INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server Setup: cannot connect with JRemote  (Read 3761 times)

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
  • Music and Audio enthusiast
Media Server Setup: cannot connect with JRemote
« on: November 26, 2015, 08:47:52 am »

Hello
this is my first post so be patient with me :) (I did read a lot on the web and n the forum but it is just a few day I am in the game)

I downloaded JRiver 21 on my Win10/i7 laptop (eval 30gg to decide if go for it) and I am struggling with server setup. I also bought a JRemote (just 10 EU ...) to see the effectiveness of controlling the unit from a smartphone (Android Samsung S4)

To make things simple I started to a small Music directory with a handful of mp3 albums with tags etc. residing on my external HDD
- I imported in the Main Library (I supposed this is kinda database residing in the JRiver directory right?)
- I tried first to use a mimim server (running on my laptop) with JRiver so I 'Add Libray'->'Library Server' and entered the URL of my PC plus the minim server port. Does not work.
Q1: does JRiver works with minim server ?(I like it because is great for classical music)
I the created a new library in the external HDD where the file resides. No problem with that importing and listening music

I then turned the media server on according to http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Server. I got the six ascii chars code and turned autentication on. I then 'Add library' and enter the code: then connection fails ... Curiously I am not asked for user name and password
Q2: is it a problem running the media server on the same unit of the client?
I also tried JRemote with the same code (I am asked for username and passwd now): still fails (cannot connect - unable to resolve host "webplay.jriver.com)

The goal is to use JRiver taking files from a NAS in my home network

Stereo:
DAW: Fanless Case Streatcon 7 with MSI A97I mobo, 2 x 8G RAM (Hynix) with Intel I5 CPU.
NAS: QNAP TS-531 with 5x4TB HDDs
DAC/ADC: RME ADI2 PRO
Speakers (active): 2 x ATC SCM50ASL
Subs (active): 2 x REL 528 Signature

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Media Server Setup: cannot connect with JRemote
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 09:10:15 am »

Welcome to the forum.

The easiest way to use the NAS would be to import the files from it.  Tools > Import and then add it as a location to import.  You don't need to run minimserver (UPnP or DLNA).

If you want to use DLNA, first read the topic on it on our wiki.   If there is a DLNA server running on the NAS, it should show up under the sources to play from in Playing Now.  Don't import the DLNA server it as a library.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 11:01:06 am »

^

To support Jim's advice, let MC do everything i.e. let it be the control point, the player, and the server. Let MC access the music tracks directly from a file folder on the hard disk or a file share on your NAS. You don't need minim server; turn it off (at least turn it off until you have MC working on its own; and even then once MC is set up properly, there really is no reason why you would need or want to turn minim on again..)

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
  • Music and Audio enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 05:17:08 am »

OK got it
I liked minim server since I listen mostly classical music. I will try JRiver server to check if it satisfy me (all server normally lacks for sorting the music on a 'composers' basis: classical has 'composers' and 'performers' rather than artist so taggin always jeopardize this

I will then try to stream using JRemote music from the server to a Popcorn A300 connected to my home network
still learning:)

thanks much
Stereo:
DAW: Fanless Case Streatcon 7 with MSI A97I mobo, 2 x 8G RAM (Hynix) with Intel I5 CPU.
NAS: QNAP TS-531 with 5x4TB HDDs
DAC/ADC: RME ADI2 PRO
Speakers (active): 2 x ATC SCM50ASL
Subs (active): 2 x REL 528 Signature
Pages: [1]   Go Up