INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No longer able to play music via DLNA [Solved]  (Read 6501 times)

jphilpit

• Recent member
No longer able to play music via DLNA [Solved]
« on: July 30, 2016, 11:23:58 am »

I've been using Media Center for several years to play FLAC files over DLNA (I usually select the album in Media Center and push it to the renderer, rather than using the renderer to pull the audio from the server). I actually have two renderers: a Naim ND5-XS in the bedroom and a Yahama CX-A5100 pre-amp in the living room. But then ... I recently bought a new laptop (MS Surface Book, running Windows 10). I still see the two units in my Playing Now list. And I can select either of them as a zone to play to. But when I select an album and try to send the audio to either renderer, nothing plays. Each renderer is acknowledging the connectgion: for example, on the Yahama the pre-amp does turn on and change to "Server" as the source, and on the Naim it returns a message of "Waiting" to Media Center. So I know that the round-trip Ethernet signal is working. In both cases, the renderer is showing "No server" on its display, so Media Center must not be sharing its server.

Note that I can send music to the local player (i.e., not using DLNA) with no problem.

Is there some step I forgot to do? The Options dialog is showing the Access Key. And the server is listed as "Audiophile 12-bit DAC."

Any assistance to get my system running again will be appreciated.
John

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: No longer able to play music via DLNA
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 12:57:48 pm »

^
I suspect that your new laptop has a firewall issue.

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

jphilpit

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 02:22:19 pm »

My firewall is managed by Norton. In the Norton UI, there's a list of programs that the Firewall allows to run, and Media Center 21 is listed with status "Allow."

If the Firewall is, indeed, the issue, is there anything I can do to get my system back to working order?

If the Firewall is NOT causing this behavior, does anyone else have a suggestion on how to move forward?

krmasson

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 03:54:13 pm »

Hello,

(since your both renderers previously worked, I am not totally sure that my answer is pertinent, but just in case...).

On my side, I was never able to correctly and consistently push music from JRiver to my Naim. I eventually came to a solution described here, in a previous discussion: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=105606.0  .

Hope this helps if your problem is not related to a firewall issue.

CM

jphilpit

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 04:11:04 pm »

I find it hard to believe that the problem is because of the Naim unit, because my Yamaha renderer stopped working at the same time as the Naim unit. And they are both showing a message of "No server" on their display panel once each one wakes up after first being pushed a track.

None of what I'm trying to play is short tracks. It's rare for me to push a track of less than a minute's length.

Thanks for the suggestions,
John

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 04:16:13 pm »

^
Try downloading, the DMR Analyzer from my sig, and post the log here.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm

jphilpit

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 06:34:04 pm »

I downloaded the analyzer, as you suggested. I hope I figured out how to run exactly what you wanted. The program eventually found all my renderers. I selected "flac" as the audio type (because that's all I ever play). I was asked to select a test file, but none showed up in the list until I checked the filter checkbox. The only item in the list was an mp3 file, so I selected it and asked the program to test sending it to the Naim renderer that I had selected earlier. After more than a minute, a pop-up told me that the playback had failed, and I selected the button saying I'd heard nothing. I saved the log file to my desktop, and I've attached it here.

Thanks in advance for anything this test reveals.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 02:31:06 am »

Thank you for running the test.

It shows the following things..

• The DMRA is able to send UPnP SOAP commands to the renderer (Naim), and the renderer acknowledges them all with HTTP OK
  • The renderer is not sending any GET commands to the DMRA in response to the #SetAVTransportURI or #Play commands
  • The DMRA is able to send UPnP SUBSCRIBE commands to the renderer, and the renderer acknowledges them all with HTTP OK
  • The renderer is not sending any NOTIFY commands to the DMRA in response to the SUBSCRIBE

In other words the HTTP traffic outgoing from your PC to the renderer is working fine. Whereas either there is no incoming HTTP traffic from the renderer to the PC (unlikely), or any incoming HTTP traffic from the renderer is being mis-routed, or blocked.

In other words you clearly have a router issue or a firewall issue. You need to

a) Ensure that both the PC and the renderers have IP addresses on the same subnet that your router is set up to route for. Make sure that your new PC and renderer are getting their IP addresses via DHCP.

or

b) Ensure that there is no firewall (either on the router, or on the PC) that is blocking HTTP traffic, and b) no AV software on the PC doing the same.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 05:51:49 pm »

You might also want to reboot one or both of the renderers.
I've seen some that can get into weird states where they work kind of partially, like what you are seeing.

jphilpit

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 06:01:11 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion. I learned long ago that I now and then have to reboot (turn off and on) the Naim renderer, so that was one of the first things I tried. In an e-mail exchange with Naim Customer Service, it was suggested I try temporarily turning off the Norton firewall on my PC, and I was immediately able to push files to both the renderers (so we verified that was the base issue).

I'm currently on vacation in Iceland and soon the U.K., so I can't try any new changes until I get back to New York on August 25. I think my next step is to speak with Customer Support at Norton and figure out why this new PC is blocking the communications where the earlier PCs with basically identical setups have not done so.

All the best to everyone,
John

blgentry

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 08:20:56 pm »

...and cue the musical selection called "Another AV/Firewall Program Has Broken MC Again".  Sung to the tune of "You Never Even Called Me By My Name".

(This is supposed to be humor, just in case anyone wonders :)  )

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up