INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote Music out of Sequence  (Read 5265 times)

DavidMW

• World Citizen
JRemote Music out of Sequence
« on: April 03, 2017, 03:21:23 pm »

Before migrating to the Id, my music appeared in JRemote in the correct order. In fact, I was pleased to see "Disk 1" at the top and all the tracks in disk 1 then followed. As I browsed further, "Disk 2" would appear and all the tracks would be presented for disk 2, etc.

Since migrating to the Id, I now see multi-disk sets with the first tracks in each disk clustered together as:

1 Title (disk 1_track1)
1 Title (disk 2_track 1)
1 Title (disk 3_track 1)
2 Title (disk 1_track 2)
2 Title (disk 2_track 2)
2 Title (disk 3_track 2), etc.

A sample of my files titles for multi-disk sets is attached. Disks were ripped with dbPoweramp, and all have the appropriate tags for tracks and disk numbers.

What changes do I need to make so the tracks appear and play in the correct order?

aoqw76

• Galactic Citizen
Re: JRemote Music out of Sequence
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 07:44:00 pm »

Using the "i" button to show the track metadata (in a circle, top right, next to the shuffle button), does the display show a value for disc number? If not, then the id is not picking up/recognising your file metadata.
xubuntu lts 14.04 32 bit, running mc22.0.36 as anything later doesn't work properly over vnc. using linux mc22 as media server to windows mc22 last version / jremote on ipad.
I am the owner / sole admin for www.cyrusunofficial.co.uk ("fan" site for Cyrus Audio hifi)

DavidMW

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 10:04:08 am »

You appear to be on the mark.

So this is all very interesting. The JRiver Id attachment (photo of my screen- still don't know how to print screen on the Id) shows my library where the Disc # field is blank. Same with the File Explorer attachment of my library on my NAS. Strange how it all worked with MC for Windows. Is there a way MC on the Id can ingest the disc number identified in the "part of a set" field? If so, then that should solve the problem. Otherwise, I'll have to find a way to convert part of a set to disc number.

Also, how can I view the filename as the file location (on the Id and JRemote). It presently shows http://192... and it would be far more useful to show it as \\DISKSTATION\music\Louis Armstrong\The Columbia and RCA Victor...

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 04:25:03 pm »

I always use MCs write tags to files function, so that the tags are not just in the MC library, but also physically part of the media files themselves. That way, if you move them to another platform you don't lose anything. But it sounds as you may be too late. I hope not..
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

DavidMW

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 05:10:02 pm »

I thought my files were transportable. Crazy thing is that in macOS,  Finder displays "Part of a Set" (from Windows) as "Disc". So, how do I map "Part of a Set" or "Disc" to "Disc #" in MC? If I can do that, then my multi-disc albums would sort properly.

aoqw76

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 06:23:31 pm »

I've used "mp3tag" software to fix issues like this. It works for any audio file format, not just mp3. I cant be specific just now, but ther us an option to use file data and save in tags, and tag data and update the files. E.g. Use track name metadata and modify the file name. Also the option you need is to use the file name format which contains track number and disc number, and update the disc number meta data.
There are probably other bits of software that would achieve the same thing, you could even write a linux script to do it if everything conformed to the same filename format, and then run it recursively.
http://help.mp3tag.de/main_converter.html#ftt
xubuntu lts 14.04 32 bit, running mc22.0.36 as anything later doesn't work properly over vnc. using linux mc22 as media server to windows mc22 last version / jremote on ipad.
I am the owner / sole admin for www.cyrusunofficial.co.uk ("fan" site for Cyrus Audio hifi)

DavidMW

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 05:36:28 am »

I tried that as well. MP3Tag auto fills the Discnumber field with the correct disc number. That data just isn't migrating over to the Disc # field in MC. The other thing I was looking at was manually editing my multi-disc sets in MC (how many could there be...). However, even that proves difficult as the file names (i.e., "1-01 To Know Him Is to Love Him") are not displayed for me to find and edit.

Surely there must be a better way. Is this common with others seeking to import multi-disc sets into MC for playback on JRemote?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 05:58:40 am »

This should help:

Tools > Library Tools > Move/Copy Fields

Try a few before you do very many.

DavidMW

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 06:27:20 am »

Just beginning to explore that option. What field should I use as the source? I don't see a field in MC for me to use as the source. Is there a way for me to enter the value? If I could see the original file name in MC ("1-01 To Know Him Is to Love Him") then I could manually enter the disc number. Without that, I'm not clear how then to execute.

DavidMW

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 05:19:28 am »

Still working it without success. As I understand it, I need a way to see my orginal file names ("1-01 To Know Him Is to Love Him") and then be able to extract the first chartacter ("1") to then Move/Copy that character to the Disc # field. Alternately, if I could see my orginal file names, I could manually enter the first charcter. It would be a lot of manual entry, but it would get me to where I need to be.

In all the scenarios I have tried over the last few days, I have not been able to see the Disc-Track Number prefix which is crtical for me to make MC and JRemote work for me.

aoqw76

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 05:59:03 am »

Disc number (I think) should be a single digit, i.e. 1 or 2 or 3, rather than 1/3, 2/3, 3/3. Perhaps MC doesnt like the format so ignores the data? Mine is like that, anyway, just 1 or 2 or 3.

Anyway, this may help
https://forums.mp3tag.de/lofiversion/index.php?t18245.html
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=79763.0

DavidMW

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 07:06:30 am »

Thanks for the tip. Upon closer inspection, I have found some inconsistencies when I ripped CDs using dBpoweramp. Some, as in the case of Ahmad Jamal, has the disc number 1 (this is 1 of 9 discs) while others, like Louis Armstrong, has the disc number / total disks: 1/9 (this too is 1 of 9 discs).

I could see the need to parse Louis Armstong (disc = 1/9) but wouldn't Ahmad Jamal (disc = 1) be okay? In fact, all of my single disc CDs failed to auto-fill the Disk # field, even through the value is in the Windows "Part of a Set" field and the MP3Tag "Discnumber" field.

I think something like Library Tools may have some promise, but I need further guidance as per my post on April 7.

blgentry

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2017, 08:48:49 am »

Have you tried updating some of your files using Library Tools > Update Library (from tags)   
?

That forces MC to re-read the tags from the files and apply them to MC's internal database.  Highlight a file or two and give that a try.

Brian.

DavidMW

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2017, 09:16:20 am »

Brian,

I just tried that using the first track of the Ahmad Jamal example. I executed the Update Library (from tags) and the responce was "Processed 1 files (0 failures)". Howver, the Disc #  field remains blank.

David

blgentry

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2017, 11:21:37 am »

That implies that the Disc # field that MC is reading doesn't have a value in it.  It's weird that this worked on your Mac.

I would want to try the exact same files on MC for Mac and see if they still work when reading the tags, or not.

Brian.

DavidMW

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2017, 08:32:39 pm »

So, I think the mystery may be solved. So I followed Brian's advice and went back to the Windows (not Mac) version. I removed and reinstalled MC. And guess what, the Disc # data imported flawlessly. I already tried to remove (or somehow wipe) the MC library from the Id and then imported my music files without success. I will try it again tomorrow (more carefully) but may need guidance on how to remove and reinstall the MC application on the Id to replicate what I did tonight with the Windows version. Almost there (hopefully...)

DavidMW

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2017, 05:49:40 am »

Hopes dashed.  :(

I followed the exact same sequence on the Id this morning and the disc # number failed to load.

What to do???

DavidMW

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2017, 06:08:58 am »

I also began getting a series of error codes on the relaunch of MC on the Id. The file is too large to load here, but I wonder if that has anything to do with my situation?

From a screenshot converted to text via Adobe Pro:
Loading, please wait ... /deu/sdal: clean, 79905/1954964 files, 864991/7812352 blocks IHIT: version Z.88 booting l ok 1 Starting the hotplug events dispatcher: udeud. [ ok 1 Synthesizing the initial hotplug euents ... done. l .... 1 Waiting for l'deu to be fully populated ... [ 6.0543081 iwlwifi 0000:02:0 0.0: fir~ware: failed to load iwlwifi-?Z&SD-26.ucode C-2) [ 6.0543501 iwlwifi 0000:02:00.0: firAware: failed to load iwlwifi-7265D-25.u code C-Z)
l 6.0544071 iwlwifi 0000:02:00.0: firnware: failed to load iwlwifi-?265D-23.u code C-Z) done. [ ok 1 Setting preliminary keymap ... done. [ ok 1 Setting parameters of disc: (none). [ ok 1 Activating swap ... done. [ .... 1 Checking root file system ... fsck from util-linux 2.25.2 /deu/sda1: clean, 79905/1954064 files, 864991/7812352 blocks done. [ ok 1 Starting early crypto disks ... done. [ ok 1 Cleaning up temporary files ... /tnp. [info] Loading kernel nodule fuse. [info] Loading kernel module loop. [ ok 1 Starting remaining crypto disks ... done. [ ok 1 Activating lum and nd swap ... done. [ .... ]Checking file syste111s ... fsck from util-linux Z.25.2 /deu/sda3 is mounted. e2fsck: Cannot continue. aborting. fsck exited with status code B '. .-. i i: i_\ t ~~o<l.t-; ~;) . [ . · i.1 File syste111 check failed. A log is being saued in /uar/log/fsck/checkfs if that location is writable [warn] A 1t1aintenance shell wil 1 now be started. CottTROL-D wi 11 terirainate this shell and reswr1e syste1T1 boot. Give root password for naintenance (or type Contra 1-D to continue) :

I then hit Control D and the Id continued to load.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2017, 01:15:50 pm »

I also began getting a series of error codes on the relaunch of MC on the Id. The file is too large to load here, but I wonder if that has anything to do with my situation?

From a screenshot converted to text via Adobe Pro:
Loading, please wait ... /deu/sdal: clean, 79905/1954964 files, 864991/7812352 blocks IHIT: version Z.88 booting l ok 1 Starting the hotplug events dispatcher: udeud. [ ok 1 Synthesizing the initial hotplug euents ... done. l .... 1 Waiting for l'deu to be fully populated ... [ 6.0543081 iwlwifi 0000:02:0 0.0: fir~ware: failed to load iwlwifi-?Z&SD-26.ucode C-2) [ 6.0543501 iwlwifi 0000:02:00.0: firAware: failed to load iwlwifi-7265D-25.u code C-Z)
l 6.0544071 iwlwifi 0000:02:00.0: firnware: failed to load iwlwifi-?265D-23.u code C-Z) done. [ ok 1 Setting preliminary keymap ... done. [ ok 1 Setting parameters of disc: (none). [ ok 1 Activating swap ... done. [ .... 1 Checking root file system ... fsck from util-linux 2.25.2 /deu/sda1: clean, 79905/1954064 files, 864991/7812352 blocks done. [ ok 1 Starting early crypto disks ... done. [ ok 1 Cleaning up temporary files ... /tnp. [info] Loading kernel nodule fuse. [info] Loading kernel module loop. [ ok 1 Starting remaining crypto disks ... done. [ ok 1 Activating lum and nd swap ... done. [ .... ]Checking file syste111s ... fsck from util-linux Z.25.2 /deu/sda3 is mounted. e2fsck: Cannot continue. aborting. fsck exited with status code B '. .-. i i: i_\ t ~~o<l.t-; ~;) . [ . · i.1 File syste111 check failed. A log is being saued in /uar/log/fsck/checkfs if that location is writable [warn] A 1t1aintenance shell wil 1 now be started. CottTROL-D wi 11 terirainate this shell and reswr1e syste1T1 boot. Give root password for naintenance (or type Contra 1-D to continue) :

I then hit Control D and the Id continued to load.
It sounds like the Id filesystem has an error.
You can download the repair stick for your Id model and run the filesystem repair option.
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,94636.0.html

As for your disknumber issue, can you email me one of the files (a small one please) so I can try to duplicate it? bob (at) jriver (dot) com

DavidMW

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2017, 01:28:03 pm »

Bob, will do. Thanks!

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2017, 03:20:54 pm »

Bob, will do. Thanks!
Ok, I tried it here on MC 20 and 22 on linux and the disc number is fine.
Can you select a file on the Id, right-click on the file and do:
Library Tools->Update Library from Tags
(be sure not to do the inverse, update tags from library).

DavidMW

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2017, 07:43:42 pm »

I selected one file (but then tried a group of files), right mouse clicked on the track(s), selected Update Library (from tags), MC replied back with "Processed 1 files (O failures), but the Disc # field remains blank. On a second attempt, MC crashed.

DavidMW

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2017, 05:04:24 pm »

I worked off-line with Bob for a while (with many thanks to Bob). The auto-import needed to be set to /mnt/music. My struggle was that in MC, you can browse to select folders to auto-import, but I was uncertain about directly adding the mounted drive (as in the case with a NAS) and also exactly what to add.  Once I did that, and with the correct case (as it is case sensitive), everything worked. I am now able to see all my multi-disc tracks in their proper order in JRemote and with the disc # displayed in MC. Case closed.  :D

And did I say "thanks to Bob"?
Pages: [1]   Go Up