INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TiVo 7.1a?  (Read 8544 times)

benrad

TiVo 7.1a?
« on: February 03, 2005, 04:24:23 pm »

Is anyone looking to get MC11 working with TiVo OS 7.1a?

Just checking the status.

Thanks.

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: TiVo 7.1a?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 04:57:37 pm »

Yes, I am.

j

benrad

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2005, 05:43:47 am »

Cool. Does it look like there's any way to port MC's Theater View to TiVo with the new HME SDK?

Shadowen

• World Citizen
  • He was but a shadow of his former self...
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2005, 08:18:22 am »

Cool. Does it look like there's any way to port MC's Theater View to TiVo with the new HME SDK?

That would be pretty cool if they could do that!

Marc

• World Citizen
  • Filthy Monkey
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2005, 08:25:14 am »

THAT's what I'm talking about.

benrad

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2005, 10:10:42 am »

That would be pretty cool if they could do that!

Yes, I'd finally be able to use Theater View.

benrad

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2005, 11:37:10 am »

Sorry to be incredibly annoying, but this is starting to be a problem. As many of you with large music collections know, the TiVo desktop application is worthless when using the HMO. I had purchased MC for its ability to serve to the TiVo...and now it doesn't work. Is JRiver making any progress on this?

Again, I apologize for being a complainer, but this was a big feature of MC for me.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2005, 09:09:30 pm »

Sorry, it's on my list, but I'm very busy at the moment. It almost for sure won't be this week, but early next week is looking good.

j

ahbrown41

• World Citizen
  • Music is good
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2005, 02:11:22 pm »

Thanks John, we look foreward to the new version  :)

RobOK

• long time MC user for PC, iPod and Tivo
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2005, 04:54:59 pm »

Just wanted to post my support for getting this working with the new Tivo version.  I just got it a day or two ago, it took me a day or so to realize why my music stopped working.  Ugh.

Should I go for the Tivo desktop software?  I have never used that before, but I guess to use the TivoToGo I have to use it anyway.  Is JavaHMO worth checking out?  I tried it a long time ago and it was very unstable and slow for me.  I don't know if it would work with the new Tivo OS anyway.

Sigh.

Keep up the good work guys.  Let me know if I can test anything for you in the next few day.

RobOK

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2005, 07:05:18 pm »

Ok, I don't know if I feel stupid or helpful here.  I did a "restart" on my Tivo and everything works fine.

I am on 11.0.133 and I manually add my computer's IP address into my Tivo for what its worth.  I had some network problems today, I don't know if that was part of the problem or not, but if you have recently received the Tivo software upgrade I would recommend a restart of your Tivo.  Couldn't hurt.

ScottCocoaBeach

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2005, 12:09:34 pm »

I had to restart my Tivo to get my other Tivo's and my Laptop to recognize it on the network.

I haven't tried it with Media Center yet but I'm not expecting it to work based on what I've read here unless there has been a recent update to 11 to make it work.

I have 3 tivo's and only one is updated, the other hopefully will soon.  The 3rd is the Humax with DVD so that won't be updated for quite a while from what I understand.

benrad

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2005, 07:51:27 am »

Ok, I don't know if I feel stupid or helpful here.  I did a "restart" on my Tivo and everything works fine.

I am on 11.0.133 and I manually add my computer's IP address into my Tivo for what its worth.  I had some network problems today, I don't know if that was part of the problem or not, but if you have recently received the Tivo software upgrade I would recommend a restart of your Tivo.  Couldn't hurt.

I've restarted my TiVo several times since the 7 upgrade (to try and get rid of the sluggishness and that annoying double button push problem, no dice) and MC11 still doesn't work. I can see my collection, browse it, but can't play anything but the first song in the library.

RobOK

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2005, 02:56:33 pm »

sorry if you have posted this somewhere else....but, what happens next?

After you play the first song does your Tivo crash or hang or what?  What exactly are the symptoms?

EDIT:  Never mind.  I see it now in the thread labelled "Tivo2Go support".  I am not having those problems.  I am only on 11.0.133 though, but I am a bit scared to go to newer revision to see if I would break it.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2005, 03:56:21 pm »

Hi Y'all,

I'm actually looking at this, but it will still be a couple of days. It's part of the
protocol that hasn't been used before, so I haven't implemented any of it.

Have patience, Thanks,

j

benrad

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2005, 06:59:42 pm »

Thanks for your work on this John, and again, sorry for being such a pest.

BenRad

RobOK

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2005, 12:59:50 pm »

I am only on 11.0.133 though, but I am a bit scared to go to newer revision to see if I would break it.

So of course I went and upgraded to get some faster iPod synching features and broke my Tivo streaming.  Ugh. 

Good work on the iPod front though.

benrad

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2005, 09:45:27 pm »

So of course I went and upgraded to get some faster iPod synching features and broke my Tivo streaming.  Ugh. 

Good work on the iPod front though.

Huh, that's funny, neither iPod synching nor TiVo serving works for me now, so basically MC is useless to me.

RobOK

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2005, 06:46:36 am »

Huh, that's funny, neither iPod synching nor TiVo serving works for me now, so basically MC is useless to me.

Well then you should definitely go backwards a few dot releases!!!  Its not worth it to not have those features.  For me, i can get by using the Tivo supplied desktop for a bit.

EDIT:  Tivo desktop s*cks!!!  please, please, please get MC working again with Tivo!  :-)

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2005, 09:35:30 am »

Hi Y'all, good news and bad news.

The good news - I've got a new version of the TiVo Server that might work.

The bad news - I can't release it for a week or so (logisitic problems, sigh) not even as a plugin.

Have a little more patience and sorry...

j

RobOK

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2005, 10:55:26 am »

well thanks for posting a status, we appreciate that.

anything you want us to "test" for you?  hint, hint.

Link

• World Citizen
  • Is that some kind of Eastern thing?
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2005, 11:26:13 am »

Thanks alot..... I'm really itching for that tivo update - I just finished my whole house wiring project yeasterday, and I'm dying to stream my music thru the tivo (aside from the one song that it is currently willing to play).

Thanks again for all the hard work and updates.....

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2005, 11:32:44 am »

Yes, lots of things I'd love for you to test. Unfortunately, there's other stuff pending as well, and it won't work without the whole package.

j

RobOK

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2005, 04:13:53 pm »

Thanks alot..... I'm really itching for that tivo update - I just finished my whole house wiring project yeasterday, and I'm dying to stream my music thru the tivo (aside from the one song that it is currently willing to play).

Thanks again for all the hard work and updates.....

Link -- can't you use the Tivo Desktop software?  I know its not even close, but here's what I did as a temporary fix.  I got all my MC playlists the way I want them.  I do an Export All Playlists from MC.  I point my Tivo Desktop publish base folder at the spot where MC exported all the playlists and in fact I delete a lot of the automatic playlists that I don't use.  So I am getting the benefit of the MC playlists even though MC isnt tecnhically the one doing the streaming.

Obviously if you make a change in MC it is NOT updated in the now static playlists.

Hope this helps.

Link

• World Citizen
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2005, 10:30:27 am »

Yeah, good ideas RobOK, but I have 2 large problems.

1) Most of my music is ripped to lossless formats that Tivo desktop won't handle.  Media Center converts it on the fly just fine.

2) My librbary is large enough to make Tivo occasionally choke and be a bear to navigate.

Thanks for the input though.

RobOK

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2005, 11:51:20 am »

Yeah, good ideas RobOK, but I have 2 large problems.

1) Most of my music is ripped to lossless formats that Tivo desktop won't handle.  Media Center converts it on the fly just fine.

2) My librbary is large enough to make Tivo occasionally choke and be a bear to navigate.

Thanks for the input though.

1.  what format?  Some people have worked on a plug in to convert WMA (not lossless) and might work on lossless formats too.  See:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/archive/index.php/t-124778.html

and do other searches in the Tivo Community boards.

2.  Yes, agree.  You would need to subset your library with playlists and only be using a subset of your library.  A work around at best.  Even with this apporoach I have found Tivo Desktop to be flakey.  Sometimes it just does not respond.  If it was my only option, I would be very disappointed in  Tivo HMO.

RobOK

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2005, 12:36:18 pm »

The bad news - I can't release it for a week or so

so a week or so....  that meant like three days, right??? right??   ;)  ;)

RobOK

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2005, 08:04:47 pm »

John G..... its looking good!

MC blasting thru my Tivo (well with some help from Rotel, Linn and Adcom, but you get the idea!!)

I am getting a lot of warning messages in the status area of the Tivo Server:

03/10/05 20:57:38 - Warning: Bad URL argument(container) Details=Basic
03/10/05 20:57:38 - Browsing container: 2
03/10/05 20:57:38 - Warning: Bad URL argument(container) Details=Basic
03/10/05 20:57:38 - Browsing container: 2
03/10/05 20:57:41 - Warning: Bad URL argument(container) Details=Basic
03/10/05 20:57:42 - Browsing container: 7
03/10/05 20:57:42 - Warning: Bad URL argument(container) Details=Basic
03/10/05 20:57:42 - Browsing container: 7
03/10/05 20:57:44 - Warning: Bad URL argument(container) Details=Basic
03/10/05 20:57:44 - Browsing container: 12

Not sure what to make of it, but I'm happy.  It seems very responsive and snappy (unlike the Tivo brand desktop server).

Good job!

I hope everyone has success with this build.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2005, 10:15:47 pm »

Hi Rob,

Yes, I know about them - I'm just not sure what they mean. The TiVo is passing parameters that I don't understand - they're not covered in the docs that I have. If they get too annoying I'll try to figure out what's going on.

Glad it's working...

j

benrad

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2005, 11:02:09 pm »

Yes! Thanks John...now I don't have to buy a Squeezebox2  :(

Link

• World Citizen
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2005, 09:26:33 am »

Works great here too!!  I get the same messages, but they are not really a problem..... Glad to be able to start up my tivo, dig thru my viewschemes, and get my music going.....  Thanks!

RobOK

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2005, 07:32:50 am »

Some bad news.... with both Library Server and Tivo server running, my Tivo tries to connect to the Library Server.  In the Library Server I get these messages:

03/12/05 08:25:29 - Received request for a file: TiVoConnect
03/12/05 08:25:29 - Error sharing file, file type not supported
03/12/05 08:25:34 - Received request for a file: TiVoConnect
03/12/05 08:25:34 - Error sharing file, file type not supported

And now my Tivo won't find the Tivo server.  Bummer once again.  I think the new Tivo OS has issues.  I may reboot my PC and see if that helps any thing as MC just crashed when I tried to shut it down.  MC crashes a lot for me when I try to delete files, so I don't know if it leaves a lot of threads active.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2005, 08:03:15 am »

Some bad news.... with both Library Server and Tivo server running, my Tivo tries to connect to the Library Server.
Make sure you have them running on different ports.

RobOK

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2005, 08:32:27 am »

yes, Library server on 80:

03/12/05 09:26:07 - Starting...
03/12/05 09:26:07 - Trying Port 80
03/12/05 09:26:07 - Starting Auto Detect beacon
03/12/05 09:26:07 - Running on Port 80

and Tivo server on default I think:

03/12/05 09:26:02 - Starting...
03/12/05 09:26:02 - Trying Port 8070
03/12/05 09:26:02 - Adding server to TiVo beacon
03/12/05 09:26:02 - Running on Port 8070

I restarted my PC.  Started MC without Library Server.  Tivo Server running and Tivo worked fine.   Ran Library Server and got above (two posts up)  error messages in Library Server log and Tivo was not connecting.  When I shut down MC it crashes with Microsoft "send error report" message.  And now even if I restart MC without Library Server I cannot reconnect with Tvio.   I suspect if I restart my PC again it will clear whatever is blocking (a port ?  a thread? a connection?  I don't know the right term)

Is there a process I can look for that might be still running?  There is no Media Center or Media Server process running or anything obvious after the crash.

Thanks!

EDIT:  maybe my PC restarting is not clearing something on the PC but clearing something on the TIVO.... some process that is sitting there waiting or something.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2005, 08:42:43 am »

Check gateley's instructions again.  You may be running part of the TiVo Publisher that you don't need to.

I seriously doubt whether our two servers can be tangled up, but anything is possible.

Make sure you can run each separately.

RobOK

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2005, 08:56:25 am »

The new Tivo OS seems flakey in the HMO area.  Sometimes our two Tivos can't "see" each other.

I had started the Tivo publisher and stopped it previously, maybe something was still running.  Typically I try to run NONE of the Tivo software and only MC   ;D

I'll let you know if I see any more pattern.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2005, 09:01:33 am »

Somewhere in Gateley's instructions, you'll find the correct way to shut down the TiVo software.  Part of it runs as a service which you can find in control panel/admin/services.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2005, 09:57:47 pm »

Hi Rob,

I've noticed the flakiness too. I haven't had time to track it down, but it's quite possible that the new TiVo software has a bug making it miss the initial connect requests (and of course, it's quite possible it's our software too). I've been able to get around it by trying twice or so, and if that doesn't work, restarting the server.

Jim's talking about shutting down the TiVo server via "Services" hidden somewhere underneath the control panel. If you don't do it this way, it will reappear at inopportune moments.

The strange messages in Library Server actually are normal. If the TiVo can't connect to your machine on the TiVo Beacon port (2190), then (after many seconds) it will try to conect on port 80, the HTTP port. Since your library server is running on 80, it's getting the TiVo messages and saying "I don't know what to do with these" :)

j
Pages: [1]   Go Up