INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CD burn track boundary problem  (Read 5494 times)

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
CD burn track boundary problem
« on: April 05, 2004, 10:42:29 am »

Hey, folks.  Not sure this is the right thread, but I was wondering about bad CD burns: I just made four coasters and I don't know why.  These are audio type CDs on 80 minute blanks of 3 different makes, the CDs burn pretty well, but when I hit track advance on my CD player, the player tells me it's track 2, but track one is still playing.  About 1:08 in to track two (per the CD player) the real audio track two starts.  And this goes on till the end of the disk.  The last track gets cut off.

I just remembered: I installed EZCD Creator 6 basic (came with the drive, and I HAD to do some DATA stuff, don't hold it against me!).

Is there some calibration that is done for the drive?

Any hints?

THANKS guys, or as they say in Maui: mahalo nui loa.

I am having the same problem using MC10.  When I burn a CD they play back starting in the middle of the songs.  Here is my system data:

Media Center Registered 10.0.106 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1003 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 81 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1400 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.57 (1008) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1997 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.57 (1008)

Ripping /   Drive F: SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-612    Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive G: SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-248B   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive G: SAMSUNG  CD-R/RW SW-248B    Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: No /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

JohnT

Re:CD burn track boundary problem
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004, 10:55:49 am »

Try unchecking the "direct decoding" option and see if the burn works ok then. Also, please provide more information about the CD burn such as:

1. the format of the files you're burning (mp3, vbr, etc.)
2. is the "apply cross-fade and DSP..." option enabled?

ctwalker12

• Recent member
  • It's me...
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2004, 11:28:54 pm »

Try unchecking the "direct decoding" option and see if the burn works ok then. Also, please provide more information about the CD burn such as:

1. the format of the files you're burning (mp3, vbr, etc.)
2. is the "apply cross-fade and DSP..." option enabled?

I unchecked the "direct decoding" option and got the same result.

The files are regular MP3 files.  Some are encoded at 128 and some as 160.  All from the same album and directory location.

Apply cross-fade and DSP..." is not enabled.  Nor is Write CD-Text.  The write speed is 48X which the drive supports.  I am not using Test Mode nor Eject after write.

I haven't updated from 106, let me know if I should.

roognation

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Resistance is /dev/null
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2004, 02:55:54 am »

I wonder if this problem has anything to do with the actual length of the CD being too long?  I thought MC9.0 would automatically check for issues like that, but when I checked/unchecked the cross-fade (4 seconds smooth) the total time on the CD did not change (16 tracks * 4 seconds = 64 seconds) as shown by MC9.0 before burning.

This leads me to believe that if the gap length is too long, and not considered by MC, then the CD might be longer than what is actually available (gap length of say 1.5 seconds x 16 tracks is 24 seconds); e.g. a 79:45 blank disc will not hold 79:40 of music in this case; the 24 second gap would make the disc take up 80:04.

Were there any majore rewrites of the burning code for MC10?

This is just a guess, so please feel free to poke holes in this theory.  Anyone?

Thanks for reading!
==
roognation
human electrode

JohnT

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2004, 09:46:43 am »

ctwalker12:
Do the tracks show the correct duration in Media Center? Are they CBR or VBR mp3 files? You can find out by selecting a file and choose File Properties/File Type Info in the action window.
Maybe you could create some wave files (use the file conversion tool) and burn those to see if you get the same problem.

roognation:
The cross-fade theory doesn't apply in ctwalker's case since he's not using it. I don't think overburning would cause track boundaries to get off. It would just prevent the disk from getting closed properly, or make the last track unplayable. If you disable the "direct decoding" and "apply cross-fade..." options, do you still see the same problem also? What type of files are you burning?

ctwalker12

• Recent member
  • It's me...
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2004, 11:11:02 pm »

The tracks do show the correct duration in Media Center.  The songs are cut off based on this time on the CD I created, though they start in the middle songs.  It is a total of 15 files and 57 minutes.

I converted the files to wav and I still have to same problem.  I am making too many coasters  :( ...

Here is the information from one of the files:

MPEG-1 Layer 3
128 Kbit CBR
44.1 Khz Joint stereo

Copyrighted: No
Original: Yes
Protected by CRC: No

ID3v1 Tag: (128 bytes)
   Name: Without U (Interlude)
   Artist: Usher
   Album: 8701
   Year: 2001
   Comment:
   Track #: 9
   Genre: R&B (14)

ID3v2 Tag: (2248 bytes)
   PRIV: <unknown data type>
  TPUB (Publisher): Arista
  TCOM (Composer): U. Raymond
  TPE2 (Band/orchestra/accompa..): Usher
  TPE1 (Lead performer(s)/Solo..): Usher
  TRCK (Track number/Position ..): 9
  TBPM (BPM (beats per minute)): 60
  TALB (Album/Movie/Show title): 8701
  TIT2 (Title/songname/content..): Without U (Interlude)
  TCON (Content type): R&B
  TYER (Year): 2001
  COMM (Comments):
  COMM (Tool Name): Media Center
  COMM (Tool Version): 10.0.106
  COMM (Replay Gain): -6.954
  COMM (Peak Level): 0.9415
  COMM (Intensity): 2

JohnT

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2004, 02:41:10 pm »

You don't have the "omit silence" option enabled do you?

ctwalker12

• Recent member
  • It's me...
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2004, 10:33:04 pm »

It took me a moment to even find that setting.  I only found that by putting a check next to "Apply cross-fade and DSP....".  I am not using this feature.  "Apply cross-fade and DSP...." has not and is not checked.

The 3 CDs (2 from MP3 and 1 from wav) all started at the same point.  The first song on the CDs was always the 3rd song I had set to burn and they all started at the same point, about 1:44 into the song.  The songs flowed in order from that point but none started at the beginning since the first one did not start at the beginning.  Since it starts at the 3rd song the last few tracks on CD has no music.

Any other ideas? :-\

JohnT

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2004, 08:53:31 am »

This is a weird one. I've tried different burns using my Samsung drive (sw-252) which should be quite similar to yours. I can't get it to replicate what you're seeing. I did a google search and only found one similar problem that someone had (also with a Samsung burner!!), but he solved the problem by turning off cd-text and decided it was a bug in the Nero software he was using.

Some random (shot in the dark) thoughts:

1. try a different media
2. try a lower burn speed (24X??)
3. make sure cd-text is turned off (also make sure direct decoding is disabled)
4. try ripping just 3 or 4 tracks from a CD directly to wave, then burning them
5. make sure no other background burning software is interferring (directCD, incd, etc.)
6. can you burn audio tracks with no problems in other software? This would rule out a hardware issue.
7. try setting the playback output mode to "disk writer", click settings and make sure "break output into individual tracks" is checked. Add some tracks to playing now and click the Play button. You won't hear anything but wave files will be created in the directory pointed to by "base output path" in the disk writer settings dialog. Try playing these files to see if they start at the correct location in the song.
8. send me your burner and I'll troubleshoot it here and then send it back. There's always the risk that it will work fine here because of some other hardware or software difference.

- John T.

Sauzee

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2004, 11:52:00 am »

JohnT

Using the latest build I have a track boundary problem. The index point for tracks on CD seem to come about 5 secs too early throughout the CD.

Burning mp3 192 CBR. Burning at 12x on liteon 48x writer.

Media Center Registered 10.0.111 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 2003 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 785 MB, Free - 424 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1400 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.60 (1021) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1999 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.60 (1021)

Ripping /   Drive X:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive X: CD-RW    CDR-6S48           Addr: 0:0:0  Speed:12  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2004, 11:59:41 am »

Sorry, didn't read everything.

I had a similar problem before, it seems like I changed from 4 second crossfade (agressive) to crossfade (smooth) and this fixed my issues.  I don't think I changed anything else, just the crossfade option from agressive to smooth, and my discs are all fine now.

Hope it helps.
pretend this is something funny

Sauzee

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2004, 03:34:01 pm »

I'm not using any dsp settings whilst burning - so that's not causing my particular problem.

Sauzee

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2004, 05:35:17 am »

I tried to solve track index problem by going back to official v10 release - same problem.

I fixed it by unticking option to decode files directly to CD.  However using previous very recent releases I didn't have to so this.

Also burnt with Nero no problems. So I'm pretty sure this is a bug in v10.

JohnT

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2004, 09:48:44 am »

I tried to solve track index problem by going back to official v10 release - same problem.

I fixed it by unticking option to decode files directly to CD.  However using previous very recent releases I didn't have to so this.

Also burnt with Nero no problems. So I'm pretty sure this is a bug in v10.

What format are the files you are playing? With direct decoding turned on, MC has to calculate the duration of each file so it sounds like the calculation is off. Perhaps try converting some files to wave first and then burn them (with direct decode enabled) and let me know if this works ok.

Thanks.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2004, 10:10:20 am »

I don't think I changed anything else, just the crossfade option from agressive to smooth, and my discs are all fine now.

I fixed it by unticking option to decode files directly to CD.

I just looked again, I also had unchecked this option.  So it does appear to be the culprit.  Sorry, I don't have any blank CDs now to make coasters with, so I can't double check.
pretend this is something funny

JohnT

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2004, 09:02:24 am »

If disabling the "direct decoding" option fixes the problem, please send me some of the files that you are trying to burn and I'll see if I can reproduce the problem here.

Thanks!
johnt @ jriver.com

Sauzee

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2004, 02:27:30 pm »

JohnT

I've sent you some of the problem files.

I tried burning a different set of mp3's and there wasn't a problem.

ctwalker12

• Recent member
  • It's me...
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2004, 11:51:37 pm »

This is a weird one. I've tried different burns using my Samsung drive (sw-252) which should be quite similar to yours. I can't get it to replicate what you're seeing. I did a google search and only found one similar problem that someone had (also with a Samsung burner!!), but he solved the problem by turning off cd-text and decided it was a bug in the Nero software he was using.

1. try a different media
5. make sure no other background burning software is interferring (directCD, incd, etc.)
6. can you burn audio tracks with no problems in other software? This would rule out a hardware issue.
7. try setting the playback output mode to "disk writer", click settings and make sure "break output into individual tracks" is checked. Add some tracks to playing now and click the Play button. You won't hear anything but wave files will be created in the directory pointed to by "base output path" in the disk writer settings dialog. Try playing these files to see if they start at the correct location in the song.
8. send me your burner and I'll troubleshoot it here and then send it back. There's always the risk that it will work fine here because of some other hardware or software difference.

- John T.

1. Different media has the same problem.
2. lowered burn speed to 24X and still have the same problem.
3. cd-text is turned off and direct decoding is disabled
4. try ripping just 3 or 4 tracks from a CD directly to wave, then burning them (same problem)
5. make sure no other background burning software is interferring (directCD, incd, etc.)  I closed Roxio Drag to Disc.
6. can you burn audio tracks with no problems in other software? This would rule out a hardware issue.  Roxio does not have a problem burning the same tracks.
7. try setting the playback output mode to "disk writer", click settings and make sure "break output into individual tracks" is checked. Add some tracks to playing now and click the Play button. You won't hear anything but wave files will be created in the directory pointed to by "base output path" in the disk writer settings dialog. Try playing these files to see if they start at the correct location in the song.  THE WAVE FILES CREATED DID START AT THE BEGINNING OF THE SONGS.
8. send me your burner and I'll troubleshoot it here and then send it back. There's always the risk that it will work fine here because of some other hardware or software difference. HHMMMMMM...

Since step 7 started in the right place, what can I do for burning to CD?

Sauzee

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2004, 04:20:00 pm »

JohnT

Were you able to reproduce the problem with the mp3's I sent you?

ctwalker12

• Recent member
  • It's me...
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2004, 10:19:18 pm »

I didn't receive the MP3s you sent.  I think they were sent to Sauzee...

ctwalker12

• Recent member
  • It's me...
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2004, 09:01:47 pm »

1. try a different media

- John T.

1. Different media has the same problem.
2. lowered burn speed to 24X and still have the same problem.
3. cd-text is turned off and direct decoding is disabled
4. try ripping just 3 or 4 tracks from a CD directly to wave, then burning them (same problem)
5. make sure no other background burning software is interferring (directCD, incd, etc.)  I closed Roxio Drag to Disc.
6. can you burn audio tracks with no problems in other software? This would rule out a hardware issue.  Roxio does not have a problem burning the same tracks.
7. try setting the playback output mode to "disk writer", click settings and make sure "break output into individual tracks" is checked. Add some tracks to playing now and click the Play button. You won't hear anything but wave files will be created in the directory pointed to by "base output path" in the disk writer settings dialog. Try playing these files to see if they start at the correct location in the song.  THE WAVE FILES CREATED DID START AT THE BEGINNING OF THE SONGS.
8. send me your burner and I'll troubleshoot it here and then send it back. There's always the risk that it will work fine here because of some other hardware or software difference. HHMMMMMM...

Since step 7 started in the right place, what can I do for burning to CD?

Am I out on my own with this now?? :-\

Sauzee

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2004, 12:53:29 am »

You're never alone here ;)  Sometimes you just need to ask a few times before things happen!

I sent JohnT some problem files a while ago but haven't heard anything.  However my problem was related to a few particular files - normally burning works fine.  Hopefully JohnT will get back to you soon.

Were you able to burn OK in another application?

ctwalker12

• Recent member
  • It's me...
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2004, 11:31:59 pm »

Thanks for letting me know.  

Yes.  I was able to burn the same files with Rixio Creator Classic 6.  I am going to go ahead and update to the latest MC release.

himini

• Recent member
Re: CD burn track boundary problem
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2004, 03:35:23 pm »

I am having this problem as well.  Sometimes the track time is off by 5 seconds, sometimes twenty.  This problem has only appeared since buying MC 10 (I used to use Media Jukebox 8 and I'm now running MC 10.0.173).  I don't think any songs cut off for me-- the only problem I have is when I go forward to the next track on my CD and it starts five to twenty seconds into the track.  I then have to rewind into the previous track to get to the beginning of the song.

I have not tried burning with "decode directly to CD" unchecked yet.  I will try that next.

I have Win XP SP1a, Samsung 352B burner,  and other burning software does not create this problem.  My content is usually mp3 songs ripped from my own collection using CDex at 128 kbps constant.

I just noticed how old this thread is; is there a solution somewhere I have missed?

Thanks in advance.
MC 11 registered
Win XP SP 1a
Samsung 352B combo drive
Sony DRU 510-A DVD burner
Pages: [1]   Go Up