INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Michel's XML Export Question  (Read 1438 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Michel's XML Export Question
« on: February 06, 2005, 01:02:56 pm »

[This got moved to another thread by mistake ]

Michel asked:

Where can I find the option to export only selected files to XML. The only one I can see is under "File-Library-Export to XML" and that one wants to export the whole library.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
Re: Michel's XML Export Question
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005, 02:58:15 pm »

There is a plug-in called XML export. That can be configured just the way you want to and used for that. it's made by Scott Raynel, and you'll find it on the plug-in pages for MC under Interface plug-ins. The download page for the presets made by Scott Raymond is here: http://pages.sbcglobal.net/scottraymond/Presets.htm.
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

Tanguero

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2005, 06:02:17 pm »

I just tried the plugin. The result file for my selection was about 10 MB. When I tried to open it with my web browsers, it consumed about 300 MB of my memory, and Internet Explorer warned me about active content. The memory consumption suggest (at least to me) that something is wrong, please correct me if I am mistaken.  The XML export plugin is a very nice idea, but it does not seem to work well with the ofther software I am using.

I am also a bit confused by the Microsoft.NET framework requirement on the download page. Why do I need that for processing local data?

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2005, 06:37:52 pm »

Open the file in some text editor (I doubt Notepad will do, but try Wordpad or maybe even Word) and see what it looks like.  Web browsers have trouble trying to render large files - that's why you'd really need a server-side solution if you're dealing with such large files.

Michel Lefebvre

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 09:33:51 am »

Jim,

I just tried splitting the database in 3 parts. I created a new blank database (cloned from my default library) and only imported the content of 1 of my 3 media HDs. (roughly 1/3 of my 30,000 songs).

I also eliminated from the library any pictures, videos and documents. Only music.

I was able to succesfully export that library to XML using "File-Library-Export to XML"

I then cleared the library and re-did the process with the 2 other drives.

in all 3 cases, I was able to export to XML the content of the individual drives.

I then imported the music of all 3 drives, tried to Export to XML and once again, the process gives me an Out of Memory error.

Any ideas? Would you like a copy of my complete and partial libraries and the resulting partial XML files?

Thanks.

Michel. 

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2005, 11:23:16 am »

Strange that you have a problem with it. I just exported my library to XML without problems. My library has 27708 files and the resulting file is about 27.5 MB. I also made a playlist of the files and exported it in MPL format without problems (MPL=XML export).

The way to export only selected files to XML is to make a playlist of them and export that playlist in MPL format.

I also tried to open that 27.5 MB XML file in Internet Explorer. It was the first time ever that my PC didn't have enough memory. It consumed all available memory before it stopped: 1 GB of RAM and 1.5 GB of virtual memory, 2.5 GB together. MS Word or WordPad can open the file and edit it.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2005, 12:11:05 pm »

if your not interested in all the file attributes, here is a quick & dirty way to do it.

Add the files your interested to playing now.

Slect all the files, ctrl+c, then open excel and copy+paste in there.

You can select which columns you are interested in or sort it ..and then copy+paste it elsewhere (if reqd).
Pages: [1]   Go Up