INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV Requests  (Read 5007 times)

imeric

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
TV Requests
« on: October 22, 2015, 02:53:36 pm »

Here I go again :)...

I've been hoping for an MC version for the last 2-3 years that is comparable or better than SageTV for TV recording/Watching in terms of ease of use ("aka wife friendly") and stability...
I'm very very happy with the Audio side of JRiver, which is why I bought it in the first place...

In a nutshell for TV this is what I need to ditch Sage...(As I've probably posted about a 100 times in different shape or forms in the last 3 years on interact...):

EPG quality (Resolved with MC21).  For Canada anyway, definitely as good as Sage. So I wouldn't pay for more.
More recording Flexibility in subscriptions, (Needs Improvements so definitely not resolved and I need to rely on Sage).
Comskip playback visibility.  (I'm desperately waiting for this one...So still watching TV shows with Sage)
Multiple recording folders support (Was told it would be in MC21...Still waiting :) )
STB Support with Windows Remote and Hauppage Blaster (resolved in MC21!! Good work. Works like a charm now finally!)
Performance and stability (Needs improvements for TV to be up to par with my Old Sage).

So having repeated myself once more I'm a bit confused by this approach...

Cablecard, DRM support: Not needed for me and this seems very specific to the US market. So no value add for me (and most of the users out of the US it seems after reading all the posts..)

However if this means more $$$ to resolve my above usual whining and for more developers for a dramatically improved overall MC experience in terms of TV watching I'm definitely in.

That is if the price is reasonable and not for EPG (Unless you guys have to pay for some proprietary fees that I'm not aware of to Rovi or else with the current MC21 config...) Then yes the users should also absorb some of that cost if they use it for TV.

I really don't see though how you can offer this as one big TV package...Doesn't make sense to me.  Since EPG seems very specific to where you live I would definitely leave it out and sell it separately as a yearly subscription.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: TV Requests
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 03:54:19 pm »

I split this because the Kickstarter thread has a specific focus and this is beyond it.  It doesn't mean that it's unimportant.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 04:53:10 pm »

Some basic DVB features I would like
- DVB(and/or teletxt) subtitles
- Record multiple channels inside one mux
- Decent OSD with channel logos

EPG I get OTA and CI+ with PC has been made very hard to obtain so crypted channels doesn't interest me. IMHO judging by the features selected the kickstart project basicly handles US (CableCard and EPG).

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 07:40:00 pm »

Cablecard, DRM support: Not needed for me and this seems very specific to the US market. So no value add for me (and most of the users out of the US it seems after reading all the posts..)

It is of no use to me either, but it is almost mandatory to win over a whole bunch of WMC users as they migrate to Windows 10. Then as more users take up MC for TV, we will see more TV development, I'm sure.

Jim, maybe you should be advertising the Kickstarter on WMC forums, if you aren't already. The users there are a large part of your target market for the DRM capability.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 02:07:31 am »

It is of no use to me either, but it is almost mandatory to win over a whole bunch of WMC users as they migrate to Windows 10. Then as more users take up MC for TV, we will see more TV development, I'm sure.

Jim, maybe you should be advertising the Kickstarter on WMC forums, if you aren't already. The users there are a large part of your target market for the DRM capability.
I may try, but it's better if the interest spreads among users.  If it's a good idea, it should take hold.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 01:24:53 pm »

The biggest missing feature is some sort of Record Notification.  When your DVR (or VCR for us older guys) is recording, a red light it lit on the front.

The most minimal level for MC21 would be a red dot in the tray of the recording PC, with mouseover indicating what program was recording.

Preferred would be a small standalone application that could go in the tray of any PC, and communicate with the recording PC (presumably in the same way that Gizmo or JRemote do).  Some of us use PCs to do TV recording only and so we are never looking at its display, and thus notification on another PC is very helpful.

The freeware TV application Argus TV already has this small standalone application - perhaps JRiver could purchase it for a nominal fee (just as was done with mc2xml), rather than "reinventing the wheel".

Thanks!

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 11:09:00 am »

Thx Jim!!

CountryBumkin

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 01:22:27 pm »

The biggest missing feature is some sort of Record Notification.  When your DVR (or VCR for us older guys) is recording, a red light it lit on the front.

The most minimal level for MC21 would be a red dot in the tray of the recording PC, with mouseover indicating what program was recording.

Preferred would be a small standalone application that could go in the tray of any PC, and communicate with the recording PC (presumably in the same way that Gizmo or JRemote do).  Some of us use PCs to do TV recording only and so we are never looking at its display, and thus notification on another PC is very helpful.

+1 great idea! Maybe start with the "media server" icon on the server's taskbar just changing to red when its recording.

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 02:20:17 pm »

+1 great idea! Maybe start with the "media server" icon on the server's taskbar just changing to red when its recording.

Couldn't you do this by checking the GetRecordingSchedule MCWS and check the IsRecordingNow# value?  I imagine a quick little toolbar program could be written to poll that every minute.  Personally, with the way I use MC, this isn't a big deal.  My recording is happening on a server out of view and I operate my HTPC 100% in Theatre View.

My #1 request is a better way to manage the guide.  For example, using JRemote.  I want to be able to see the full guide is a nicer GUI, select to record items, etc.  Right now if my HTPC isn't on, I need to turn it on to get to Theatre View to setup a recording.  Or Remote Desktop to a server that's on 24/7.  Seems there should be a nicer way to get to the guide...  Like this: http://www.tvguide.com/mobile/

dallasjustice

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 09:04:43 pm »

My #1 request is a better way to manage the guide.  For example, using JRemote.  I want to be able to see the full guide is a nicer GUI, select to record items, etc.  Right now if my HTPC isn't on, I need to turn it on to get to Theatre View to setup a recording.  Or Remote Desktop to a server that's on 24/7.  Seems there should be a nicer way to get to the guide...  Like this: http://www.tvguide.com/mobile/
+1
JRemote needs to be updated to accommodate TV usage. Eg. TV Guide should be in jremote and simpler ways to navigate the theater view guide. For example, the iPad volume rockers can be used to page up/down the guide.
Pages: [1]   Go Up