INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is Engen?  (Read 19688 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
What is Engen?
« on: May 25, 2016, 09:04:56 am »

Engen is a server.  It runs on Windows, Linux, or OSX.

Engen supports the Z-Wave protocol, which is widely used in home automation, also known as the Internet of Things (IoT).  It is a python program.

It talks directly to a Z-Wave controller, like the USB Z-Stick.  It can turn on and off switches.

It is Z-Wave only at this time.  We probably will offer it with a Raspberry Pi and an Intel NUC.  We will probably offer it with our Id products:  http://jriver.com/Id/

Engen has a REST interface, so anyone can send it commands to be executed.  Engen is a kernel that user level programs can interact with. 

Engen also can be controlled with a web browser.  You can send it a link to turn a switch on or off or to set the level or color.

OneRemote is an Android app that acts as a remote control for devices.  At this time, it can send commands to Engen to turn lights on and off.  OneRemote can have a custom structure, buttons, and backgrounds.   

[Edit by JimH -- you can also use Panel to control lighting.  It runs on any HTML5 enabled browser.

JimH

• Administrator
Re: What is Engen? What is OneRemote?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 02:43:09 pm »

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 06:42:49 pm »

Not to be confused with http://www.engen.co.za nor http://www.engenoil.com (Engen Petroleum Ltd)

At first it reminded me of Jurassic Park, but that was InGen :)

All makes me feel very old indeed.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 06:49:19 pm »

We registered ours in 1994.  Engen Oil registered theirs in 1997.  I don't feel sorry for them.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 10:24:47 pm »

:D

My mum has a camera in her house that she uses to keep an eye on her pets, from her phone, when she's out. You know what I mean? She launches something on her phone, it connects to the camera and she can check on the pets. Is that an "IoT" thing?

Could it end up covering just about anything manufacturers can dream up?
I'm thinking, press a button on the phone to open the front door, so that when you rock up on the doorstep laden with stuff, you just walk right on in, or, perhaps you're already in, but worried you might miss a goal when you go to the door to let your mates in, that you just press a button, and bingo, in they come, with beer, of course :)

I think it might be all getting a bit too much for me. I imagine my kids trying to manage me remotely when I'm old(er) and decrepit(er)...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 06:30:27 am »

That's it.  That stuff is real now.  It's just awkward to manage, in my opinion.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 03:22:06 am »

Engen is in beta now. 

Engen is also included with the Id.  Past purchasers of the Id can get it by updating.

badger

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re: What is Engen?
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 09:35:45 am »

I purchased an IdPi and I understand it has the Engen software.  Don't know much about it, but I'm curious now that its there.  How do I get started with Engen.  I see no commands or menu options related to it on the IdPi main menu or the MC GUI.  Thanks.

badger

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 09:38:21 am »

OK.. I typed before I read (my bad).  Looks like I have to buy a z-stick.  I assume if I plug a z-stick into the IdPi and reboot it will instruct me from there.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 10:19:46 am »

You need a Z Stick and some Z-Wave device(s) to control.

If Engen is running, you can connect to it with a browser on any device.  Here's an example of what you would enter, but using your own IP address:

http://192.168.0.33:52199   takes you to Panel
or
http://192.168.0.33:52125   goes direct to lighting (Engen)

mrpro

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 10:52:33 am »

Where would I find the Linux version?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017, 02:07:47 pm »

It's available as part of the IdPi.  It's shipped on a mSD card and plugs into a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B.  It's $40.

Would that work?

mrpro

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 02:08:58 pm »

It's available as part of the IdPi.  It's shipped on a mSD card and plugs into a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B.  It's $40.

Would that work?

Although I do run JRiver on my Raspberry, (master license) my main interest is in using it on Ubuntu 16.04 since that is what my main Home Theater system runs on. I bought the Samsung Smart Things hub and a few devices based on the fact that I have read that it is compatible with Linux, only to find Samsung doesn't support Linux or Windows even though they advertise they do.

Since I had read on the jriver board that Engen runs on Linux, I was hoping to replace my obsolete X10 system with Z wave, and was especially interested in integrating it with JRiver in Linux.

I would be willing to pay what is required to get the Linux version or to buy the SD card if it includes a Linux installable program. Using it on the Pi doesn't help me since I use that device strictly as a car player, and it has no Internet connectivity.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2017, 02:42:35 pm »

We'll get you going one way or the other.  The IdPi is the easiest, even if you have to buy another Pi.  It serves the same purpose as the SmartThings hub.  Is there a reason not to do that?  Once it's running, you'll forget it's there.

Hilton

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2017, 09:07:06 pm »

Hi Jim

It might be good to provide an overview of the different elements of the JRiver automation toolset. Just a brief paragraph on each and how they interact with each other and devices.

I tried to find something to show a work colleague who's very interested in automation and couldn't find anything searching the forums that pulls this together.

From my understanding you have: (can you confirm this is right as a start?)

Engen as the core server interface to z-Wave
Panel as a web based interface to control devices
OneRemote the Android companion app
MC23 Theatre View "Lights" (Automation) to perform activities based on scenes

Does that sum it up?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2017, 06:48:50 am »

I tried to find something to show a work colleague who's very interested in automation and couldn't find anything searching the forums that pulls this together.
You're right.  We could do a better job of describing it.
From my understanding you have: (can you confirm this is right as a start?)

Engen as the core server interface to z-Wave
That's correct.  The server is described here:
http://engen.com/
It's a Z-Wave Controller, which is often called a Z-Wave hub.

The best implementation is probably the one on the IdPi.
Panel as a web based interface to control devices
Panel is the menu that contains the webapp we currently call Lighting (needs a more comprehensive name now since it does much more than lighting).  It loads from Engen.

OneRemote the Android companion app
OneRemote is on hold for now.  It's not needed.
MC23 Theatre View "Lights" (Automation) to perform activities based on scenes
That's a demonstration of how the technology can be integrated with Media Center.  We're working on another to control power to devices like a receiver and TV and control them so that what you need turns on when you press play.  Media Center also has scheduling support for it.

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2017, 07:48:55 am »

Any plans for further Engen development? It's been quiet on this board for a few months.

greynolds

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2017, 06:13:51 am »

Taking a quick look at things, IMHO the marketing side of the equation may be the biggest reason this hasn't turned into something bigger, very similar to why the TV CableCard DRM Kickstarter project gained so little traction.  I suspect the DRM project wouldn't have collected enough funding either way, but I suspect there were quite a few more interested people in the WMC community who had no idea there was a Kickstarter project for it.

The Engen website doesn't have much on it and doesn't have the professional, polished look that's needed for people to take it seriously.  The front page mentions a companion Android app, but there's no mention of iOS until you click the OneRemote link.  The iOS omission alone on the front page could be enough to turn away quite a few potential users as they may just figure there's no iOS app so they're out.  The screenshots on the OneRemote page also don't help matters - rather than cryptic names for things (I'm a developer, so I get it, but a lot of users will be turned off by that), such as 20160608_ORsave, examples should use friendlier names.

So you need to get the word out.  I'm a long time MC user, but barely really know what Engen is about.  It probably isn't something I would use anyway because I use a Crestron control system in my home, but you need to get the word out if you want people to flock to it.  Contact the guys at Engadget, MissingRemote, and other similar news outlets to get an article posted about Engen.  But polish the web site up first.  I know you guys are a fairly small company and probably have a skill set that's a lot more heavy on the technical than marketing side, but projects like this really need someone who can wear a marketing hat to promote the project.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2017, 04:04:00 pm »

Thanks.  I updated the page.

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2017, 08:13:51 am »

Thanks.  I updated the page.
Do you see any more room for improvement on the website? :)

The top competitor in the Z-Wave controller space is probably Vera and Samsung SmartThings:

http://getvera.com

https://www.samsung.com/us/explore/connect/

It seems like you have a comparable if not more robust product at this point.

Right now only the gadget-philes on Interact really know about Engen.

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2017, 08:14:53 am »

Have you contacted the people at www.z-wave.com? They have a website which aggregates z-wave devices and controllers. I use it as a go-to resource  for hardware review. They should know about EnGen.

http://www.z-wave.com/smart-home-DIY-resources

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2017, 09:00:20 am »

On the other hand, you may be right in the intuition that if it didn't catch on on Interact, it's not a good sign for the broader world of software sales.

Thank you for the development so far, as another post said I think it has been among the most interesting and innovative software developments at JRiver.

My system works flawlessly, let me know if a post breaking it down would be helpful on the forum.
Pages: [1]   Go Up