INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: More Specific Forums  (Read 4096 times)

bjsolem

• Galactic Citizen
More Specific Forums
« on: August 06, 2003, 10:18:18 am »

I think that this topic has been raised before, which is what led to my idea in the first place.  (how's that for circular logic)

Doesn't it seem like there should be some more forums on this board?

The topics on here are very broad, which is great, but I don't always get to check them as often as I'd like and it's hard to wade through everything to get caught up.

Using search is fine, but I don't always know what I'm looking for, and you miss some great suggestions by just looking for one thing.

I'd suggest something like this:

Media Jukebox 8 - I don't use it so I don't read these messages, maybe follow the same model as media center below, without the beta board.

Media Center 9- New user guide  - posts with good explanations could be put here, maybe an admin only board for copying the best info.

Media Center 9- New User Questions  - 'Safe' place for newbies to post questions and ask for clarification

Media Center 9- Problem Reporting

Media Center 9.1- Beta Test  - for those of us that need to see the latest and greatest release

Emusic

Third Party Plugin

Plugin Dev

Tivo

Since the support for this app comes from the users, it seems critical that the discussion board be easy to navigate and it would be great if it were easy to browse through only the information that was relevant to what you were interested in, the new user guide board for example.

Just a though

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: More Specific Boards
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2003, 10:20:55 am »

Two problems with this:
1.  More boards make it harder to monitor what's going on.  It's critical that we be able to manage the boards.

2.  More boards mean the energy of the group is divided.  Too little energy and the board doesn't work well.

We're not dead set against it, but it has to be done carefully.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
Re: More Specific Forums
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2003, 10:23:36 am »

well i still do think that steve should have a portable player forum (Ipod etc)
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

bjsolem

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2003, 10:33:52 am »

Two problems with this:
1.  More boards make it harder to monitor what's going on.  It's critical that we be able to manage the boards.

2.  More boards mean the energy of the group is divided.  Too little energy and the board doesn't work well.

I agree with your concerns, and I'm not saying that my suggestion is a perfect answer, just an idea.

I still consider myself a new user.  One of the main things that I've been looking for in the forums is tips and tricks kind of info.  Suggestions on how people are using the power that Media Center has in creative and new ways, or even some not so creative ways that I just hadn't thought of.  

It would be great if there was a place to find these suggestions without looking through pages and pages of issues that may not apply to what I'm looking for.  It's a shame that somone posts a good suggestion somewhere deep in a thread and most people miss it because they didn't know to read the message.

Again search doesn't work, because I don't know what the good idea is that I'm trying to pick up.

jleerigby

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2003, 11:36:14 am »

So it sounds like you want some sort of category to be added to each new post (mandatory combo box for example).  Then all posts would stay on the same board but users like you could choose to filter on category (Tips and tricks, Skins, Betas for example) before reading the board.

bjsolem

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2003, 12:17:15 pm »

So it sounds like you want some sort of category to be added to each new post (mandatory combo box for example).  Then all posts would stay on the same board but users like you could choose to filter on category (Tips and tricks, Skins, Betas for example) before reading the board.

That sounds great!

Jim - what do yo think, is it possible?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2003, 12:19:15 pm »

I do wish there was some cool way to show all the new messages on a big flat page, but oh well. I just get to exercise my clicker a lot.

Have you used this link?
http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?action=recent
It's "10 most recent" shown near the bottom of the "general" link above.

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2003, 03:17:52 pm »

>>> Two problems with this:
2.  More boards mean the energy of the group is divided.  Too
little energy and the board doesn't work well. <<<

I totally agree with Jim. I have been on other boards that had so many forums that I was always forgetting which ones I had asked a question on.  A good example of this problem is the many, many forums on the microsoft site.  I have long ago given up on them as being so complicated as to be pretty much intimedating & useless for the average user.

Also, getting an answer to a question was difficult as the board was so broken up into so many forums that no one really knew what forum was just for what topic so it was fractured and get as get can.  Not a very clean way to run a board.

I like Interact pretty much the way it is as all my questions & answers are usually on only one forum... neat & very helpful.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

bjsolem

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2003, 05:09:38 pm »

I have been sufficiently persuaded.  I wouldn't want anything to happen to break up the vitality of the board.

I do still like the idea of being able to filter on the type of post: tip, crash, feature request, etc...

MachineHead

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2003, 06:01:20 pm »

Two problems with this:

You have Mods now that could handle this.

There's plenty of this to go around. Remember the panes (pains?) ?

We're not dead set against it, but it has to be done carefully.

If considered: Please think about different forum software. Think HA. Faster loading and from what I've gathered, better forum management.

nila

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2003, 12:25:16 am »

I think a tips and tricks one would be a great idea though.

One that's locked and only the admins can post to.

They just take all the tips and tricks out of this forum and gradually build up that forum so it's perfect for new users to search through.

No OT's, No Bugs - just tips on how to do things.

the MC equivalent to the MS Knowledge base :)

nameless

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2003, 01:44:14 am »

The one forum idea that I find excruciatingly obvious is an OFF TOPIC forum.  If there were one, Jim would not have to go around cleaning house of OT threads.

Pink Waters

• Finally I understand the feelings of the few
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2003, 03:27:26 am »

A skin development section would be nice too...
Tamer

shAf

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2003, 07:25:20 am »

If I were to suggest an additional forum it would be with regard to "hardware" issues ... e.g., I'm trying to find out if MC is also affected by the ATI+Revo problems, as mentioned (but not remedied) at the AVS forum.

my CA$0.02 ... :)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

jleerigby

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2003, 08:19:47 am »

The one forum idea that I find excruciatingly obvious is an OFF TOPIC forum.  If there were one, Jim would not have to go around cleaning house of OT threads.

Or if my idea were implemented whereby threads are categorised (with a category set up for OT) Jim would find it all the more easy to find all the OT threads and remove them!

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2003, 10:37:19 am »

One problem with too many forums is that a relative newbie is less likely to get answers to questions by people that can really help them as we "experts" are off looking at other forums that we are interested in.   In other words, we never see the newbie's question on the other forums.

This has happened to me on more then one occasion on other sites.

I don't know about you, but I can't remember the last time I even looked at the MJ 8 forum as I no longer have any interest in it.  I do know that I probably could help some of the MJ 8 users with their questions but I never see them.

What was that old saying... "Too many bakers spoil the pie".
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2003, 10:58:29 am »

>> "Too many bakers spoil the pie"

depends on the pie
Fayetteville, NC, USA

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2003, 11:09:26 am »

That peanut is just "weirding me out".

You don't like Peanuts?

Is it because I Rub my self down with peanut oil?

Splish Splash I was Taking A Bath.. (In Peanut Oil Beads)

Want a banana?
Fayetteville, NC, USA

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2003, 11:43:06 am »

I'm not one to put words in people's mouths but...

The only reason Jim would care about (OT) threads is if...
a) they clog up & push out legitimate threads (I've never seen Interact come even remotely close to this)
b) they are racy, immoral, in bad taste, or just too controversial (true for posts in topical threads, too...but yes, the call on this is extremely subjective)
c) a topical thread is started, a solution is never given (or attempted), and the thread gets hijacked by OT posts

...otherwise, I think he likes them (and OT posts) as much as any of us do.

I have to agree on the dilution factor that occurs with too many sub-forums. The mentioned MS forum is a perfect example (but understandable considering how many product lines they have). Besides that, I'd have to ask for a raise if I had 15 sub-forums to moderate.

Bottom line...we all have to keep in mind that this is JRiver's support line first and foremost.

10-27

PS: yeah, I know...my post added nothing new here. I just felt I should throw in my two schillings

Pink Waters

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2003, 07:02:57 am »

Iam Still insist of being a skin development forum..
because in my thought if skinning development has gone faster and better.. MC9 forum will be full of topics redirects to mini-me. mega-me.. threads...

but a standalone skinning section.. would make us comfortable posting detailed and more organised topics..

thanks..
Tamer

jleerigby

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2003, 09:16:45 am »

Iam Still insist of being a skin development forum..
because in my thought if skinning development has gone faster and better.. MC9 forum will be full of topics redirects to mini-me. mega-me.. threads...

but a standalone skinning section.. would make us comfortable posting detailed and more organised topics..

thanks..

I think this would be counter productive ToMy00.  Many people who review this board would not use the skinning board so you would not get new people commenting on your work.

Pink Waters

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2003, 04:30:18 pm »

I think this would be counter productive ToMy00.  Many people who review this board would not use the skinning board so you would not get new people commenting on your work.

no.. i think people who would like to get skins.. will do enter the section! ;)
Tamer

TimB

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2003, 08:04:56 am »

I totally understand the issue of critical mass.

However, that said it would be nice to have a portables forum.

:)

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up