INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Guide: Chapterfy (Particlise Anything - aka Manage Music Videos Like CDs)  (Read 42156 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!

Last Updated: 15 Aug 2016

Background:  MC Lets you manually create Particles that can include a Playback Range for a chapter / part of a file for playback.  There are several issues limitations to the current approach:
- Time Consuming to Create (as you have to manually find and enter the Names and Playback range for each particle)
- Can not be saved as sidecar files (so can not recreate or move between libraries)

ChapterDB is an online data base with 100,000+ user created chapter files for Blu-ray, DVD, and other files.  ChapterDB lets you search for and download a Chapters file (in either a TXT or XML format).  This script is based on the TXT format that looks like:
Code: [Select]
CHAPTER01=00:00:00.000
CHAPTER01NAME=A New World
CHAPTER02=00:06:17.960
CHAPTER02NAME=You are not in Kansas anymore

What Chapterfy does:  It creates MC Particles for each chapter of a file with Chapter Names and Start/Stop Times.
- It will only run in Windows and is GUI based
- It needs no install
- When you first run Chapterfy it will create a .ini file (MCWS logon details) and add "Sent To" shortcuts in MC for many commands.  You may need to run it "As Administrator" this first time.
- You can then either use one of the "Right Click --> Send To --> Send To (external) --> Chapterfy" command short cuts or run the EXE directy (or if you have AHK Installed the AHK script)

The particles created will have all the same meta data as the original file but the script will populate the following MC Fields:
- Playback Range with "Start"-"End" timecodes
- Name will be the "ChatperName"
- Track # will be the order of the Chapters in the File

Notes, Limitations, Future Stuff: 
- If creating a sidecar chapters file from existing particles make sure they are shown in the correct order in MC
- I'm hoping that one day MC will support chapter side car files for displaying chapter names in the MC Menu during playback (instead of Chatper 1, 2 etc) but that is up to JR
- There is a bug in MC : Incorrect Filename on Create Particles (sometime)

Other Options: 
My inspiration is MrC's much more advanced MCUtils Based Script - Guide: Generate Chapter Based Blu-ray Particles (aka Rip Music BDs Like CDs)
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: Guide: Chapterise / Particlise Anything
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 07:46:47 am »

Examples:  Chapterfy has the following options:

Auto : This feature only works on Blu-ray Playlists.  You would normally:
1 - need to create the BD Title Particle(s) - in MC, Select your BD --> Right Click --> Stacks --> Advance --> Auto Create BD/DVD Title Particles.  
2 - check what which BD Title Particle you want to Chatperfy as MC will create a Particle for each "Title" on the BD.  Just play the newly created Title Particles to find the main one with all the chapters listed (it will typically be the one with the longest playback time).  
3 - Once you have selected the desired a MPLS (BD Chapter Particle) in MC, Chapterfy will attempt to Automatically Look up a match at ChatperDB.  If that fails it will attempt to read the chapter times from the MPLS option below

ReadMPLS : This feature only works on Blu-ray Playlists.  I've written a MPLS parser to grab the Chapter # and Times directly from the MPLS.  You will not get any names (as they are not contained in the MPLS itself).

ReadChapterFile : This feature works on any File Type.  Load a chapters (txt not xml) file if you already have it and have it applied to ANY single file selected in MC.

ChapterDB : This feature works on any File Type.  Enter the ChapterDB # to auto get the chapter file from the www.chapterdb.org website and have it applied to ANY single file selected in MC

Manual : This feature works on any File Type.  Edit your own chapter (txt not xml) file based on the number of chapters you want and have it applied to ANY single file selected in MC.

CreateChapterFile :  This feature works on any File Type.  Create a sidecar chapters (txt not xml) file for the existing particles you have selected in MC regardless of filetype.

Bulk :  This feature works on any File Type.  Creates a # of Particles based on the file or files selected in MC.

Attached is a screenshot of ChapterDB, and a video from an older version of Chapterfy a Video showing the Chapterisation of a MKV File.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 07:52:48 am »

..as always let me know of any bugs, missing bits etc
Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 10:21:47 am »

Thanks for doing this. I just tried it. I must be doing something wrong because I am getting an error.

Steps:
Downloaded script and extracted.
Changed IP address in MC_Chapterise_Setup.txt and saved file.
Selected Blu-ray Concert in JRiver.
Ran MC_Chapterise.exe
Opened txt file already created by ChaptersDb.
Closed Notepad.
Error message.

I also tried with using the ChapterdB # and it got the chapters and loaded into Notepad, but failed after closing Notepad.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 10:44:39 am »

How are you viewing your Blu-ray concerts in JRiver? Do you use Season and Series tags or do you use the Track tack or . . .?

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 11:30:03 am »

When are you adding an American English translation option to the MC_Chapterise_Setup.txt file.  :P As a programmer, you now get to hear my demands suggestions.

It’s time to recognize and internalize the US suffix ‘ize’

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2015, 03:41:57 pm »

Woops - wrong type file type for the user settings and as a result the EXE had the template values hardcoded in (but the AHK should have worked).  Updated in the OP Try now - you need to edit the attached INI file.
Thanks
Nathan

PS - I'll check out the spelling stuff  ;)
JRiver CEO Elect

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2015, 04:16:23 pm »

Thanks for the quick change. I've almost got it.

1.  Chapterise will now created the same number of Particles as chapters. However, none of the Particles have a Playback Range or a chapter name.
2.  If I delete the Particles (created by Chapterise) for a Blu-ray, I don't seem to be able to recreate them with Chapterise. I have unchecked "Ignore files previously removed from library" in Library and Folders settings, but that doesn't help.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2015, 04:21:50 pm »

At least it connects! What option are you using and can you post a chapter file?
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2015, 04:22:03 pm »

In the nameification department ...

Is it a "Particle Splitter"?

Accelerators make make particles from collisions.

Chapterfy?

I never thought we'd be in the business of inventing words.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2015, 04:42:50 pm »

jmone

Go to the top of the class. You're filling a gap that I've struggled with myself. I use .mkv by default because chapters are so easy to deal with using that format and chapterdb. Tried particles a couple of times. Got too hard. Voiced my concerns and offered suggestions to fall in with the approach offered by chapters.

Looking forward to see how your proof of concept works out.

Nice one.

Regarding naming, if this is a cue:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accelerators_in_particle_physics
names ending in -tron are a common theme.

How about the jmone-atron?
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2015, 05:02:02 pm »

At least it connects! What option are you using and can you post a chapter file?
I tried both the txt file and chapter # entry method.

Here is a chapter file:  http://chapterdb.org/browse/99604

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2015, 05:05:24 pm »

Here is a screen shot. I meant to have only one file selected. Anyway, all the Metallica files have the same name.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2015, 05:34:41 pm »

Here is what it looks like for me and the process (see pic):
1) Highlighted the one track to process
2) Ran the script --> put in 99604 in the Box next to the ChapterDB Button (I need to make that box bigger) --> press "ChapterDB" Button
.... it then made the 17 chapter based particles

... and it then made all the particles were the particles created will have all the same meta data as the original file but the script will populate
- Playback Range with "Start"-"End" timecodes
- Name will be the "ChatperName"
- Track # will be the order of the Chapters in the File

Note: I did not have this Metallica album but just processed the Winehouse one as an example
JRiver CEO Elect

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2015, 06:26:25 pm »

I figured since you had an option for user name and password that you probably use Authentication. I turned on Media Network > Authentication and it worked!

Chickens are headed your way! I'll see Matt next week at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest so I'll have him manually create Particles for Eagles Farewell I Tour and then I'll show him the easy way.  ;)

What method have you found best to display the Blu-rays/Particles in Theater View?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2015, 06:42:00 pm »

I've been trying for years to get Matt to Particlise that Eagles disk I sent him - so if you can do that :) we are halfway there in fixing some stuff.

Odd - I'll need to retest on my PC with Authentication Off as it worked just the same (in an earlier test)

I've created a "Music Video" view that I use both in TheaterView and StdView that is basically the same as for Audio along the lines of:
[Media Sub Type]=[Music Video] ~sort=[Track #],[Album Artist (auto)],[Album],[Disc #],[Name] or
[Media Sub Type]=[Music Video] ~sort=[Track #],[Name],[Bookmark],[Album Artist (auto)],[Album],[Disc #]
JRiver CEO Elect

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2015, 06:54:54 pm »

I Chapterized a few more Blu-rays. One of them had the first chapter with the wrong Filename tag. It was pointing directly to the bdmvindex file without the folder structure. I just cut and paste from another Particle and it worked fine.

I still can't recreate Particles from the ones I deleted earlier.

I found that one of the Adele ChapterdB entries separated the songs from the talking which is pretty cool:  http://chapterdb.org/browse/30121

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2015, 07:03:20 pm »

I Redid Adele with a number in front of the songs. Again the first chapter has an incorrect Filename.

Here is the incorrect Filename:  J:\Movies\_ \BDMV\index.bluray;1
Here is the correct Filename:  J:\Movies\Adele_ Live at the Royal Albert Hall\BDMV\index.bluray;1

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2015, 07:11:54 pm »

Yup - it is an MC bug that we have had for years and you've found the manual workaround to rename the filepath (I've added it to the OP notes and it is already in the Wiki).  It happens if you do it through MC front end as well and for me happens about 1 in 10 times. (I keep reminding Matt about it.. but feel free to nag him as well)!

Odd that you can not recreate particles deleted.  I've not seen this as in my dev, I've been creating and deleting the same set over and over again.

Yeah I've got that disk - how good is it that you can cut Adele's speaking out!
JRiver CEO Elect

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2015, 11:06:30 pm »

I figured out the issue with not finding Particles that were recreated. It also happens sometimes with new Particles generated by Chapterise. The original selected Blu-ray has all the Particles stacked with it. I just need to right click the file and go to Stacks > Unstack and then the Particles are visible in my Particles view.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2015, 11:23:51 pm »

;D  - Cause I had no idea!  FYI - Just updated the other Guide so now you have a choice!
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2015, 12:38:41 am »

Added a short Video in the Second post.
JRiver CEO Elect

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2015, 08:55:51 am »

Don't forget to update with first post.

- Instructions are in the MC_Chapterise_Setup.txt file as well - Should now be .ini file.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2015, 03:36:18 pm »

thanks - fixed  :)
JRiver CEO Elect

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2015, 09:18:40 am »

jmone, can you please created and post an Eagles txt file? The ones on ChapterdB don't have the correct info. Even the one with all the chapters gets the chapter/timestamps out of order starting at Joe's Helmet Cam. I can fix, but want to take a shortcut since I leave for RMAF tomorrow morning.

I wonder if the script can automatically add the chapter number in front of the name? I am doing mine in this format:

01 %chapter 1 name%
02 %chapter 2 name%

I've found it easier to add the numbers to the temp txt file than to later try to match which chapter goes with which name. Maybe you are already fill in the track number and I just haven't noticed yet.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2015, 03:07:19 pm »

Im away with work today so will not get to look at it for abit.  I do know there is a good chapter list on chapter db. I will post it when i can find it!
JRiver CEO Elect

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2015, 03:54:44 pm »

79756 gets off by a song at around chapter 22. I don't need it until Thursday, but don't get to it on my behalf. I already have the song I want in a playlist.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2015, 05:03:01 am »

Here it is - http://chapterdb.org/browse/114588

From memory there were a heap of "wrong" ones (as you have found).   This is one uploaded by us last year, thought the last chapter is wrong and is only a couple of seconds.  Attached is the Chapter file with out this last chapter (remove the TXT).
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2015, 05:48:27 am »

I wonder if the script can automatically add the chapter number in front of the name? I am doing mine in this format:

01 %chapter 1 name%
02 %chapter 2 name%

I've found it easier to add the numbers to the temp txt file than to later try to match which chapter goes with which name. Maybe you are already fill in the track number and I just haven't noticed yet.

I'm following the same naming convention used in MC for Audio.  Just display the "Track #" field in MC as this is what I'm populating.

Once the new version of MC is out (that populates the "Duration" field correctly), I'll look at an updated version that will:
- integrate into the MC menu itself). 
- check if you are using Authentication and store the details in the INI file automatically
- use the same naming convention as ChapterDB for the sidecar files "Title.chapters.txt"
- maybe an autoget function based on MD5 hashes

If there anything else let me know. 

Have fun at RMAF and get in Matt's ear!  This should be part of MC itself and not some dodgy script I've built!
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: Guide: Chapterfy (Particlise Anything - aka Manage Music Videos Like CDs)
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2015, 06:31:49 am »

Big update:
- New (Auto) option for MPLS files that will automatically grab a file from ChapterDB based on a MD5 match other users have uploaded.  If that fails to match I've written a (beta) MPLS parser that will get the Chapter Times from the MPLS itself (but no names, so you have to add this yourself).  This MPLS parser works well enough on "simple" authored discs but will produce odd results on more complex disks. Anyway you get to review and edit the results prior to applying them.
- Auto Config.  When you first run Chapterfy it will let you config the server address and logon info (if needed) and then create a INI file with the details.  If you need to reconf Chapterfy, just delete Chapterfy.ini (in the same directory as Chapterfy.exe). 
- Integration in MC.  The initial install will add some Chapterfy commands to the "Right Click --> Send To --> Send To (External)" Menu

Jim won the naming suggestion!
JRiver CEO Elect

Ekpen

« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2015, 07:41:06 pm »

From memory there were a heap of "wrong" ones (as you have found).   This is one uploaded by us last year, thought the last chapter is wrong and is only a couple of seconds.  Attached is the Chapter file with out this last chapter (remove the TXT).

I have no luck with these particles. I have mkv, it does not look like it works with mkv/mk3d files correct?

George

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2015, 09:05:55 pm »

Auto only works with MPLS, but the other options should work for anything (you just have to find the chapter file).  What are you trying to make into chapters?
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2015, 01:44:24 am »

New version of the script in the OP:
- Updated: MPLS Parser now should work with complex MPLS Structures as well
- Added: "ReadMPLS" button in the GUI

I'd be interested it seeing if anyone has issues with the "ReadMPLS" function as I could not find complete doco on it's file structure but think I have it worked out.

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2015, 04:31:48 pm »

Thanks for making this. I gave it a whirl but it produced an error on my first attempt. I gave it this chapter id - http://www.chapterdb.org/browse/36873 - though the same happens with http://chapterdb.org/browse/30121 too.

It did create the particles in either case though so not sure what the error refers to exactly. I scanned the logs and could see requests like

Code: [Select]
89562328: 6452: Sharing Plugins: CHTTPListenerWorker::HandleRequest: TCP: 127.0.0.1: GET: http://127.0.0.1:60000/MCWS/v1/File/SetInfo?File=311249&FileType=Key&Field=Name,Playback%20Range,%20Track%20#&Value=,00:51:19.810-00:52:33.984,18&List=CSV
89562328: 6452: Sharing Plugins: JRWebService::Process: Start
89562328: 6452: Sharing Plugins: JRWebService::Process: URL: /MCWS/v1/File/SetInfo?File=311249&FileType=Key&Field=Name,Playback%20Range,%20Track%20#&Value=,00:51:19.810-00:52:33.984,18&List=CSV
89562328: 6452: Sharing Plugins: JRWebService::Process: Finish (0 ms)
89562328: 6452: Sharing Plugins: VHTTPMessage::Write: Wrote 83 bytes
89562328: 6452: Sharing Plugins: CHTTPRequestMessage::ReadPreamble: Failed to read Method

which might be a candidate for such an error?

I suspect a nice enhancement would be to expose the request that triggered the failure as well as the response itself.

the chapterfy dialog also looks rather funky, text doesn't fit properly.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2015, 05:28:35 pm »

Yeah I've got to fix a bug for stuff with "&" in the name (MC sees it as a new argument).  Also what resolution are you running (so I can fix my text - I'm running 1920x1080) and I'll see what I can pump out over the next couple of days
Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
Re:
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2015, 05:55:43 pm »

The resolution is 2560x1440

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2015, 06:51:52 pm »

OK - Updated the OP with the following changes:
- Made Button and Text line longer in the Menu for those with larger Screens
- Better Handing of "special" characters (like "&") in Chapter Names

Pls give it a test and let me know (FYI - I'm using ChapterDB #36873 for the Adele BD)
JRiver CEO Elect

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2015, 06:16:54 am »

OK - Updated the OP with the following changes:
- Made Button and Text line longer in the Menu for those with larger Screens
- Better Handing of "special" characters (like "&") in Chapter Names

Pls give it a test and let me know (FYI - I'm using ChapterDB #36873 for the Adele BD)
looks good now, renders fine at 3200*1800 as well. You have a typo in the last line btw, "Select ALL Chatpers"

I retested on that adele bd and that completes without error now

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2015, 06:26:18 am »

Thanks for the testing!  & will fix the typo in the next ver.  Let me know if there are any other issues.
JRiver CEO Elect

Ekpen

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2015, 03:54:40 pm »

From memory there were a heap of "wrong" ones (as you have found).   This is one uploaded by us last year, thought the last chapter is wrong and is only a couple of seconds.  Attached is the Chapter file with out this last chapter (remove the TXT).

I am interested in this .
I have all my rips as mkv and mk3d.
Can MCutils or chapterise  utility work with mkv rips?

If so, can it work in a batch mode?
I have over 700 bluray rips on my hard drives.

Thanks.

George

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2015, 04:24:23 pm »

Yup - the "Auto" function will not work as it use the MD5 # of Bluray Playlist files, but you should be able to Chapterfy any file if you have the ChatperID # (as you have to enter this manually so not batch file).  Give it a go on 1 item to see how it goes (you can always delete the particles later without issue). 
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2015, 06:21:25 pm »

Updated the OP with a new version with slightly better handling for special characters in Names.  Redid all my Music BD, and most were found correctly with Auto those a few had better matches with entering a specific Chatper DB #.
JRiver CEO Elect

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2015, 06:52:20 pm »

Thanks for the correct Eagles chapter file.

I'm really liking Chapterfy. The integration you did with Send To in JRiver is very nice.

How are you importing the mpls file in JRiver? I import the Blu-ray, but that doesn't work for the Auto feature in Chapterfy. I tried to import a mpls from the Blu-ray, but JRiver said there were no new files.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2015, 07:04:06 pm »

I see what you are doing. You Auto Create BD Title Particles and then use one of the Title Particles to create the Chapter Particles. Perhaps this could be clarified in the second post.

Auto : If you have selected a MPLS (BD Chapter Particle) it will attempt to Automatically Look up a match at ChatperDB.  If that fails it will attempt to read the chapter times from the MPLS option below

Instead of ". . . MPLS (BD Chapter Particle)" it could read ". . . MPLS (Auto Created BD Title Particle)".

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2015, 07:51:08 pm »

:-[ - I'd presumed to much prior Particle Knowledge!  How does the 2nd post now read?
JRiver CEO Elect

jgreen

« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2015, 12:51:52 pm »

In the spirit of Particle collisions, perhaps we could name the plugin "Jmuon".

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2015, 02:34:29 pm »

:-[ - I'd presumed to much prior Particle Knowledge!  How does the 2nd post now read?
Looks great!

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2015, 07:36:58 pm »

New Version 30 NOV 15
Bug Fix : The Read MPLS feature would not return correct chapter start times on some disks (eg Rush - A Farewell To Kings)

JRiver CEO Elect

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2015, 09:55:20 am »

I love Chapterfy! It works so well and the integration with JRiver is so seamless. However, the ReadMPLS option does not show up within JRiver in "Send To (external)". Is this by design or a bug?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2015, 04:59:34 am »

Glad you like Chapterfy though I secretly still would like JR to build it in!

I made the read MPLS function as a fall-back when getting info from ChatperDB fails to provide a hit.  It is easy to add to the MC Menu if you think it is useful as a standalone call?
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up