INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stuttering Sound? Odd Glitches With CDs?  (Read 2398 times)

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
Stuttering Sound? Odd Glitches With CDs?
« on: January 11, 2005, 11:56:13 pm »

I am trying this out right now and it seems to have made a difference on my machine.
I do not have a PCI video card, it is AGP. But it still had the high PCI latency value mentioned.

If you have had any of these odd behaviors, it might be worth a try for you.

It also might fry your motherboard, cause the end of the universe as we know it, and the downfall of society. It is a freebie, it has little documentation, it has no website.

But, as I said, it certainly made a difference here. And the idea makes sense.

"Utility to set PCI Latency and possibly prevent game stutter or improve FPS. This tweak is an important one, and one well worth checking into. Apparently, newer high-end video cards hog PCI latency for no known reason. This makes other components wait for access and causes stutters and lower frame rates. If you adjust the latency this might benefit you, users are reporting big improvements. You can download this small utility program that allows you set your PCI latency. Adjust the PCI latency from for example 248 to 64, and there's a very good chance of stutter free performance & sound."

http://www.audiotrak.co.kr/spboard/board.cgi?id=FAQ&action=view&gul=36&page=1&go_cnt=0

I'd follow the adjustment suggestions above as the values on the download site are extreme and aimed at a particular board and software.

dedidio

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Stuttering Sound? Odd Glitches With CDs?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2005, 05:02:04 am »

I was about to recommend the same tool myself but did a search which turned up this post.

When listening to music I was hearing glitches (no-one else was, but I knew they were there) - it was frustrating me sooo much!  Then I remembered that a while ago I read an article on pci latency and how it can affect the overall smoothness of systems and how newer graphics cards are hogging all the latency.

Well this tool let me tweak my graphics card latency from 128 to 64 and the glitches in the music are gone.  Woohoo!
http://www.theindependentstate.co.uk - Where everyone is as bored as you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up