INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC Doesn't Detect Second Drive Correctly  (Read 5046 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
MC Doesn't Detect Second Drive Correctly
« on: December 19, 2004, 12:41:40 pm »

MC is incorrectly detecting my optical drives and can't use one of them at all (even to play media).  The drive works correctly in Nero, WiMP, and every other app I've tried to use it in.

I recently installed a new second optical drive in my computer.  It is a NEC ND-3500AG DVD-RW drive.  This drive replaced an older Pioneer DVD-R drive.  I also have a Lite-On LTR-48246S CD-RW Drive.  I think this may have been a problem before I got the NEC drive, but I never cared because the DVD-R drive worked correctly (of course I couldn't burn discs with it, so that wasn't an issue).   Here is my "System Info" stuff ...
Code: [Select]
Media Center Registered 11.0.149 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1655 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 681 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive E:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive D: LITE-ON  LTR-48246S         Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Drive E: LITE-ON  LTR-48246S         Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None
As you can see, drive E is detected as a second Lite-On drive, when it is not, it is the NEC DVD-RW drive.  Also, bizarre as it may seem, if I burn a CD through MC and select drive E (which Windows sees as the NEC DVD-RW drive) as the burning drive, MC shows the list of files on drive E in the tree and whatnot, but actually BURNS to drive D - the Lite-On CD-RW drive.

If I put an audio disc in the NEC drive, MC detects it, lists the songs (so reads the CD-Text), but will not play them.  It just lists "Buffering" in the top display and never starts playback.

I have clean installed Windows relatively recently, and needed to completely reinstall MC (around version 11.0.136 I think).  This made no difference.  It is possible that I have something in the hardware set up oddly I suppose, but as I said I am playing an audio disc through WiMP on the NEC drive right now that WON'T play through MC.  (I can list out the Primary/Secondary Master/Slave relationships if anyone thinks it is pertinent).

What the heck is going on?!?  As I mentioned, when I had the old Pioneer DVD-Rom drive in there, I thought something funny was going on .... I remember that it would list the Lite-On drive as both drives in the CD-Writer Options pane (as it still does).  Since I never tried to burn to the Read-only drive (I knew that wouldn't work) I figured it didn't matter.   I also remember that I had to switch the "digital playback" option off to get audio CDs to play from the Pioneer drive (then drive E).  I figured it was just a problem with the Pioneer drive (it was a close to first generation DVD-Rom so ...)
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: MC Doesn't Detect Second Drive Correctly
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 10:10:34 am »

Since it was discussed in this thread I figured I would mention it here (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=25139.0) I do have Nero installed, but it is the most current version.  It was installed fresh as a version 6+ (on the most recent windows re-install).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2004, 08:37:49 am »

Anyone?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2005, 11:03:43 am »

I figured this out finally!  (I'm quite excited because it's been bothering me for a LONG time).  I had previously checked to make sure that I had the Jumpers (master/slave) set correctly on the Optical Drives mentioned in the posts above, but never checked the hard drives that were connected to the same IDE channels.

Turns out, I had the Jumpers on the master hard drive connected to the secondary IDE channel (to which the misbehaving optical drive was "slaved") set to some weird configuration (which wasn't even listed as an option in the drive's "directions").  I fixed the jumpers and presto-chango MC correctly detected the optical drive.

It's odd that only MC choked on the problem, but nice that its fixed now!  I figured I'd post this in case some other fool is ever having a similar problem.   ;D 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2005, 11:06:41 am »

Thanks for posting the solution.

This is a good example of the type of problem that would normally make you think the application was at fault since all other apps worked.  They were just lucky.  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up