INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting Started with Z-Wave  (Read 5682 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Getting Started with Z-Wave
« on: July 30, 2016, 09:09:26 am »

Hardware
You will need a Z-Wave Controller.  This is usually a USB stick like the Z-Stick.  It should work on Windows, Linux, or OSX.  They cost around $50.

You can plug it in any computer, but since it is on 24 hours a day, it would be nice to have a lower power computer like an Intel NUC or a Raspberry Pi.

We offer these computers.  Contact sales at jriver for more information.

Europe is not North America
The radios are slightly different, so you need a controller and devices that use the same system.  This usually means buying from a company in your part of the world.

Software
The software that talks to the Controller turns the computer into a Gateway.  Our software is Engen

Download from a thread near the top of this board and install it.  Make sure the Z-Stick (or equivalent) is plugged into the computer you're installing on.

Then run the software.  If it finds the Z-Stick, you're ready to start pairing.

Devices
They must support Z-Wave.  They must be made for your region.  Amazon is a good source.  We try to support everything they sell.  Expect about $40 to $50 per device at this time.

Pairing
The devices you use must be aware of the controller and vice versa.   This usually means removing the Z-Stick from the computer, pushing the button that puts it in learning mode, then pushing a button on your device.  Sometimes just plugging the device in puts it in a pairing mode for a while.

On the Z-Stick, a successful pairing is indicated by a couple seconds of very fast blinking (multiple times per second).  This is easily missed.

When finished, you just plug the Z-Stick back into the computer.  This automatically terminates the learning mode.

Up and Running
You're ready to switch something on.  In a browser on any computer, tablet or phone, enter this URL, replacing [IP Address] with that of the computer which hosts the Z-Stick.

[IP Address]:52199  (to open Panel)
[IP Address]:52125  (to open the Lighting menu)

Example:  192.168.0.12:52125

If you have trouble, test these in a browser on the computer which hosts the Z-Stick:
localhost:52199  (opens Panel)
localhost:52125  (opens Lighting)

This is talking to the web server which is built into Engen.  With it, you can control the whole system.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Getting Started with Z-Wave
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 09:13:08 am »

Costs
For a basic system with two switches:  $175 plus the computer

For a ten switch system:  $575

Time Needed
To get the first light switch working    One hour
To get the next ones going                 Five minutes each

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
Re: Getting Started with Z-Wave
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 11:50:11 am »

Thanks for this simple guide, Jim. I shall be getting into all this very soon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up