INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony Movie Studio Platinum Vers 13 and JRiver 20.0.131  (Read 8676 times)

bming

• Recent member
Sony Movie Studio Platinum Vers 13 and JRiver 20.0.131
« on: October 11, 2015, 08:03:15 pm »

:'( I see the war between JRiver and Sony has not abated. I have tried  the disabling the JRiver Asio driver solution but once again the Sony software crashes when loading. Sony's advise was to uninstall JRiver completely (an throw it the bin no doubt though they did not say that). Unfortunately JRiver is too useful to me to do that. There are other editing products that load happily on my computer but I did ay for the sony so it would be nice to use it.
If JRiver cannot sort out their differences will uninstalling JRiver, the loading Sony software (without reinstalling it); then reinstalling JRiver work.
Note that the Movie Studio Platinum is the very latest build.

bming

• Recent member
Re: Sony Movie Studio Platinum Vers 13 and JRiver 20.0.131
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 04:50:20 pm »

I would hope someone has a solution that will allow JRiver 20 and ?Sony Movie Studio Platinum Vers 13 to co-exist. Has anyone (including JRiver staff) got any solutions.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 05:20:07 pm »

Note, I don't have ANY experience with this.  NONE.

But I thought I read, a few weeks ago, that uninstalling MC and reinstalling it with Sony's software install was supposed to fix this issue.  Do a forum search and see what you come up with.

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 06:24:21 pm »

I see the war between JRiver and Sony has not abated. I have tried  the disabling the JRiver Asio driver solution but once again the Sony software crashes when loading.
There's no war.  Did you try a reboot after disabling JRiver ASIO?

I believe Sony made a change in later versions that ignored JRiver ASIO, but I don't know the details.  Try their support again.

bming

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 07:22:01 am »

Sad to say Sony has not modified Movie Studio Platinum 13. I tried the solutions above. Uninstalled JRiver, Loaded the Sony Software (which it did do). Re-installed JRiver. The Sony software fell over mid edit and when I tried to reload it fell over once again every time before loading. Sony's advice was to dump JRiver. There are other video editing packages but only one JRiver. I did pay for the Sony package but will have to install it on another suitable computer (something I do not have at the moment) if I wish to use it.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 08:27:12 am »

I believe that Sony is opening every audio interface on the machine whenever the program starts.  For some reason, it doesn't get along with the JRiver ASIO interface.  I don't understand why they do this, but they must have a reason.

I thought that they recommended installing their software after ours, but order would not normally matter.

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 08:35:30 am »

I wonder if SMSP will run ok in a virtual machine?  Virtualbox is free:

https://www.virtualbox.org/

Brian.

chris-sony

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 09:52:39 am »

I believe that Sony is opening every audio interface on the machine whenever the program starts.  For some reason, it doesn't get along with the JRiver ASIO interface.  I don't understand why they do this, but they must have a reason.

I thought that they recommended installing their software after ours, but order would not normally matter.

I'm a programmer on the Sony Vegas team. I agree with Jim that there's no war between Sony and JRiver. Generally, we've not found a lot of overlap between Sony and JRiver users.

My best analysis of the situation is as follows: We discovered a crash related to the JRiver ASIO plugin back in early 2014 and reached out to the JRiver team. It seems that Vegas (Vegas and Movie Studio have a lot of shared code, so they behave similarly in this regard) is unusual in that we unload unused ASIO plugins that we don't need to save memory. Most ASIO hosts don't do that, so it's not a commonly tested feature in ASIO plugins. Well, we think (see below for deeper details and caveats) that JRiver crashes when it's unloaded. After an email conversation with the JRiver team, we were unable to find a solution so Vegas Pro 13 took the simple step of skipping the JRiver plugin -- that is, we never load it so we never hit the unload crash. That completely solved the problem for Vegas.

We did not add that same workaround to Movie Studio 13 (it was released before we learned of this problem) so I believe that it's still encountering the unload crash.

To be clear, I'm not pointing fingers or trying to place blame. I'd love to find a good solution that works for both products without needing to have a special-case for JRiver. My team believes that the crash is in the JRiver ASIO plugin, but we admit that we're accessing the plugin in an uncommon way and we can't really prove that my analysis is correct or incorrect. The only evidence that we have is that after unloading the JRiver plugin, Microsoft code is crashing trying to access something that's missing, so circumstantially we think it's something left behind by the JRiver plugin but there's no way to know for sure.

I hope that clears things up and perhaps helps some JRiver users find workarounds.

Chris

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 10:47:07 am »

If you go to Options > General > Features, and turn off the ASIO driver, it should be completely gone from the system.

Does that fix the crash?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 11:14:12 am »

I downloaded Movie Studio 13 as a test.

I installed it and it loaded by the Media Center ASIO driver without a problem.

So that's strange that you're having problems with it.  I wonder what could be different?

chris-sony

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 11:35:29 am »

I downloaded Movie Studio 13 as a test.

I installed it and it loaded by the Media Center ASIO driver without a problem.

So that's strange that you're having problems with it.  I wonder what could be different?

Matt, try holding down ctrl+shift while launching Movie Studio. That clears its ASIO cache and simulates a first-install launch. That's the scenario where our support staff have encountered the greatest number of issues with our software interacting with JRiver.

You should also be sure to test with the Platinum edition, which is the one with the full feature set.
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/trials/moviestudiope

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 02:37:39 pm »

I'm really riddled by this one.

It calls stop(...) on our driver and that works fine.  Then it unloads the driver and something must tank at that point because I see the stopped working dialog for the Sony app.

But what's happening after stop(...) is called?  The destructor of our DLL app object shouldn't be doing anything, so I'm really puzzled.

Thanks for any help.

chris-sony

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 02:45:39 pm »

I'm really riddled by this one.

It calls stop(...) on our driver and that works fine.  Then it unloads the driver and something must tank at that point because I see the stopped working dialog for the Sony app.

But what's happening after stop(...) is called?  The destructor of our DLL app object shouldn't be doing anything, so I'm really puzzled.

Thanks for any help.

Matt, if you want to take this offline you can get my email address from Jim. One possible explanation (and this is pure speculation) is that your DLL is calling CoUninitialize one more time than it's calling CoInitialize. Because when I was debugging the Vegas crash, I found that we were crashing when making COM invocations after unloading the JRiver DLL.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 03:17:53 pm »

Hi Chris, let's take it offline.  Shoot me an email.  I'm matt at jriver dot com.

Thanks.

bming

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2015, 06:04:11 pm »

Can somebody advise me when a solution is sorted. Even if one of you come out with an update you can tell me by via the fix notes.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2015, 06:54:24 pm »

Just subscribe to this thread.  You'll get notifications.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2015, 10:27:03 am »

Coming next build of MC21 will have this:
Fixed: Made the ASIO driver work with Sony Movie Studio.

The fix was a little gross because we just need to increment our reference count one extra time so that it's never released, because releasing it just causes the Sony application to tank.  Unfortunately it didn't tank when we had a debugger bound to the process, so it was a tough problem.  I'm not totally happy with the solution, but at least it's solved I guess.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2015, 11:38:21 am »

Found a little better solution.  The problem comes when the DLL loads JRTools.  I don't understand why, but I don't think the ASIO driver needs JRTools, so I took that out and everything seems fine now.

bming

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2015, 04:54:10 pm »

;) I look forward to the new release.
Pages: [1]   Go Up