INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it time to port MC to PocketPC?  (Read 5145 times)

Nolonemo

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm still a malla!
Is it time to port MC to PocketPC?
« on: December 10, 2004, 12:54:19 pm »

Have you given any thought to a MC version for PPC?  With flash memory prices plummeting, and hi-cap batteries available for some PDAs, it very soon will be feasible to use a PDA as more than a "daily load" music player.   I now carry a PDA and Creative Zen player with me, it would be great to be able to carry only one device.

The problem with PDAs now is that (as with the PC) the software currently available is useless for managing any sizable amount of music and/or eclectic library.  It would be great to have a stripped down version of MC for the PDA that retained the pane views and the powerful sort capabilities that make is easy to organize large libraries and find what you want to listen to easily, and/or to manage playlists effectively.

Plus I will alpha test for you for free!  ;D

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Is it time to port MC to PocketPC?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2004, 01:19:38 pm »

I would really like this.  I have an ipaq running Windows Mobile 2003.
Having the ability to connect to library server and also support shoutcast streams would be sweet!

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2004, 09:15:18 pm »

How would the pane views work on a PDA?  I wish I had a widescreen monitor so that I could fit more panes on there.  With a PDA I don't think this would work.  Maybe some sort of tabbed browsing at best.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

Wasted

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 08:08:00 am »

Yeah that would be very nice.

kwake

• World Citizen
  • Excellent piece of software, this Media Center...
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004, 04:23:27 pm »

I'd definitely like to add my vote for this. I'm hoping to find a new QTEK 9090 PDA/Smartphone under my tree this Christmas and would really like to be able to run a version of MC on it if possible (Windows 2003 Mobile SE).

I'm already planning on controlling MC with it using NetRemote.

Cheers,
Kwake

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2004, 10:07:00 am »

I've got that one (got it a month ago, when it came out). Very nice, and it runs NetRemote like crazy. But direct IR is close to useless, though. Far down on the left side and bad range. I'm afraid I'm too old to believe in Santa, so I bought it myself...
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

RandyR

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2005, 12:20:22 pm »

I'd like the same thing, but have another possible approach.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried using remote control software (e.g. radmin, pc duo, pcanywhere - type software) on a ppc to control a pc running MC (via wireless tcp/ip).  Resourse use would not be intensive, as all the "work" is done on the pc with the ppc serving only as a viewer.

"Theatre view" seems ideal for this - and if it works - it would eliminate the need for porting MC, netremote, musiclobby, etc.

The one application I am most familiar with (radmin) would only require a 1m program on the ppc.

Any thoughts welcome.

Robert Taylor

• Living in a Smokeless Zone...
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2005, 01:46:55 pm »

I recently bought an HP Ipaq RX3115, preinstalled with NEVO Media Control software.

It has it's own server software, but it works with MC's uPNP server.

I can browse my library, and play music wirelessly straight from MC/uPNP.

Nevo also has a universal (learning) IR remote function (and the RX3115 has consumer grade IR transmitter, rather than crappy old irDA).

FYI
Cheers
Rob

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2005, 02:03:02 pm »

That's pretty neat.  Thanks for the report.

RandyR

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2005, 02:19:55 pm »

LMV,

I'm not familiar with the Nevo software.

Do you see exactly what is on the MC PC screen on the HP, just scaled down in physical size?  Have you tried "theatre view?"

Randy

dcwebman

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2005, 03:36:25 pm »

That's good to hear. I have a 2215 with the Nevo but never played with it. Now's the time to get that wireless card working with it and try it out!
Jeff

Robert Taylor

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2005, 03:45:39 pm »

Nevo has its own interface. It comes with it's own media server on the CD (but after reading that it was uPNP based, I decided to try it out with MC's uPNP server, and it works a treat).

When browsing with Nevo, you see your smartlists etc. but they're "NEVO-fied", but still easy enough to browse...

One thing I have noticed (and I'm no uPNP expert), but when you choose a track to play, it doesn't seem to "stream" it, it seems to download it to the device and then start playing (even though the function in NEVO is referred to as "streaming media").

As far as the 2215 goes, I'm not sure what version of NEVO is on it. The RX3115 has Nevo 2 on it, if the 2215 is an older model it may only have NEVO 1 on it, which may not have the functionality of V2.

There may be upgrade options as well, check on http://www.mynevo.com

UPDATE: I just had a look on MyNEVO, and it appears that the 2115 is only NEVO 1. There doesn't  seem to be any upgrade available.

Cheers
Rob

RandyR

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2005, 03:56:38 pm »

Have you/could you try any of the "true" remote desktop software that runs on Windows Mobile Edition to control MC on a PC?

I'm VERY curious how that would work - especially with MC set to theatre view.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2005, 03:59:26 pm »

If what you're after is control of MC from a PPC, try:

NetRemote
www.promixis.com

or

MusicLobby
www.cinemaronline.com

RandyR

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2005, 04:08:43 pm »

Jim,

I've played with both NetRemote (various .ccf implentations) and MusicLobby.  They both have limitations that theatre view in MC itself does not have.

There ARE several remote control programs that have been ported to PDAs that are designed to permit direct control of PCs and viewing of PC screens from handheld devices, but I haven't tried them myself.

I'm hoping to get some feedback from someone who has tried this with MC before purchasing a PDA.

Rob L

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2005, 04:27:35 pm »

Surely the .CCF files only apply if you're using NetRemote IR?

You should be using NetRemote music, which is really quite a different thing.

I can't really see your point about using remote control software such as VNC etc. to control your PC from the PDA - of course you can do that - why wouldn't it work? - but what's the point? Theatre View is inherently designed to work on a large screen, not a tiny one.

Also, transferring the whole of the display output is a very inefficient way of doing it.

Products like Nevo and NetRemote are geared around just communicating the bare minimum and then letting the client render whatever display it wants.

risingdamp

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2005, 04:47:34 pm »

Jim,

I've played with both NetRemote (various .ccf implentations) and MusicLobby.  They both have limitations that theatre view in MC itself does not have.

There ARE several remote control programs that have been ported to PDAs that are designed to permit direct control of PCs and viewing of PC screens from handheld devices, but I haven't tried them myself.

I'm hoping to get some feedback from someone who has tried this with MC before purchasing a PDA.

Randy, please tell me one thing that MC Theatre View can do that NetRemote can't do.  If you manage to come up with something then my next question will be: Randy, please tell me something that MC Theatre View can do that the combination of NetRemote and Girder can't do.  I think I'll have you beat there!
JLee

RandyR

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2005, 04:56:44 pm »

Rob,

1.  Theatre view can do bulk deletes by doing the equivalent of ctrl-click in MC.

2.  From what I understand, it should be able to insert songs at various positions in the playlist and reorder the playlist - which I haven't figured out how to do!

3.  And...if theatre view can't do these things, I'd at least be able to do it with another MC view.

In Netremote/MusicLobby none of the skins seem to allow either bulk deletes, reordering or adding songs in any position other than the endl.

If you can show me how to do these things in netremote/girder, I'd gladly admit defeat.

I'm just trying to harnass some of the playlist managment capabilities (reordering, bulk deletes, etc.) that are avalable in MC, but arent' in NetRemote Music, MusicLobby or any other NetRemote skins/interface files I've seen.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2005, 05:00:37 pm »

CCFs are used for every version of NetRemote, it's the full configuration file.

NetRemote has the option "play next" for tracks and albums.
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

dcwebman

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2005, 06:01:25 pm »

UPDATE: I just had a look on MyNEVO, and it appears that the 2115 is only NEVO 1. There doesn't  seem to be any upgrade available.

Figures.  :(
Jeff

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2005, 11:28:55 pm »

Lunchmeat......

All of my files are saved as vbr high quality mp3s.
The docs in nevo say mp3 not supported.
I set the upnp server in MC to convert to Window Media.
I can browse my MC library ok.
When I select a song to play, I get an error that it can't play the file.
The error references a temporary file, so it appears that MC did it's job and converted it.  Example Van Halen - Panama.mp3 is being referenced as 238392.wma in Nevo. 
Can you review your settings and relay how this is working for you?

Robert Taylor

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2005, 09:07:19 pm »

ZxSix,

All my files are MP3 VBR (generally HQ). I thought I saw something which said that it doesn't support MP3 either, so I can't explain why it works just fine for me. Try using it with no conversion and see what happens...

I will try converting a coupla songs and do some testing.

What version of Nevo have ya got? and on what hardware?

Cheers
Rob

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2005, 09:35:24 pm »

Nevo 2.0.0.57

Ipaq rx 3115
PocketPC Pro 2003

With conversion turned off.... I select a song on the handheld and I get a message "The selected content is not supported by this media player".

With conversion turned on to Windows Media...I get the message "http://ipaddress:port/Music/761591.wma     Windows Media player cannot play this file because the file cannot be found or the file type is invalid."

Robert Taylor

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2005, 11:35:20 pm »

Interesting...I have Nevo 2.0.1.87...Ipaq RX3115 Windows Mobile 2003...only bought a month or so ago...

I think I'm mistaken...when I tried VBR with an average bitrate of 197, it downloaded the track, but refused to play...

No problems with a 192 CBR file...

Also, Nevo FAQ page says they support mp3 but not specific about bitrates...http://www.mynevo.com/Mynevo/Help/Faq.aspx

UPDATE: Okay just tried conversion to WMA CBR 256, get "UNSPECIFIED ERROR"...CBR 192, get same error...CBR 160...get "The source filter for this file could not be loaded"...

My Ipaq has Windows Media Player mobile 10 on it already...there's supposed to be an update for RX3115 users to WMP 10 according to MS website, but the link to HP's website is a dud...listing updates under RX3115 show nothing exciting...

Bit of a worry, there doesn't seem to be much activity on the Nevo website...
Cheers
Rob

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2005, 11:38:42 am »

Yes, I see my version of Nevo is slightly older than yours.  I scouted around for an update for it online and came up empty.

The help file on my pocketpc device says this about music media types:
1) WMA is supported
2) copy protected WMA supported only in local mode and not streaming mode.
3) MP3 is not supported in streaming mode.
4) WAV files are not supported in streaming or local mode.

So, based on that, I guess my only option is WMA.  I've tried some, but not all, of the WMA conversion options in MC.
Maybe next week I'll have a chance to try each option and rule them out one at a time.

I normally run netremote on the PDA, but that is to control MC's output to the stereo receiver, not to play the sound locally on the device.  Would be nice to have both options.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2005, 12:19:15 pm »

Lunch,
The day you first posted, I ordered the same iPaq and it's pretty cool.  I'm still getting the hang of it and learning its idiosyncracies.

Sometimes it works.  I'm converting to MP3, VBR, Normal.  File length seems to be an issue.  Short files play.  Longer ones give me an error asking me to free up memory.

Jim

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2005, 12:44:28 pm »

It has a feature I don't understand.  Media Control.  It apparently talks to the UPnP server you're connected to and tells it what to stream to another UPnP device.  In my case, the Philips Streamium in the living room is playing music from MC's UPnP server because I told it to with the Nevo software.  Very cool.

Robert Taylor

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2005, 01:41:07 pm »

Jim,

Yeah, it's a nice little device for sure.

What version of NEVO does your Ipaq have in it Jim? I also get the error about lack of memory. I put a 512Mb SD card in mine. I think that what you need to do is install all your apps to the SD card rather than the Ipaq internal memory, so NEVO has space to buffer.

It has seemed that I only get this error when I try to skip forward tracks, if I just leave it playing, it goes to the next track no problem, and keeps playing. I'm assuming this is a quirk with Nevo whereby it discards the previous track if you leave it playing (thus freeing up memory), but if you skip, it leaves stuff lying in the main memory of the Ipaq, not leaving enough room for the next track.

It is fun messing around with this stuff, even with the quirks...

I haven't even looked at the media control stuff. I gather it's a little like Netremote. I will get around to checking it out eventually. Just too busy at the moment, I'm in San Diego (from Australia) for what was supposed to be less than 90 days, but I need to stay longer now, so my only option is to fly back to Aus on the 13th, then wait a day and a half and turn around and fly back again...

Oh well...

Have fun with your Ipaq...

Cheers
Rob

kaiynne

• World Citizen
  • I Changed this by choosing profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2005, 01:49:54 pm »

this OT but lunchmeat, why are you going to fly back?  the 90 day limit applied only to the visa waiver program, that has now been canceled.  If you came into the US in the last 6 months or so you should have received a 1 year visa.  If this is not true and you are somehow still on the visa waiver program, consider taking a quick jaunt into mexico, you don't have to return to australia just leave the country.  You will probably have to stay in mexico for more than a couple days though so choose a nice beach resort, in the end it will cost about the same as the flight back to australia.

Been through this same issue many many times, but i have had my green card for almost two years so things may have changed.

Robert Taylor

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2005, 03:11:15 pm »

Kaiynne,

Yeah...the company I work for has checked this all out. I am on a 90 day visa waiver. Apparently it is no longer good enough just to go to Mexico, or Canada. So thats why this is happening...the government has clamped down on this as a lot of people were arriving as tourists, and then becoming semi-permanent by way of frequent flits across the border. This is what I have been told...

Thanks for the advice anyway...
Cheers
Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up