INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting up MC with IceTV EPG in Australia  (Read 10548 times)

imugli

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Setting up MC with IceTV EPG in Australia
« on: December 11, 2015, 05:52:56 pm »

UPDATED 22/12 - Should be complete now.  

The aim of this guide will be to show people how to set up MC to use IceTV EPG data in Australia. There are other threads discussing the value (or lack thereof) of using IceTV, but I use them and think it's worth it. Furthermore, I won't go through EVERY step of setting up TV in MC as I think that's been done. I'll just cover the IceTV part.

You'll need an IceTV subscription from www.icetv.com.au.

Then you'll need to download their webget.exe program from http://www.icetv.com.au/cgi-bin/downloads.cgi?op=get_file&number=6. It's a standalone executable, so I just have it sitting in the root of my C:\ drive.

In MC, when you get to the part where you choose guide data source, select XMLTV

You'll then want to configure the executable as follows, where [user] is your icetv username and [password] is your icetv password (both minus the []) and -o is you desired location for the output xml file (so specify as you please). Load XMLTV results -

After that you'll go through the usual channel scan

Then come to the Channel management page -

After this, you'll see the command prompt open and download the guide

After that, you see the guide channel mapping window. Most channels will map automatically, but you may need to click on some and map them to a guide channel manually. It will say (click here to configure) where you have to do this.

Finally, select which channels you want added to your "Favourite" guide, and which ones you want hidden from the guide. if you don't select either option, it will appear under Guide in Theater View.

you can add TV Channel logo by right-clicking on the channel and selecting Channel Logo. I've added a zip with Oz TV Channel logos at http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=101878.0.

Enjoy.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Work In Progress - Setting up MC with IceTV EPG in Australia
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 07:03:45 pm »

Thanks very much.

zydeco

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 04:00:13 pm »

***Work In Progress***

Thanks for the great guide. The sole issue that I've found is that the high definition versions of the standard channels (e.g., ABC Channel 21) don't have guide information despite this information being there for the standard channels (e.g., ABC Channel 2). I've checked the guide and it has two channel numbers (i.e., 21 and 2) and the same XML Guide identifier is used in JRiver (i.e., 26) but no success. Hiding the standard definition channel and making the high definition channel a favourite doesn't solve the problem. Any ideas as to where I could have gong wrong?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 05:52:39 pm »

Thanks for the great guide. The sole issue that I've found is that the high definition versions of the standard channels (e.g., ABC Channel 21) don't have guide information despite this information being there for the standard channels (e.g., ABC Channel 2). I've checked the guide and it has two channel numbers (i.e., 21 and 2) and the same XML Guide identifier is used in JRiver (i.e., 26) but no success. Hiding the standard definition channel and making the high definition channel a favourite doesn't solve the problem. Any ideas as to where I could have gong wrong?

Are you using the latest version?

The following change should solve the problem if you are not currently using a version newer:

21.0.24 (11/24/2015)

1. Changed: When loading on-line EPG data, MC will create programs for all channels that match a given xmltv ID, instead of just creating them for the first found matching channel.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 06:35:21 pm »

Unfortunately the only HD channel the ABC has currently is ABC News 24. Channel 2 and 21 are identical SD channels, running 576i SDTV.

I hate to use Wikipedia as a primary reference, but I was looking for channel information including format broadcast just yesterday, and this was the best reference I could find:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_digital_television_channels_in_Australia

Be heartened though. While the law currently requires a broadcaster's primary channel to be in SD, there are movements in government to change that.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 06:39:43 am »

Thanks very much.

NP. Feel free to add it to the wiki if you deem it suitable.

zydeco

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2015, 03:32:12 pm »

Are you using the latest version?

The following change should solve the problem if you are not currently using a version newer:

Thanks. Yes, the upgrade to the latest version solved the issue.

zydeco

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Setting up MC with IceTV EPG in Australia
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 04:25:00 pm »

UPDATED 22/12 - Should be complete now.  

The aim of this guide will be to show people how to set up MC to use IceTV EPG data in Australia. There are other threads discussing the value (or lack thereof) of using IceTV, but I use them and think it's worth it. Furthermore, I won't go through EVERY step of setting up TV in MC as I think that's been done. I'll just cover the IceTV part.

You'll need an IceTV subscription from www.icetv.com.au.

Then you'll need to download their webget.exe program from http://www.icetv.com.au/cgi-bin/downloads.cgi?op=get_file&number=6. It's a standalone executable, so I just have it sitting in the root of my C:\ drive.

Thanks to all, especially imugli for this thread. I've been all set-up for some time but recently have noticed that the automatic running of webget from within JRiver doesn't work. If, for example, I uses Options / TV to "load guide" then it runs (and I see the command windows pop up) but the TV guide file isn't created or updated. The strange part is that if run webget from the command window with the parameters copied from JRiver then it works perfectly. Any ideas?

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 05:09:44 pm »

On webget.exe file,
Right Click > Properties > Compatibility
click "Run this program as an administrator".

and see how you go.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 06:35:47 pm »

I had an issue where I had multiple Tuner Profiles in MC, where a couple were old profiles from before changes in TV functionality which included Tuner Profiles. I had just been doing updates and letting MC sort out conversion from old settings to new settings.

Then at one point in time MC stopped running my external EPG collection program. The solution was to delete the old Tuner Profiles that were no longer required, and edit, check, and save the required Tuner Profile. Options>Television>Tuner Profiles>select the correct profile>Configure, then run through all the dialogues and check all is good.

Note, if you only have one tuner type, you should only have one Tuner Profile.

I also did a channel rescan at around the same time to pick up a couple of new channels, but I don't think that was required for the fix.

When I used to run WebGet with WMC and later with MC, I'm pretty sure I didn't run it in Administrator mode. But that may depend on where you are running it from, and where you are saving the resulting file. File and folder permissions need to be correct.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2016, 08:12:32 pm »

When I used to run WebGet with WMC and later with MC, I'm pretty sure I didn't run it in Administrator mode. But that may depend on where you are running it from, and where you are saving the resulting file. File and folder permissions need to be correct.

Yeah, I wasn't either until recently. Then, as Zydeco says, it just stopped updating the xml file when used through MC. It would run, but it wouldn't output a file (mine is on C:\).

zydeco

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2016, 04:49:16 pm »

On webget.exe file,
Right Click > Properties > Compatibility
click "Run this program as an administrator".

and see how you go.

Thanks - it looks as if that has worked!

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2016, 05:02:56 pm »

You're welcome  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up