INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW: Shared Views - Instructions  (Read 22747 times)

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
NEW: Shared Views - Instructions
« on: March 10, 2016, 11:39:10 am »

JRiver now has a feature for sharing Media Center Views which will make it's appearance in Media Center builds 57 and above.  To use it, you must have an account and be signed into our Doctor Who playlist sharing community.

This 'Shared Views' feature will enable you to upload your views to JRiver's "cloud" and to download and use other people's views.  It can also be used to simply move views between computers, for example from your home computer to your work computer.  The views are platform independent, so you can upload a view from a Windows computer and download it to a Mac computer.  

If you're not familiar with how Media Center's View system works, what we're talking about is what you see when you click on one of the media "modes" like "Audio", "Video", or "Images" on the left side of the program.  Media Center comes with a set of stock views, sometimes referred to as View Schemes.  These can be customized and you can add or delete views depending on how you want to organize and view your media files.

To upload a view:
  • You'll need a build from the MC21 board that is 21.0.57 or higher.
  • You'll need to be signed in to our Doctor Who playlist sharing community.
  • Go to a view that you want to upload, for example click on Audio / Albums in the tree.
  • From the main View menu at the top of the program, select 'Customize View...'.
  • In the center section of the Customize View dialog under 'Settings', scroll down and select 'Save this view...'.
  • Edit the view's name and description if desired, check the 'Also save to Shared Views server' check-box, and click OK.
  • If a view with the same name already exists for your user name on the server, you will be asked if you want to overwrite it.
  • A popup window will show whether the upload was successful.  The view is also saved to a 'Saved Views' folder on your computer.

To browse views on the server:
  • You'll need a build from the MC21 board that is 21.0.57 or higher.
  • You'll need to be signed in to our Doctor Who playlist sharing community.
  • From the main View menu at the top of the program, select 'Customize View...'.
  • In the center section of the Customize View dialog under 'Settings', scroll down and select 'Browse Shared Views on server...'.
  • A dialog pops up to show views that are available on the server.  There is a search box to filter the views shown - by view name or by the user's name that uploaded the view.  There is an Options button to select how the view list is sorted.
  • If you hover your mouse over a view in the list, a larger image of the view will be shown in the tooltip.
  • You can double-click a view or select one and click the OK button to download it to your local 'Saved Views' folder on your computer.  Then it will show up in the list when you select 'Load a view...' in the Customize View dialog.
  • Alternatively, you can browse and download views from the Doctor Who page.  Select Doctor Who under Playlists in the tree, sign-in if needed, then select 'Views' from the Doctor Who navigation bar.  Click on the cloud icon to the right of any view to download it.  For views uploaded by you, there will also be a trashcan icon to delete the view from the server.

Remember that before you can upload or download views or playlists, you must sign up for a JRiver Doctor Who account using your forum name if possible, and then use the e-mail you receive to activate the account

More About The Doctor Who Project

Please note:  Some users below reported problems with the Chromium engine in MC.  Switching to IE solved the problems.

Tools > Options > Tree and View > Browser engine
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: NEW: Shared Views - Instructions
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 11:36:29 pm »

Sweet
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

Arindelle

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 11:49:04 am »

Hey great stuff!

couple of questions

How does this handle views which are dependent on custom fields (specifically calculated and delimited list fields)?

Would these include display expressions? Column expressions? Thumbnail text expressions.

Can we upload Remote and Theater mode Views?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 11:57:28 am »

The files uploaded are the same .jvi files found in your local 'saved views' folder.

How does this handle views which are dependent on custom fields (specifically calculated and delimited list fields)?
They are saved, but will only work for you, or anyone who has constructed the same custom fields as yourself.
I think it would be good practice if saving for personal use, the reliance on custom fields is noted in the description so that others know that these are unlikely to work for them.

Would these include display expressions? Column expressions? Thumbnail text expressions.
Yes, Yes, and Yes. But again, as above, if these utilise custom fields, they won't work for others without those fields.

Can we upload Remote and Theater mode Views?
Not at this time. We cannot currently perform a local "Save View" on these either.

Otello

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 11:32:53 am »

Sorry Guys, I really like the shared views idea, but I think I'm missing something obvious.

I made some testing saving and restoring views, but I don't know how to access the text I put in the description box.
My idea was to copy my custom expression in the description, so you may later cut&paste them.

Thanks ;)

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 09:09:45 am »

I tried to create an account using my forum name and registered email address but never received the confirmation email. I have tried clicking on the "send again..." link multiple times too but i never get the email. I have checked me spam folder and that I input my address properly.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 09:11:06 am »

I tried to create an account using my forum name and registered email address but never received the confirmation email. I have tried clicking on the "send again..." link multiple times too but i never get the email. I have checked me spam folder and that I input my address properly.
That's probably a hotmail problem.  They block our e-mail.

JohnT

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 10:19:40 am »

Sorry Guys, I really like the shared views idea, but I think I'm missing something obvious.

I made some testing saving and restoring views, but I don't know how to access the text I put in the description box.
My idea was to copy my custom expression in the description, so you may later cut&paste them.

Thanks ;)

So you are looking for a way to copy & paste the description text for views that that you are browsing on the server?

Otello

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 11:10:07 am »

So you are looking for a way to copy & paste the description text for views that that you are browsing on the server?

Well, I supposed this was the function of the description text! :D

I realize I was wrong; so: yes, letting copy & paste the description is maybe the quickest way to make the shared views usable for other people, if you want: to actually share a view and not just make a backup.

Then, IMHO, the final goal of shared view should be a complete backup of your library setting, including your views and custom library fields.
Of course I'm not a programmer so I don't know if it's possible.

JohnT

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 11:59:28 am »

I realize I was wrong; so: yes, letting copy & paste the description is maybe the quickest way to make the shared views usable for other people, if you want: to actually share a view and not just make a backup.
For sharing a view with others, you upload your view and then others can load it from the view browser.  The description is simply optional text to tell others what the view is useful for.

Otello

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 02:15:36 pm »

Yes, of course.
But, do you think it's possible, at least, to make the text in the description box working with copy & paste?
Again, I'm not a programmer and I don't know if it's a simple modification. ;)

Arindelle

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2016, 01:06:37 pm »

Yes, of course.
But, do you think it's possible, at least, to make the text in the description box working with copy & paste?
Again, I'm not a programmer and I don't know if it's a simple modification. ;)
are you talking about "smartlist" sharing and not "view" sharing? If you are then just select the text before you open the save dialogue box -- then you can paste it easy enough

Otello

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2016, 01:17:19 pm »

Views, I'm speaking about views.

Of course, I did paste my text in the box before saving.
But - later, while restoring - I cannot copy this text from the saved view.

Arindelle

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2016, 02:21:18 pm »

ok, just started playing around with this and before I get into some more serious uploading

1- would it be possible to incorporate the filename and the view name like it is in the dialogue box?

eg. an admin view to show in the tree "Run Audio Analysis" with a filename Admin - Music Analysis v2.1.jvi ? You can do this in the program already. If I use the complete filename there is going to be extra text that won't be nice and would have to be renamed by the downloader; if the view name is used the filename I share will not be the same as mine after a download ... every time I tweak a view I'd have to add a version in the description or it would have to be in the name itself. It could of course still default to the view name like the program does automatically now.

2- would it be possible to share without overwriting/adding a new saved view? sort of a pain otherwise

3- would it be possible to collapse the views after they are expanded? Once they are opened with the screenshot they stay open in the Dr. Who panel

thanks for considering the above :)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2016, 02:36:41 pm »

We need to see some pictures from the Caribbean before we consider any changes.  ;)

Welcome back. 

Arindelle

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2016, 03:36:46 pm »

We need to see some pictures from the Caribbean before we consider any changes.  ;)

Welcome back. 
Thanks jim. Yep just got back I'll have to find some tame ones, don't want to make you guys too jealous :D

osmo67

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2016, 06:03:35 pm »

This is confusing for me as I do not understand on how to upload my list.  I believe I have selected the options, etc. correctly but nothing happens. :'(

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2016, 06:09:39 pm »

You need the latest build of MC.  21.0.65 is at the top of this board.

You need to have a Doctor Who account.

osmo67

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2016, 06:13:17 pm »

I have a Dr Who account and signed in.  I thought this might be a cool feature, but biggie.

Auerhahn

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2016, 02:37:21 pm »

This seems very simple: Sign in, browse, download, use. It works up to »download«. Then I read here: »Then it will show up in the list when you select 'Load a view...' in the Customize View dialog.« This is not true. It doesn’t show up in this dialog box. Is this a feature or a joke?

JohnT

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2016, 02:53:38 pm »

This seems very simple: Sign in, browse, download, use. It works up to »download«. Then I read here: »Then it will show up in the list when you select 'Load a view...' in the Customize View dialog.« This is not true. It doesn’t show up in this dialog box. Is this a feature or a joke?
After ensuring you're logged into Dr. Who, you should be able to go into a "Customize View..." dialog and select "Browse shared views on server...".  Then you'll see a popup like below and you can double-click or select and click Ok and it will download to your local collection:

After double-click or select/OK, you'll see:

Then if you click "Load a view..." from the customize view dialog, you should see it in the choices like so (I have three copies because I did it three times):

JohnT

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2016, 02:59:25 pm »

Which view are you trying to download and are you trying to add it to Audio, Video, or Images? 

Auerhahn

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2016, 03:03:41 pm »

The view is named »classical«. By »Otello«. I get the message hat it is downloaded, but this is not true. So it is no surprise that I can’t find it in the dialog where I sould select it.
(It’s the same in the other direction: I can check the box »Load up to server«, but it doesn’t happen. This means simply: The »shared view« feature doesn’t work at all.)

JohnT

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2016, 03:05:31 pm »

The view is named »classical«. By »Otello«. I get the message hat it is downloaded, but this is not true. So it is no surprise that I can’t find it in the dialog where I sould select it.
(It’s the same in the other direction: I can check the box »Load up to server«, but it doesn’t happen. This means simply: The »shared view« feature doesn’t work at all.)
Hmm,  when you click on Doctor Who in the playlists tree do you see the list of users and their playlists?  Can you download a playlist?

Is it an Audio view that you are trying to add Otello's "Classical" view to?

Auerhahn

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2016, 03:12:50 pm »

Yes. I can download a playlist. I can also download a view. But this has no effect. I can also upload a view. But this has no effect. It simply doesn’t work.

Just a little bit more stuff: I tried to upload a playlist. It works. But it is not true, that I can delete it. There is this nice trash can, but it’s just a funny ornament, clicking it has no effect. It seems to be a principle: whatever one does, it has no effect. Really nice...

wilfredjg

• World Citizen
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2016, 03:46:57 pm »

nice

Auerhahn

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2016, 04:28:55 pm »

One more thing: There is this dialog box. The screenshot here shows a file name, in my case it would be something like »classical«. But this is not the case. The file name is ».jvi«. But neither a file with this name nor any other is saved to the »Saved Views«-Folder. So the posting above is wrong and the message in the message box too is wrong.

May be the problem lies in this sentence: »The views are platform independent, so you can upload a view from a Windows computer and download it to a Mac computer.« Did you really try this? May be the views are platform independent, but this great feature is only for Windows? I use a Mac.

EDIT: Now it’s clear. The file is saved with the name ».jvi«. This means it is invisible on the Mac. And it is invisible for JRiver too, so it doesn’t appear in the box where I can select a saved view. If I rename this file somehow (lets say to »classical.jvi«) nothing changes: it doesn’t appear in the dialog where I select the view. And much better: If I close JRiver and open it again, the renamed file is deleted. This is really a funny feature. But what is it’s purpose?

It’s just more funny as I thougt. The file which is downloaded (».jvi«) is not a jvi-file, but a html. It is simply the source code od the login page to Doctor Who, as one can see from these lines which form the beginning of the file:

Code: [Select]
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<meta charset='utf-8'>
<meta content='width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0' name='viewport'>
<title>Sign In: Doctor Who</title>
<meta content='Sign-In to Doctor Who' name='description'>
<meta content='playlist sharing' name='keywords'>
<meta content='noindex,nofollow' name='robots'>

May I hope to find one day at east one feature in JRiver which is thought and built up to the end?

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2016, 07:31:11 am »

I have tried making accounts with my forum handle name (which links to a hotmail address i think) and making a new account with my gmail address. I never get a confirmation email at either account, and i have checked my spam folders.

Can I send someone a PM with my email addresses and have them checked or reset on JRiver side?

CountryBumkin

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2016, 11:38:26 am »

I'm having some trouble with this too.

I am logged into Doctor Who.
1) I am in Standard View, Audio
2) I go to View>Customize View and Saved Views>Browse Shared Views on Server
3) A dialog box pops up saying "You must be signed into Doctor Who to use this feature. Would you like to sign in now?" (bit I'm already signed in). I click "Yes".
4) Doctor Who loads in the background - but the "Customize View" window is open on top so I can't do anything with Doctor Who. If I click "Browse Shared Views..." it opens the "You must be signed on ..." popup, if I click "Load a View" it opens my existing views, so I click "Cancel". That closes the "Customize View" window.
5) Now I have access to the Doctor Who listings.
6) I click "Views". Then I select the "Run Audio Analysis" by Arindelle, and hit the download icon.
7) a popup says "Successfully saved view '.jvi' to your 'Saved Views' folder. (note there is no filename before the ".jvi"). I click Okay.
8 ) I go back to Views>Customize View>Saved Views>Load a View, but there is no "Run Audio Analysys" view (or ".jvi" view). Just the preinstalled JRiver views.

What am I doing wrong. Could the problem be that the view's "filename" is not being saved along with the .jvi extension?  

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2016, 12:04:01 pm »

Did you try a search for the jvi file from Explorer?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2016, 02:42:02 pm »

I think there's something up with that view, that and the whole "remaining logged into Dr. Who" thing, which is causing many problems. IVHO, that should be treated in the same way as Pix01, and if "Remember me" is ticked, it should do just that... Mine doesn't, it's a pain, and puts me off using it.

Anyhoo, there were more recent troubles stemming from the same view recently...

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=104796.msg728319#msg728319

-marko

CountryBumkin

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2016, 03:01:43 pm »

Did you try a search for the jvi file from Explorer?

I just did.
The file ".jvi" shows in the C:\Users\....AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 21\Library\Saved Views.

But there is no "name" associated with the file, just ".jvi"

And it doesn't show up in the "Customize View>Saved Views>Load A View.

I renamed ".jvi" to "RunAudioAnaylsis.jvi" but it still doesn't show in the "Load A View".

Maybe the process is just too complicated for me. But if it doesn't work for me then others will probably have trouble too.

BradATIMA

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2016, 03:28:20 pm »

This is a bug that is being worked on. I believe it is related to the download not being handled properly by different browser engines. Are you using the Chromium engine?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2016, 03:40:18 pm »

As a test, you could try renaming .jvi to named.jvi or similar. 

Sorry for the problem.  We'll get it.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2016, 03:41:02 pm »

Yes. Chromium.
I switched to Chromium so I could open Netflix (or maybe it was Amazon Prime) within the MC program, but I ended up not doing that anyways (since I couldn't go full screen with those services). I'll switch back to Internet Explorer and see if that fixes things.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2016, 03:48:30 pm »

It works with Internet Explorer. I switch to IE then restarted MC but still could not view the previous .jvi files I had downloaded (I even renamed the ".jvi" to "Pop-Rock.jvi").

So I re-downloaded the views I wanted and this time the popup download window showed that it was downloading with the full file name (i.e. Pop-Rock.jvi).

It now is viewable and it installed/works fine.

thecrow

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2016, 10:50:16 am »

Can I suggest you edit the instructions in the first post to state that you have to be using the Internet Explorer engine for this to work.
I was getting rather frustrated trying to get this to work until I noticed the last few posts in this thread.
Pages: [1]   Go Up