INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dragyn's Car Media Center  (Read 3506 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Dragyn's Car Media Center
« on: March 24, 2003, 04:27:29 am »

Sorry you have to leave Media Center behind when you leave home?  Maybe it doesn't have to be that way....

Dave (dragyn) just posted his pic's here:

http://www.jriver.com/photos/

I wish I had one like that!

Thanks, Dave.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
Re: Dragyn's Car Media Center
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2003, 07:34:31 am »

Holy shxt! I'm ashamed of my simple system, with a PC mobo with soundcard (soon two sound cards) built into a metal suitcase and controlled with NetRemote or an IR remote... Well, maybe my onboard MP3 collection is bigger than his...and my sub box is bigger, but then the car certainly is! It's a Chevy Suburban '95.  And if anybody thinks I've got an inferiority complex when I see stuff like that, they're totally and utterly...right! ;D

One question, though: Where the heck is the computer, and how is it cooled?  8)
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

fex

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2003, 08:05:22 am »

Never saw something like this. Just great!

dragyn

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2003, 02:46:36 pm »

:)

The computer is in the first pic underneath that green foam.

I don't have any cooling system back there. It's been working for almost 3yrs now without any problems. It has the original hard drive too. That thing has taken a beating over the years. I'm suprised it's still working.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2003, 10:02:50 pm »

Gotcha. I'm looking for a used mobo and a Celeron 1 gig myself for my car system since the old 433 mHz is getting to slow for MC9. These older systems don't need as much cooling as the latest state of the art systems. Good work! What kind of LCD display is this, and is it touch screen? It looks like it could fit in my car as well. Or is it connected to the TV out of your graphics card?  8)

dragyn

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2003, 10:35:26 pm »

It's a 6.4" TFT/VGA Touch Screen. The black around the screen is for the touch controller. It's about as big as a 8.6" non-touchscreen. I rarely use the touch features. There is a mouse touch pad in the center that I've been getting used to.

I have a switch box underneath the screen where it can input RCA video. I use this for the DVD player (5.1 sound).

The actual computer is an intel 500MHz. I'm running WinXP Pro and MC and it's actually pretty fast and works well. It takes about 15-20 secs to boot (hibernation).

I have a X10 Remote that I was gonna use too but it's connected through the PS/2 port so I haven't had any luck with it working with MC yet as it use COM configurations.

When I'm home, I can connect the car to the network. In the 6th pic, you can see a switch on the left side. I use Remote Desktop to copy files and configure MC. Trying to do that on a small screen/resolution is a pain.

Most of the files in the setup are using the APE format. I also have some music videos (mpg). Someday I plan on using divx for DVDs (AC3) but I need to get a 5.1 sound card and auxillary box first.

Another plan on the list is using GPS playlists. What this does is it will change driving music depending on the speed of the car. 55+mph would be highway music (pedal to the metal). It can also do volume control so like when you doing under say 20mph, it would be soft and when you are crusin', it can be loud and will adjust automatically. I saw this over on the mp3car forums. Seems like cool stuff. Hopefully I can get it to work someday.

nila

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2003, 11:53:35 pm »

Jealousy doesn't even begin to state what I feel :(

Looks sweet!!

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2003, 06:59:46 am »

Cool options! Only one last question: What kind of PSU do you use? I've been looking for a 12 V one here in Norway, but can't find it. And I don't know enough to make one myself.  8)

dragyn

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2003, 01:18:19 am »

I'm just using an inverter right now. I have other things that use AC power so it's not really an inconvience. I don't have any audio interference from it.

Dragyn

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 09:06:26 pm »

bump from the grave.

Just got my car back today but it has to go back in for a couple things ..... like ac/heat  :o
I know the folks at JRiver have seen this in the making but now it's like 90% done.

Anyway...

http://img149.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gtx01ll9.jpg

that's the finished trunk .. only thing missing is the computer. lol
I actually have to put a whole new one in (including the screen I fried).

I plan on upgrading it .. as posted earlier in this thread, it was only a 500mhz.

I'm figuring at least over 1GHz, Compact (it has to go underneath in the center), and of course ... running MC12!!

I'll post some better pics later
Pages: [1]   Go Up