected image!

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

CountryBumkin

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 07:32:19 am »

I have a 3D movie called "IMAX: Under the Sea 3D" which has some outstanding 3D effects. If it is possible to cut a scene (retain the effects) and upload it to file sharing service I would be happy to do it. Otherwise, if nothing else turns up, I recommend you get the movie http://www.amazon.com/IMAX-Under-Single-Disc-Blu-ray-Combo/dp/B00447G2O8

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2016, 07:37:41 am »

I have a 3D movie called "IMAX: Under the Sea 3D" which has some outstanding 3D effects. If it is possible to cut a scene (retain the effects) and upload it to file sharing service I would be happy to do it. Otherwise, if nothing else turns up, I recommend you get the movie http://www.amazon.com/IMAX-Under-Single-Disc-Blu-ray-Combo/dp/B00447G2O8

Well I have Avatar in 3D which probably has a lot of good 3D as well.

I'm just not positive as I'm watching if I'm seeing 3D or just seeing the depth that's in the projected image (since that's kind of big right in front of me).

Thanks.

greynolds

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2016, 09:17:29 am »

I've ripped all of my Blurays (both 2D and 3D) with AnyDVD HD to BDMV folder structures as this allows me to play them in both JRiver and on my Oppo Bluray players (with full menus on the Oppo's).  Should I expect my ripped 3D movies to play in 3D with this new feature or do I need to re-rip them to another format (such as MKV)?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2016, 09:34:42 am »

I've ripped all of my Blurays (both 2D and 3D) with AnyDVD HD to BDMV folder structures as this allows me to play them in both JRiver and on my Oppo Bluray players (with full menus on the Oppo's).  Should I expect my ripped 3D movies to play in 3D with this new feature or do I need to re-rip them to another format (such as MKV)?

This should work as long as its just a plain 1:1 rip and the 3D information is preserved.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

greynolds

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2016, 09:40:25 am »

This should work as long as its just a plain 1:1 rip and the 3D information is preserved.
Excellent, I'll need to give this a try.  Nice work on this!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2016, 10:18:38 am »

I downloaded three sample videos today.

One plays great and the 3D is alive!  That's awesome.

The other two play in side-by-side mode.

Is there any way to tell Media Center to engage the 3D logic on those files so the side-by-side switches to normal (but 3D) display?

Thanks.

Ekpen

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2016, 10:51:16 am »

I didn't have anything to do with it.  It was a Skunk Works project. 
You are pulling my feet again, <grin> I hope one day, it will be available for linux.
Thanks, thanks thanks.
George

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2016, 10:56:06 am »

Is there any way to tell Media Center to engage the 3D logic on those files so the side-by-side switches to normal (but 3D) display?

No, you would need to switch your TV/Projector into SBS mode manually. Maybe later, but only if the file is properly tagged as SBS in metadata - which likely no files you get from the Internet actually are.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2016, 12:39:45 pm »

3D is working great on my laptop. I thought it might be under powered but apparently not.
It has 3000 JR Benchmark and NVIDEA 540M.
Thanks a lot.

Ton

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2016, 08:18:39 pm »

I already asked this in the main forum, but JimH asked me to post it here. I have to add however that my 1st question is not about 3D.

Although I am a long time user of MC (17 and 18) I didn't upgrade until today. Today I did, particularly because the latest build of MC 21 supports (3D) blu-ray playback. Until now I used TMT for blu-ray's including 3D ones.

I am still a bit confused about how to use MC for blu-ray's however, which I have on my pc in folder structure and iso's and have the following questions:

1) Do I understand it correctly that, to start playback from blu-ray folders, I HAVE to import them in the library ?
2) I configured MC 21 for 3D playback according to the instructions found here. When I start a 3D blu-ray (a full  3D) it starts however in SBS mode. Am I doing somehing wrong ?

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2016, 10:35:45 pm »

Tried this for the first time today.

My 3D movies start playing in SBS mode, and MadVR doesn't seem to kick the display card into stereo 3D mode. If I manually enable stereoscopic 3D in the nVidia control panel, the TV identifies playback as 3D, but the picture is still SBS.

I am using a GTS450, but can soon upgrade to a GTX960 is that will help?

I'll also try it on my other HTPC connected to my 3D projector.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2016, 03:26:06 am »

1) Do I understand it correctly that, to start playback from blu-ray folders, I HAVE to import them in the library ?

I don't think that should necessarily be required, no.

2) I configured MC 21 for 3D playback according to the instructions found here. When I start a 3D blu-ray (a full  3D) it starts however in SBS mode. Am I doing somehing wrong ?
My 3D movies start playing in SBS mode, and MadVR doesn't seem to kick the display card into stereo 3D mode. If I manually enable stereoscopic 3D in the nVidia control panel, the TV identifies playback as 3D, but the picture is still SBS.

If you configured the 3D format in madVR as "auto", and you still get SBS, then it doesn't recognize your TV/Projector as 3D capable.
See the additional requirements for HDMI 3D frame-packed in the first post in this thread. In particular, if Windows doesn't see your display as 3D capable, then neither will MC/madVR.

Specifically, Windows needs to show this checkbox, which means it recognizes it as 3D:

And as outlined in the requirements above, this only works on Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, and with a full HDMI 1.4 chain, ie. GPU, Receiver (if any), and TV.
On NVIDIA GPUs, you might need to install the 3D vision components. I'm not sure if we ever came to a clear conclusion if they are required to be installed, but I just always install them anyway since they come with the driver, so.. (you don't need to setup 3D vision in the nvidia control panel though)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2016, 07:59:33 am »

Thanks for the additional/repeat information, Hendrik.

I was able to get 3d mode kicking in on the TV, but video from MC still came up as SBS. I'll go back and read each step carefully.

WeeHappyPixie

• Galactic Citizen
  • Gonnae no dae that..
Re:
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2016, 10:59:56 am »

Thanks guys for the excellent work. Is it possible to swap the eye view. Most of my 3D discs are left right however the Hobbit is right left.

Also, the 3D at the start and end of the Despicable Me movies is fab. Really pops out of the screen.

John

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re:
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2016, 11:09:39 am »

Thanks guys for the excellent work. Is it possible to swap the eye view. Most of my 3D discs are left right however the Hobbit is right left.

madVR has an option to swap it on the device properties page, just need to remember to unswap it after.
If you play straight from the Blu-ray, it should automatically use the correct eye-order however, for ripped MKVs, you would need to re-rip with a future MakeMKV version or set this metadata manually in the file.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

WeeHappyPixie

• Galactic Citizen
  • Gonnae no dae that..
Re:
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2016, 12:35:09 pm »

Thanks Hendrik. Any chance of an mcc command in future so I can assign it to a button on ma remote.

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re:
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2016, 12:50:43 pm »

Thanks Hendrik. Any chance of an mcc command in future so I can assign it to a button on ma remote.

Not likely. Its a madVR setting, not a MC setting.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Ton

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2016, 02:15:47 pm »

Hendrik, thanks for your reply (#22) to my reply #20.

My NVidia Geforce GTX460 is connected with HDMI to my TV via my AVR and my display shows with the name of my AVR in NVidia Control Panel. The AVR is not 3D however
I don't see the "Enable Stereoscopic 3D...." checkbox, but even not when I connect the GPU directly to my TV which is 3D for sure. I installed the 3D vision components btw.

I assume that the main problem is that my AVR is not 3D ?

However when I play a 3D blu-ray with TMT (what I did until my upgrade to MC21) with my setup I get full 3D.
Does this mean that I cannot get full 3D with MC and that I will have to continue using TMT for that purpose ? Or is there a workaround ?

I have another question btw, about configuring madVR. Under devices I see of course also my AVR (Yamaha RX-V863) and I have checked "Receiver" as device type. After doing so I also see  "display connected to Yamaha RX-V863" under devices and when I click on that I see device name with the same name. But what should I check there for device type, Receiver or Digital Monitor/TV ?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2016, 02:54:24 pm »

Most proprietary 3D players use vendor-specific APIs to output 3D, which works quite differently and has different requirements, so unfortunately PowerDVD or TMT working isn't really much of a sign of anything, Sorry! :(
madVR uses Direct3D 11.1 for 3D output, a vendor-agnostic API, and therefor only one instead of three different ones, which has some stricter requirements, like using Windows 8.1/10, and proper display driver support.

It is a possibility that the 400-series NVIDIA cards are too old, I don't know.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Ton

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2016, 03:16:47 pm »

O.K. I will keep using TMT then for the occasional 3D playback.

But what about my question about the configuration of madVR. Could you answer that ? Thanks in advance.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2016, 04:39:22 pm »

"display connected to Yamaha RX-V863" should be rather clear, shouldn't it? Thats your TV of course, so set it to the type of the display.

Please keep this thread to 3D related discussion, however.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Ton

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2016, 08:56:38 pm »

"display connected to Yamaha RX-V863" should be rather clear, shouldn't it?

Sorry, I was a bit confused. Probably not awake enough. Now that I look at again it is very clear.

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2016, 05:57:05 am »

All good with this release for me.  I've both a Plasma 3D TV and and 3D PJ.  FYI - Unfortunately my TV using RF and my PJ IR for the 3D glasses so I purchased some "universal" glasses of e-bay that would do both, and why the work... they are ordinary.  Hard to get them to initially sync and I get ghosting where the originals glasses look great.  You get what you pay for I guess.
I'm not a python at JRiver - just another Aussie

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2016, 02:10:28 pm »

I am glad to report that this weekend 3D worked on first try.  Windows 10 on an i5, ATI HD7700 driving an Optoma HD25e projector.
- ran full updates on Windows 10
- installed latest ATI Crimson drivers
- made sure Stereoscopic 3D option in the system Display Settings dialog was on
- installed JR 21.65
- followed instructions on first post.

No hiccups, no drama, it just worked  :)
I can finally retire Stereoscopic Player, JRiver is truly my one stop shop !

The last piece of the puzzle for me would be to have the player overlay correctly displayed when I put the TV/PJ in SBS or OU mode...
As I don't think the embedded metadata of those files (SBS/OU) is reliable, if present at all, maybe a new library tag could be introduced ?
For example, when a file with tag [3D Info]="3D SBS" is currently playing, the JR player overlay could be shown in SBS ?

This would be icing on the cake  ;D

greynolds

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2016, 05:42:12 pm »

I can confirm that 3D Bluray's ripped to BDMV folder structures with AnyDVD HD will play back properly in 3D with this new feature.  The only one I've tried so far is my 3D copy of Avatar.

I'm having a problem though where either JRiver or the PC gets stuck in 3D mode after playing a 3D movie.  The only way I seem to be able to get out of 3D mode is to switch the JRiver video mode away from red october HQ and then back.

audunth

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2016, 02:13:07 pm »

Does recent Nvidia gards still require I purchase the additional 3DTV Play software to make this work? I'm getting a new graphics card, and the Nvidia GTX 900 seriea cards seem better than the equivalent AMD cards with regards to noise (fans don't spin up at all during HTPC use) and price/performance. If I need to get the 3DTV Play software, I'll have to add $40 to all Nvidia card prices when I compare...
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2016, 02:22:03 pm »

Does recent Nvidia gards still require I purchase the additional 3DTV Play software to make this work? I'm getting a new graphics card, and the Nvidia GTX 900 seriea cards seem better than the equivalent AMD cards with regards to noise (fans don't spin up at all during HTPC use) and price/performance. If I need to get the 3DTV Play software, I'll have to add $40 to all Nvidia card prices when I compare...

No extra software is required.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

audunth

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2016, 02:53:52 pm »

Okay, just to make sure...in this forum thread over at the Nvidia forums a Nvidia representative says that the 3DTV Play software has to be installed to activate 3D support for Nvidia cards. So has this changed since the thread was posted in 2013 then? Can anyone who's running a Nvidia card confirm that this works without 3DTV Play installed?

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/555242/3d-vision/3dtv-play-what-exactly-are-the-facts-/2/
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2016, 03:25:10 pm »

I have a nVidia Card and it is not needed with the method that MC uses (but is needed for the method that stereoscopic was using).

audunth

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2016, 03:28:25 pm »

Thanks!
Cheers,
Audun

My system:

Ekpen

« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2016, 07:30:21 pm »

All good with this release for me.  I've both a Plasma 3D TV and and 3D PJ.  FYI - Unfortunately my TV using RF and my PJ IR for the 3D glasses so I purchased some "universal" glasses of e-bay that would do both, and why the work... they are ordinary.  Hard to get them to initially sync and I get ghosting where the originals glasses look great.  You get what you pay for I guess.

Greetings:

If you have multiple displays with IR/RF, you will need Xpand x104 glasses, then a dongle with USB port will attach this to the X104. I just got 8 of these dongles in, now I can use the RF in them to connect to my Sony XBR75X850C, hopefully it will connect to the Samsung JU65 7100 2015 tvs.
The Xpand web site is down now, I got e-mail from VP of marketing, the site will be up by Monday, then this will allow me to update to the 2015 displays.
I will keep you posted.
I have the e-mail address if you are interested in buying the $40.00 dongles to mate with the X104 "Youniversal".
The X104 is also very sturdy, not easily breakable, it is also rechargeable.
In the past, i or we have broken many 3D glasses stems , now we settle for a very reliable well built make.

George

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2016, 12:31:40 am »

Thanks George, I'll have a read when their site is back up next week.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2016, 09:28:29 am »

Specifically, Windows needs to show this checkbox, which means it recognizes it as 3D:

And as outlined in the requirements above, this only works on Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, and with a full HDMI 1.4 chain, ie. GPU, Receiver (if any), and TV.
On NVIDIA GPUs, you might need to install the 3D vision components. I'm not sure if we ever came to a clear conclusion if they are required to be installed, but I just always install them anyway since they come with the driver, so.. (you don't need to setup 3D vision in the nvidia control panel though)

I don't have the option shown above, so there must be some other NVidia component I need. I have the GTX750Ti on Win10 x64 (latest NVidia drivers).
I'll check the NVidia site for the 3D Vision components. Would these normally download with the driver update - or does one always need to manually download it?

I can get 3D to play from a ripped BD (movie only) to mkv, but it shows as a SBS and then I have to use my TV's (Samsung PDP64F8500) remote to switch 3D on and select SBS, and again turn off SBS when it the movie is over. BTW my TV "3D options" only lists "OFF, SBS, O/U, and 2Dto3D". There is no "framepacked" selection. Also, when I play a physical 3D movie from my BD player, the TV does recognize it and switches to the 3D mode correctly, so I suppose I still have something wrong with my HTPC settings.

UPDATE: I checked NVidia site and "3D Vision" drivers are not available for Win10, also the "3DTV Play" software Jmone mentioned has to be bought (so that's out). I'll keep looking/testing.

Hilton

« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2016, 09:57:30 am »

I don't have the option shown above, so there must be some other NVidia component I need. I have the GTX750Ti on Win10 x64 (latest NVidia drivers).
I'll check the NVidia site for the 3D Vision components. Would these normally download with the driver update - or does one always need to manually download it?

I can get 3D to play from a ripped BD (movie only) to mkv, but it shows as a SBS and then I have to use my TV's (Samsung PDP64F8500) remote to switch 3D on and select SBS, and again turn off SBS when it the movie is over. BTW my TV "3D options" only lists "OFF, SBS, O/U, and 2Dto3D". There is no "framepacked" selection. Also, when I play a physical 3D movie from my BD player, the TV does recognize it and switches to the 3D mode correctly, so I suppose I still have something wrong with my HTPC settings.

UPDATE: I checked NVidia site and "3D Vision" drivers are not available for Win10, also the "3DTV Play" software Jmone mentioned has to be bought (so that's out). I'll keep looking/testing.

Your TV is not detected as 3D capable so that's why you don't see the option.  That TV definitely supports frame packed 3D.  Have you connected the TV through a receiver that also supports HDMI 1.4A 3D frame packing?  If its an older receiver it wont support frame packing, or it may hide the fact your TV can do 3D. HDMI should handshake and share the 3D capability information from your TV to the AVR through to your video card, but sometimes they don't report correctly. You could maybe force a new EDID with a new monitor driver or find a setting to do with HDMI in the TV or AVR that will allow 2way communication.

Assuming you have an AVR in the chain...... if so you could also try connecting the tv directly to the video card to confirm if your TV is detected properly.  If its not that, its probably just bad EDID info from the TV.

That's about all I can come  up with as a suggestion.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2016, 10:29:18 am »

Thanks for your suggestions. The AVR is a 2016 Denon AVR-X4200W (which is 2.0 HDMI and 2.2 HDCP). Just bought and hooked it up this weekend.
I'll try a direct connection and see if that helps.

UPDATE: I downloaded and installed the latest NVidia drivers. During the install it said I did not have 3D Vision installed. This time I made sure it was installed. Now I have 3D working! Sort of.
I still need to test it but at least I'm a step closer.

All the mkv BD 3D movie rips start as Side-by-Side so I have to grab the TV remote and manually switch to SBS. I'm going to try to rip a 3d BD to "folder" and see if that plays as a framepacked. I'll report back on whether or not this works.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2016, 09:38:32 am »

I have this working pretty good now.
Here's what I did in madVR setup.

madVR settings:
1) In Display Properties>3D format: Auto.
2) In Rendering>General Settings: enable Windows Overlay. (do not use Full screen Exclusive)
3) In Rendering>Stereo 3d: enable stereo 3d playback. Check "when playing 2d content: enable os...". Check "when playing 3d content: enable os...". Ckeck "restore os stereo on 3d when player closed".

I am not starting playback in SBS now. Seems to jump right to full screen 3D. I've only messed with (tested) this for a couple of hours, so there may be some unknown issues - but so far it looks/works great.

UPDATE: JRiver should update the Wiki here https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Blu-ray so Users will know 3D works!

Ekpen

« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2016, 10:57:48 pm »

Thanks George, I'll have a read when their site is back up next week.

Xpand X104LX1 and the RF/BT dongle in use here.
Have you updated the driver for your xpand?
David sent me a zipped update, installed and now I can update my pairs.

I noticed that most of my ripped mkv 3Ds.. more than 70 BDs just failed to load. I have had hard drive failures/corruption in the past.
I just finished re-ripping  them today, and I must report that every one loads well with no problem.

Since I have many Xpand pairs, I tried setting 3 profiles, one for Sony, one for Panasonic and general profile for any TV with RF protocol.
The Sony profile, I will test tomorrow, but the Panasonic profile worked very well with the Sony tv.

Also my 2011 Mitsubishi, tested with the Samsung/Mitsu profile, I was not able to get the Mitsu to connect, same with the Samsung 2015 4k/3D tv.
So far, only the Sony Mbr x 75 850c tv connects easily.

My only problem with the connected Sony tv is that I see pixel on the screen, screen buffers a lot. It looks like the screen is tearing, maybe due to the fact that we do not have hardware acceleration yet.

Testing will continue for another day or two.
If you need the new driver, send me a PM, I will find a way to FA to you. It is only 3meg+ in size.
Thanks.
George

rec head

« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2016, 11:07:31 am »

Yesterday I upgraded to Win 10 so that I could try 3D in MC. The hardest part of the ordeal was getting enough space on my 60G C: drive. I did need to reinstall MC. After that was done I followed the directions at the top of the thread and it worked! I am using an Nvidia 750ti and didn't need to install anything extra. I think I did need to enable 3D in the Nvidia settings... can't remember now.

Overall it was easy. I'm really happy this is working. Thanks team.

jachin99

« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2016, 10:51:35 am »

From this threat: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=104466.0

Some users are having issues with TVs and projectors not restoring refresh rates after quitting a 3d Movie.  One user had a JVC projector, and I have a Mitsubishi DLP.  My desktop stays at 23 hz when it is supposed to go back to 60, and my overscan adjustments get rest when I use 3D in JRiver.

greynolds

« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2016, 11:07:32 am »

From this threat: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=104466.0

Some users are having issues with TVs and projectors not restoring refresh rates after quitting a 3d Movie.  One user had a JVC projector, and I have a Mitsubishi DLP.  My desktop stays at 23 hz when it is supposed to go back to 60, and my overscan adjustments get rest when I use 3D in JRiver.
See my post (#34) in this thread for another report of the same.  I've found that if I play 2D video, it will switch back out of 3D mode.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up